Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Panic Attacks at School, Advice? Watch

For the past month, I have been having terrible panic attacks at school, where I would have to leave the classroom at least once a day. It's worse when I have exams. This is all new to me, and I really hope I can get over it (if that is even possible?) I just don't know how to deal with this I really don't want to have to live with this for the rest of my life!

Does anyone have any advice for me?

I really feel for you- panic attacks are really awful. Can you think of anything that may have triggered them? I think the best way to manage them is to find the coping strategies that work for you and to get the support that you need. Have you talked to your friends, parents, teachers about it? Don't worry- it will get better

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I really feel for you- panic attacks are really awful. Can you think of anything that may have triggered them? I think the best way to manage them is to find the coping strategies that work for you and to get the support that you need. Have you talked to your friends, parents, teachers about it? Don't worry- it will get better
    I've been through a tough friendship break up lately, with a friend I was very close to for years, and it was mostly my fault. I've also moved to a new school and have started my A Levels. I've also been having breathing problems and chest pains and constant nausea, so I feel like something is really wrong with me.

Looking at it all, I think this is a very eventful part of my life which seems to be overwhelming my friends, family and teachers are very supportive. I just don't know what I can do for myself. My main goal for this year is to overcome my panic attacks and hopefully they'd be gone by this time next year. I just don't know how to start

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I've been through a tough friendship break up lately, with a friend I was very close to for years, and it was mostly my fault. I've also moved to a new school and have started my A Levels. I've also been having breathing problems and chest pains and constant nausea, so I feel like something is really wrong with me.

Looking at it all, I think this is a very eventful part of my life which seems to be overwhelming my friends, family and teachers are very supportive. I just don't know what I can do for myself. My main goal for this year is to overcome my panic attacks and hopefully they'd be gone by this time next year. I just don't know how to start

I totally understand how you feel, as I have been having panic attacks for over a year now- some weeks or days worse than others. I find that while it doesn't make me happier, if I listen to music it can help me fix on my emotions more and stop my panicking. Furthermore, if I can do something I really love so passionately, such as reading, I feel a flow of more positive vibes. I think you should tell your friends if it will help you as they may be able to support you. You could also see your GP if you really felt like it was interfering with your life, as you mention chest pains and nausea. keep going strong £>

ReputationRep:
    Beta blockers ? I have panic attacks too and that's one of my recommended treatments
    Do your school have a counselling service? If so, that could help you. If not I would highly recommend telling your school about it as they will probably move you to a different room for your exams etc
    Some of the symptoms you mentioned are also symptoms of anxiety- something to bear in mind. Anxiety can often manifest itself in these forms and make you think it is something much worse
    Hope it works out for you

ReputationRep:
    This happened to me, one day in chemistry I had the worst one I've ever had and the next day I had another in form time.
    I honestly think you should speak to the school counselor and explain and ask if you can have a note to get out at any given time

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.