The Student Room Group

Chemistry hazards

Does anyone have any clue to the hazards associated with 2-chloro-methylpropane, only the hazcard on cleapps you need a login to get to so I am struggling a bit. Thanks
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by ruby_zara
Does anyone have any clue to the hazards associated with 2-chloro-methylpropane, only the hazcard on cleapps you need a login to get to so I am struggling a bit. Thanks

Are you at a school/college etc.? They have to have at least one copy of the Haz cards, you can ask them to let you look it up.
Original post by ruby_zara

Sigma Aldrich is very good at this. Type the chemical into the search bar and click on the "Safety and Documentation section" like so:

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/sial/19780?lang=en&region=GB

The hazard for this chemical is H225. You can then look at a hazard code PDF like so https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/content/dam/sigma-aldrich/docs/promo_NOT_INDEXED/General_Information/1/h_overview.pdf:

H225 corresponds to "highly flammable liquid and vapour".
Original post by Pigster
Are you at a school/college etc.? They have to have at least one copy of the Haz cards, you can ask them to let you look it up.

The school would need membership to CLEAPSS (not all schools have it) to have access to hazcards, plus then they then need to purchase a set. Given how tight budgets are they wouldn't lend out possibly there only set to students since they probably wouldn't get them back. The Science technicians may have time to print off a copy if you ask very very nicely.

But anyway OP look up a MSDS :yy: That would have all the information you need surely and more.
Reply 5
The Hazcard for 2-chloro-2-methylpropane (the -2- is required) says highly flammable (flash point -30 oC) and dangerous with sodium, explosive reaction occurs.

Quick Reply