Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bottom of a ladder I don't really want to be at the top of Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    I must say, all of this could have been me writing about my first FY1 job in general medicine. Absolutely gruelling experience: leaving at 7 or 8 most nights, constant chaos, overworked, disinterested or actively hostile seniors, bureaucracy, mismanagement, no time for learning. Literally being the ward dogsbody. Why should you feel grateful for dealing with this shite? Anyone who says you should can piss off. The job needs to be done, and it's our resonsibility to do it well, but that doesn't mean we have to be eternally grateful for the rubbish that comes with it.

The most important thing to bear in mind is: it's not you who is the problem. Acute medical care in this country is just a complete mess at the moment (just watch the news).
    Also, the good news is that when you hopefully do move onto a less stressful job, you will be quite well prepared because nothing will ever be as horrendous as what you're going through now
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Everything Democracy said. My gen med FY1 job was the most miserable 3 months of my career, and I think it's got worse since I did it (2009/10). You are not alone, and it is not your fault that things are crappy. Do the best you can, ***** about it with the other FY1s, and if things are really dangerous, escalate it via Datix/foundation school/GMC survey. It does get better once you find a specialty you fit in.
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Disagree. From what I gather, most people find FY1 their worst year, sometimes by far. You may gain more responsibility as you get more senior, but you are more equipped to deal with it. May not seem like it now but you are. Mainly in terms of just learning to be decisive rather than actual knowledge but that still counts.

You don't have to sacrifice your 20s - FY3 year anyone? There aren't that many professional careers where its so easy to just take a year out safe in the knowledge that they will just take you back next August. And if you live frugally like you seem to imply then you can have enough money to not need to work at all - a years break to do what you want, within reason.
    (Original post by Parent_help)
    After Uni, Theres always a period of adjusting to "wage slave" life.

Try to wake up tomorrow fresh. Take stock of what you need to do for the next 2 years, and try to complete it. Remember - You come first - not the patients.
    (Original post by *pitseleh*)
    In the nicest possible way, tell your family to piss off. Like you said, you can't make yourself feel a certain way just because they want you to. They're not the ones going out and doing your job on a daily basis.

Anyway - I know lots of more senior doctors have said they felt similarly as FY1s; I'm FY1 at the moment, and I feel exactly the same. My first job was okay after the initial in-at-the-deep-end horror, which was always going to happen, but this one is atrocious (almost all of my FY2/CT1 colleagues describe it as the worst rotation they've ever had). Like you, I find I'm late home by a couple of hours most days; like you, I find I'm too exhausted to do many of the things I enjoy when I do get home. I constantly feel out of my depth and like there are too many things to do to get any of them done properly, and senior support is almost non-existent. It is absolutely ****.

PM me if you like; I'm not on here every day, but happy to have a communal rant if you think it'd help.
    All the above (full posts) were accurate, helpful, and required reading for incoming FY1s who are feeling in the deep end.

Reading back, I did sound very bitter. But there was something that caused it, it was the bottom of a trough. In a system where we, with little experience ourselves, change jobs every few months encountering understaffed, sometimes unsupportive teams, there will be mud to crawl through at times, and no one else can go through it for us, it has to be me and you. But not all jobs are that bad, even if it's still hard work. And eventually we can mould the way we want to work, and with that flexibility and learning to manage our time better, we can cope a lot better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twostepsforward)
    All the above (full posts) were accurate, helpful, and required reading for incoming FY1s who are feeling in the deep end.

Reading back, I did sound very bitter. But there was something that caused it, it was the bottom of a trough. In a system where we, with little experience ourselves, change jobs every few months encountering understaffed, sometimes unsupportive teams, there will be mud to crawl through at times, and no one else can go through it for us, it has to be me and you. But not all jobs are that bad, even if it's still hard work. And eventually we can mould the way we want to work, and with that flexibility and learning to manage our time better, we can cope a lot better.
    I am so happy to hear you're finding it better. Me too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.