Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the course here. I know t's more of a chemistry based course, however I'm wanting to study specifically forensic science rather than the surrounding chemistry. I really want to study in Glasgow and the only offer place that offers is Glasgow Caledonian, which I've heard doesn't have a great rep?
    If anyone could give me any information that would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I applied for both of the courses in Glasgow, and I think that forensic science in general will always compromise of all three sciences, so even though the course title says "Forensic Analysis and Chemistry", once you get into the degree, you'll find that after your first and second year things will be a LOT more flexible as you are free to lean towards different aspects of your study? So I wouldn't be too worried just by the chemistry, you'll always find a lot of chemistry in these courses.

And for Glasgow Caly, I know it's maybe 3rd out of three big universities there, but Glasgow Caly are pretty good with their sciences! However, the course is situated out in Paisley, rather than Glasgow, so that should be something for you to consider.

I've also applied for the forensics in Dundee, Abertay, and RGU - you should look into them (if it's not too late 😬), they're also great courses!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aimeek16)
    Hey! I applied for both of the courses in Glasgow, and I think that forensic science in general will always compromise of all three sciences, so even though the course title says "Forensic Analysis and Chemistry", once you get into the degree, you'll find that after your first and second year things will be a LOT more flexible as you are free to lean towards different aspects of your study? So I wouldn't be too worried just by the chemistry, you'll always find a lot of chemistry in these courses.

And for Glasgow Caly, I know it's maybe 3rd out of three big universities there, but Glasgow Caly are pretty good with their sciences! However, the course is situated out in Paisley, rather than Glasgow, so that should be something for you to consider.

I've also applied for the forensics in Dundee, Abertay, and RGU - you should look into them (if it's not too late 😬), they're also great courses!
    I actually applied to all of those too haha, apart from Dundee, I applied for University of West Scotland instead, and I was under the impression that was the course in Paisley, and that Caly was still actually in Glasgow? I'll have a google to make sure though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by empix)
    I actually applied to all of those too haha, apart from Dundee, I applied for University of West Scotland instead, and I was under the impression that was the course in Paisley, and that Caly was still actually in Glasgow? I'll have a google to make sure though
    Aw **** yeah, I totally forgot about WoS 😂 I didn't apply because I didn't want to live in Paisley now I remember! Sorry for that 😂 You're literally the first person I've found applying to forensics this year - any replies yet?

ReputationRep:
    Aw **** yeah, I totally forgot about WoS 😂 I didn't apply because I didn't want to live in Paisley now I remember! Sorry for that 😂 You're literally the first person I've found applying to forensics this year - any replies yet?
    Haha i don't want to go to Paisley either but I didn't realise Dundee had a course so I just put it in to fill up my choices. haven't heard anything back yet, but I'm not in fifth year at the moment, doing my highers so they're all going to be conditionals. My guidance teacher doesn't reckon I'll hear back from them until towards the end of March so looks like I have a while yet to wait :P What about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by empix)
    Haha i don't want to go to Paisley either but I didn't realise Dundee had a course so I just put it in to fill up my choices. haven't heard anything back yet, but I'm not in fifth year at the moment, doing my highers so they're all going to be conditionals. My guidance teacher doesn't reckon I'll hear back from them until towards the end of March so looks like I have a while yet to wait :P What about you?
    Aw man, Dundee has a great course, such a shame you didn't find it! I think it's slightly different though, it's called Forensic Anthropology aposed to science? But it's my first choice for sure, especially since Sue ****in Black works there 😍 What an absolute champ she is hahaha but I didn't even know Strathclyde had a course until reallly late on either, I was totally putting off my application until I found another Forensics course, other than WoS 😬 Oh man, 5th year is shite, but just knuckle down and save the partying for AFTER exams! I didn't do so well in my 5th or 6th year (overall I have AACCCC and a D in AH biology 😭😂) so decided to sort myself out and do a HNC in applied sciences this year. Fingers crossed it helps me out a bit 😬

ReputationRep:
    Aw man, Dundee has a great course, such a shame you didn't find it! I think it's slightly different though, it's called Forensic Anthropology aposed to science? But it's my first choice for sure, especially since Sue ****in Black works there 😍 What an absolute champ she is hahaha but I didn't even know Strathclyde had a course until reallly late on either, I was totally putting off my application until I found another Forensics course, other than WoS 😬 Oh man, 5th year is shite, but just knuckle down and save the partying for AFTER exams! I didn't do so well in my 5th or 6th year (overall I have AACCCC and a D in AH biology 😭😂) so decided to sort myself out and do a HNC in applied sciences this year. Fingers crossed it helps me out a bit 😬
    oh I did see that course actually, but I'm not super interested in anthropology so I didn't apply! I definitely want to Glasgow though I have heard great things about forensics at Dundee so who knows! Yeah highers are tough but I've been predicted AAAAB so hopefully I can manage!
    So which 5 did you end up applying for?

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that the forensic chemistry courses are overall more interesting than the ones that focus on anthropology

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.