Turn on thread page Beta

I was born with gastrochisis in 1991. I was in hospital for the first month of my life. I had no issues whilst growing up. Other than, infrequent bowel movement. My whole life I've had chronic constipation. I am overweight and I'm now 6 weeks pregnant, and I have some worries that doctors haven't been able to answer about pregnancy.

The main worry is that my stitches and scar tissue seem to be fused with my stomach muscles, despite being overweight my stomach is fairly flat. And my mock tummy button, I.e stitches go in by around 2cm from the rest of my stomach.

What will happen regarding this when my stomach begins to stretch - will it cause a problem?

Secondly, because I haven't had any other issues in my life regarding this that I know of, does this man that the placement of my organs is likely to be ok? And will not cause problems during pregnancy/child birth?

Thanks. Any insight would be great as I'm pretty worried.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I was born with gastrochisis in 1991. I was in hospital for the first month of my life. I had no issues whilst growing up. Other than, infrequent bowel movement. My whole life I've had chronic constipation. I am overweight and I'm now 6 weeks pregnant, and I have some worries that doctors haven't been able to answer about pregnancy.

The main worry is that my stitches and scar tissue seem to be fused with my stomach muscles, despite being overweight my stomach is fairly flat. And my mock tummy button, I.e stitches go in by around 2cm from the rest of my stomach.

What will happen regarding this when my stomach begins to stretch - will it cause a problem?

Secondly, because I haven't had any other issues in my life regarding this that I know of, does this man that the placement of my organs is likely to be ok? And will not cause problems during pregnancy/child birth?

It may be best for you to discuss this with a doctor again and, if they can't help you, ask if they can refer you to somebody who will know about it. If you know who your surgeon was or what hospital it was at you might be able to call them to ask about stitches.

I can imagine that pregnancy could affect bowel related issues so it would probably be wise to look out for anything odd and talk to your doctor about anything you do notice. I wouldn't worry too much at the moment unless you have noticed anything though. Do what you can to find out your situation and mention your condition to anybody you see (doctors, midwives etc) so they are in the loop. If doctors aren't concerned and you aren't noticing anything odd though I would think things are fine.

It may also be worth looking on or posting to sites like mumsnet, there will be more parents and hopefully more chance of finding somebody who can relate and give you some advice and support. That or see if you can find a support group for your condition.

Remember that if you are ever worried about something you can always call 111 or visit an out of hours doctor/ walk-in clinic. I tend to find it helps to know my options just in case something does happen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

You will probably need to see a consultant at some point, and they will be able to investigate further and decide if anything extra needs to be done for you. Ask your midwife about this at your booking appointment. It takes a good while to get a proper bump in first pregnancies so I doubt you'll have too many issues with your scars early on. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 10, 2017
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.