Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

does intelligence make a girl more/less attractive? Watch

• Very Important Poster

(Original post by Tea2345)
    i still think you're being sarcastic....

but still opposite of blunt= not blunt aka being nice ?
    Not being blunt does not always equate with being nice.

ReputationRep:
    MORE.

Incredibly so.

ReputationRep:
    More but it would be shallow minded to assume smart girls are all normal, trust me they ain't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pikachū)
    More, but to a point.
    What do you mean by 'to a point'?

(Original post by Miser101)
    More but it would be shallow minded to assume smart girls are all normal, trust me they ain't
    What do you mean by not normal? Surely even not-smart girls can be 'not normal'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LauraMayden1)
    What do you mean by 'to a point'?

What do you mean by not normal? Surely even not-smart girls can be 'not normal'?
    I'll answer you're second questionm, yes even not-smart girls can be 'not normal'

ReputationRep:
    I'll answer you're second questionm, yes even not-smart girls can be 'not normal'
    So why would one assume all smart girls are normal? Perhaps I've misunderstood your statement.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what they are intelligent about, but in most case it makes them less attractive.

ReputationRep:
    So why would one assume all smart girls are normal? Perhaps I've misunderstood your statement.
    I will revise my previous vague statement:

Smart girls can be normal and not normal
    Non-smart girls can be normal and normal

Normality and how smart one is subjective and differs from person to person

ReputationRep:
    I'm average looking (one hopes) but seem to get some attention from smart and hot types. Hot and dumb usually avoid me which sucks.

ReputationRep:
    I will revise my previous vague statement:

Smart girls can be normal and not normal
    Non-smart girls can be normal and normal

Normality and how smart one is subjective and differs from person to person
    Alright, I'm just confused now so nevermind. I should be asleep.

To OP, I read a study where men said they preferred smart/intelligent women, but when it came down to it they actually didn't prefer it and were slightly intimidated, or at the very least they didn't prefer that the women were 'smarter' than them, especially if the woman was also attractive.
    The study didn't seem very comprehensive though.

Through personal experience, I've not seen any guys run away from me because I'm smart. However, I naturally wouldn't get along with guys who don't want any sort of intellectual discussion, just as they wouldn't get along with me.

All subjective really, and there's a scale. For example, I can be intellectually demanding, which drains people out, so I reign that in. I don't dumb myself down, because I'm not trying to attract guys that want someone ditzy; why would I want to do that?

You just need someone who's on the same intellectual level as yourself, along with other things of course; that's the main thing.

Plus, it also depends on one's definition of smart. I personally don't look solely at academics type of smart; it's a good indicator, but certainly not always the best.

ReputationRep:
    Without intelligence and humour a beautiful body it's just an empty vessel, useless and sad...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supernova91)
    More , surely ?
    (Original post by Ella-keturah)
    More. Why on earth would it make someone less attractive

I remember coming across many articles several years ago and agreeing with them about intelligent women being less desirable. Here's one of them

http://elitedaily.com/women/intellig...single/678309/

"A study conducted with 121 British participants reported findings that females with high intelligence in male/female relationships were seen as problematic.

Their intelligence were predicted to cause problems in the relationships. Whereas, high intelligence in the male partner was not seen as problematic, but desirable."

I've noticed myself that I don't really find hot girls who are intelligent very attractive. By intelligent I mean if you were to stereotype her most people would say, yeah she looks quite clever, or speaks quite clever [like them big bang theory women]

.I think also intelligent women often lack sex appeal......,

I saw a study a few years back that about how the more IQ a woman has above average the less desirable she becomes but I can't find that, I did find these though:

http://www.medicaldaily.com/intellig...em-says-358516

"For men, apparently, having an intelligent girlfriend is like having a pet wolf — cool in theory, but not something you’d want in real life. At least that’s the conclusion of a recent study (minus the wolf), which found that while men might say they look for intelligence in potential partners, most of them are actually too intimidated by the idea of being with a woman who is smarter than them to ever ask one out on a date."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b02f6a900ed2aa

sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but felt I had to set the record straight ...as it appears [by reading this thread] that high intelligence women are extremely desirable when in reality that is not the case [for most men]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANM775)
    I remember coming across many articles several years ago and agreeing with them about intelligent women being less desirable. Here's one of them

http://elitedaily.com/women/intellig...single/678309/

"A study conducted with 121 British participants reported findings that females with high intelligence in male/female relationships were seen as problematic.

Their intelligence were predicted to cause problems in the relationships. Whereas, high intelligence in the male partner was not seen as problematic, but desirable."

I've noticed myself that I don't really find hot girls who are intelligent very attractive. By intelligent I mean if you were to stereotype her most people would say, yeah she looks quite clever, or speaks quite clever [like them big bang theory women]

.I think also intelligent women often lack sex appeal......,

I saw a study a few years back that about how the more IQ a woman has above average the less desirable she becomes but I can't find that, I did find these though:

http://www.medicaldaily.com/intellig...em-says-358516

"For men, apparently, having an intelligent girlfriend is like having a pet wolf — cool in theory, but not something you’d want in real life. At least that’s the conclusion of a recent study (minus the wolf), which found that while men might say they look for intelligence in potential partners, most of them are actually too intimidated by the idea of being with a woman who is smarter than them to ever ask one out on a date."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b02f6a900ed2aa

they perceived their female date to be smarter than they."[/b]

sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but felt I had to set the record straight ...as it appears [by reading this thread] that high intelligence women are extremely desirable when in reality that is not the case [for most men]
    Ah yes, thank you. That's the study I was referring to in my earlier post.

It won't be everyone's cup of tea, that's for sure. However, from what I recall, the study was done with just a small sample of university students, and it was a speed dating environment; not very accurate in my opinion.Though I do understand the whole aspect of not wanting to date a woman smarter than you.

Personally, if I were to date a guy I'd want him to either be intellectually the same, or better, than me. But again, it's difficult to gauge intelligence, because it's slightly different for each person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't agree, I'm an intelligent girl myself and always get As or A*s 😒
    But all what I see around me is fake friends or people and all what they wants is help in their work.
    There is a slight difference between intelligence, knowledge and good grades.......

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes, thank you. That's the study I was referring to in my earlier post.

It won't be everyone's cup of tea, that's for sure. However, from what I recall, the study was done with just a small sample of university students, and it was a speed dating environment; not very accurate in my opinion.Though I do understand the whole aspect of not wanting to date a woman smarter than you.

Personally, if I were to date a guy I'd want him to either be intellectually the same, or better, than me. But again, it's difficult to gauge intelligence, because it's slightly different for each person.

I've noticed that I tend to find intelligent women who are average looking or below average looking more desirable than the hot intelligent women.

I think part of me must feel threatened by the beauty and brains combo

I don't want a girl to outclass me like that in both departments. It's either one or the other ....not both! ....lol
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    More.

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence is very attractive.

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed that I tend to find intelligent women who are average looking or below average looking more desirable than the hot intelligent women.

I think part of me must feel threatened by the beauty and brains combo

I don't want a girl to outclass me like that in both departments. It's either one or the other ....not both! ....lol
    Ahahaha, yeah that's what I read too.

Is it because you'd feel a little insecure, or inferior? Which one?

ReputationRep:
    Ahahaha, yeah that's what I read too.

Is it because you'd feel a little insecure, or inferior? Which one?

to be honest, a mix of both....

ReputationRep:
    to be honest, a mix of both....
    Ah, I presumed so.

It kinda sucks for the girls out there that are pretty and intelligent lol. I'm pretty sure they don't feel a sense of superiority.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.