Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I decided to pick biology,chemistry and maths and history i'm in year 11 currently.I want to do medicine at university,but im starting to worry if i dont get a place at a course for medicine there is no other course I would really want to do except computer science, as im doing computer science gcse and i really enjoy it but i would enjoy doing medicine more but if i dont get into medical school, i only would want to do computer science.Also now im sure I want to do medicine but what if i end up changing my mind and think its not for me anymore, i would only want to do computer science. But the dilemma is to do computer science at university, im scared i would be at a disadvantage if i dont do further maths, especially for universities like imperial.But if i was to keep wanting to do medicine and i picked further maths, I heard medical schools hate it when you do further and many people have not recommended me to do further maths if i was to go for medicine.My mathematical ability is not too bad , but im not naturally gifted at maths or anything, im hoping to get at least an 8 for gcse maths, thats what im aiming for, but if i will get it, we will have to see.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    Hello, I decided to pick biology,chemistry and maths and history i'm in year 11 currently.I want to do medicine at university,but im starting to worry if i dont get a place at a course for medicine there is no other course I would really want to do except computer science, as im doing computer science gcse and i really enjoy it but i would enjoy doing medicine more but if i dont get into medical school, i only would want to do computer science.Also now im sure I want to do medicine but what if i end up changing my mind and think its not for me anymore, i would only want to do computer science. But the dilemma is to do computer science at university, im scared i would be at a disadvantage if i dont do further maths, especially for universities like imperial.But if i was to keep wanting to do medicine and i picked further maths, I heard medical schools hate it when you do further and many people have not recommended me to do further maths if i was to go for medicine.My mathematical ability is not too bad , but im not naturally gifted at maths or anything, im hoping to get at least an 8 for gcse maths, thats what im aiming for, but if i will get it, we will have to see.
    I just had a look at KCL's CompSci course and they don't require FM, so it's not all doom and gloom (I know it's not on the same level as ICL but still)

Perhaps you can take AS FM and make a decision after Y12? As far as I am aware that shouldn't impact your medicine application - only if you do Maths/FM/3rd subject as A2s... someone will correct me if I am wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Most places don't require further maths for computer science only really imperial. I would recommend taking computer science a-level instead of history because you would be in a better position if you ended up doing computer science rather than medicine. Although most computer science courses only require maths it is good to have a-level computer science or you may struggle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Further maths as a 4th subject is not a problem for medicine. Most people only do 3 a-levels anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Further maths is not a requirement anywhere except in ICL. Do CS A-level instead of history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fadel)
    Further maths is not a requirement anywhere except in ICL. Do CS A-level instead of history.
    How many computer science courses have CS as a requirement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Most don't, but its one of the preferred subjects for most courses

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    All you really need for Comp Sci at uni is a passion for the subject and A-Level maths, even then some universities don't mind not having maths. Having talked to some staff from different universities, they prefer not having CS A Level as it gives students bad habits, a lot of the first year content covers most of the A-Level course so it's not normally required

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaitrip)
    Most don't, but its one of the preferred subjects for most courses
    Oh I see so CS is generally preferred, but F.maths isn't?

ReputationRep:
    None, doesn't mean it should'nt be taken. It is easier than FM and more helpful than history in OP's case.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I see so CS is generally preferred, but F.maths isn't?
    CS is listed as one of the preferred subjects for most universities. Further maths isn't needed at all for computer science

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fadel)
    None, doesn't mean it should'nt be taken. It is easier than FM and more helpful than history in OP's case.
    Would it be better to do further maths instead of cs instead if change my mind?

ReputationRep:
    Most places don't require further maths for computer science only really imperial. I would recommend taking computer science a-level instead of history because you would be in a better position if you ended up doing computer science rather than medicine. Although most computer science courses only require maths it is good to have a-level computer science or you may struggle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The thing is if i was to take computer science the school that offers computer science would make me drop 1 subject at the end of the year and that would mean i would have to drop cs because i would have to keep maths,bio and chemistry, and if i did further maths the school counts maths and further maths as one subject so i wouldnt have to drop ti and so i thought history is a better option as i would only do ti for one year and i find history not to hard so i thought i go for a respectable but still not too hard subject.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But if i was to do cs the school that offers cs would make em drop one a level in second year, and if i do maths and further maths i wouldnt have to drop further maths or maths as maths and further maths count as one subject and i thought history would be better as a 4th a level as its easier then cs and would be less time consuming and there is no point doing cs for 1 year only so might as well go for an easier subject if i would only do it for 1 year, thats why i picked history.So in 2nd year i would drop history and continue with maths,fm,chemistry and biology. But im not sure because i doubt my abilities in maths as im not that amazing at maths like im okay?But im scared it would impact my other grades for other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    I just had a look at KCL's CompSci course and they don't require FM, so it's not all doom and gloom (I know it's not on the same level as ICL but still)

Perhaps you can take AS FM and make a decision after Y12? As far as I am aware that shouldn't impact your medicine application - only if you do Maths/FM/3rd subject as A2s... someone will correct me if I am wrong.
    The thing is i really like icl, i visited it it and i really liked it a lot and its not too far away for me and i like the location a lot and how the uni has a lot to do with technology. Im not too crazy about kcl lets just say, its a good school and everything but i really like icl. Also what about oxbridge?

ReputationRep:
    Would it be better to do further maths instead of cs instead if change my mind?
    Depends on what course you're going. If you plan on going CS, then it's kind of hard to answer because both CS and FM will hlep you through your uni years. I would say go with CS because you'd be familiar with the basics, maybe you'd change your mind.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is i really like icl, i visited it it and i really liked it a lot and its not too far away for me and i like the location a lot and how the uni has a lot to do with technology. Im not too crazy about kcl lets just say, its a good school and everything but i really like icl. Also what about oxbridge?
    Oxford "strongly recommend" further maths.

https://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/u...al_offers.html

Some Cambridge colleges require further maths.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...mputer-science

I feel FM would be more useful to you for the top unis, which seem to have a much more mathematical emphasis than the others, but CS is not my area of expertise. I think you need to go through lots of unis (like 15+) that you would consider applying to and look at what they want, then once you have that info make a decision.

ReputationRep:
    do further maths instead of history, CS as an a level generally isn't respected that much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacetechnology)
    do further maths instead of history, CS as an a level generally isn't respected that much
    Does doing fm make me less desirable as a candidate for medicine, right now i want to do medicine but incase i couldn't do it because e.g. i get a low BMAT or i change my mind i want to do computer science.

ReputationRep:
    as far as i know no, fm is listed as a facilitating subject (and a hard one at that) so i don't see any reason for them not to. geneally they like applicants that have stem subjects other than chem and bio
    also my brother got into medicine with chem,bio, maths and further maths a level, so it's definitely possible

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.