Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

i don't have a phone and i'm 17 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdukazam)
    buy one secretely? I assume you have no independent income, so you'll have to kind of beg a family member to discretely give you a small amount of money, if your parents require a thorough audit of your expenses, please report them to the authorities, they're clearly insane.
    Would you do the same if you were in her situation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carthaginian)
    Get yourself a job or money from someone.
    Don't get a phone with less that 2gb RAM, unless an iphone.
    If it's an iphone, doesn't matter about specs.
    But always get snapdragon or qualcom chips,
    I don't have a phone and i'm 16. All my friends have phones and kids younger than me, kinda embarrasing. But my parents don't understand about specs and stuff, and I don't want a crap phone, kek.
    i know people i know that are in year 7 have a phone and its really embarrassing

(Original post by Arzam45)
    Would you do the same if you were in her situation?
    i was joking about the report thing :rofl:

still her parents are clueless, she needs to grow up at some point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sameehaiqbal)
    Lol. You need to take a stand for yourself. Parents aren't always right. A job wouldn't impact your a levels because you can find weekend jobs. I'm doing a levels and I work every Sunday at ASDA and it hasn't impacted my a levels. You need to find a way to balance things out. This sounds like something you would need to explain to your parents. A job is a good thing to put in your personal statement as well to illustrate the skills you have gained and how you can apply them to your chosen course.

After you get a job just buy a phone. You can do what you want with your money. Once you turn 18 you can even get a cheap contract.
    oh i know they're not but they think they are and there's no way around it. i have stood up for myself several times but it doesn't end werll

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i was joking about the report thing :rofl:

still her parents are clueless, she needs to grow up at some point
    No idea why i'm anon. i'm using a dodgy computer that doesn't even capitalise properly so excuse me.

But seriously, have a word with your parents, they're being childish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idontknow123123)
    i didn't mean my friends-they are really nice. just in class when you are allowed to use ur phone for work and stuff
    Yeah, that bit sucks :/
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I only got a phone at 17 too, no big deal.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Go study. Get A*'s in your A levels. Go to Cambridge to pursue your subject that you love. Graduate. Get a good paying job. Buy a phone.

I wish I could throw my iPod out of my window and just study.

Do yourself some favours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fahmina)
    Yeah, that bit sucks :/
    or when u haven't got all the work done in class and u have to take a photo of the powerpoint so im sat there and pretend i already took it
    it's not like i can whip out my nokia and take the picture which is like miles away and all i will see is the back of someones head-barely that

ReputationRep:
    oh i know they're not but they think they are and there's no way around it. i have stood up for myself several times but it doesn't end werll
    Well you need to keep trying and just be independant and do things like that yourself. You shouldn't need to ask permission from your parents for a job. You need to go out and do this yourself and that's the only way your life will start improving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sameehaiqbal)
    Well you need to keep trying and just be independant and do things like that yourself. You shouldn't need to ask permission from your parents for a job. You need to go out and do this yourself and that's the only way your life will start improving.
    i needed permission to turn the computer on until i last september. and i still can't use it when they are not home

ReputationRep:
    yep
    Your best option is to say that you need a phone. Try to come up with the practicalities with a phone. Try and think about how it can be useful for school and make it clear you're not interested in social media or stuff (obviously get social media but dont tell them). Tell them that you're not happy with being trapped and that they need to trust you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatswrong.)
    Your best option is to say that you need a phone. Try to come up with the practicalities with a phone. Try and think about how it can be useful for school and make it clear you're not interested in social media or stuff (obviously get social media but dont tell them). Tell them that you're not happy with being trapped and that they need to trust you.
    but they'll want to see the phone all the time. they'll look through stuff

ReputationRep:
    well thanks guys see you when i come online next. i have to go now

ReputationRep:
    but they'll want to see the phone all the time. they'll look through stuff
    Well then dont have anything to hide. After a while they wont bother checking up on it. And if you get an android there are ways you can hide stuff like social media apps and pictures.

ReputationRep:
    or when u haven't got all the work done in class and u have to take a photo of the powerpoint so im sat there and pretend i already took it
    it's not like i can whip out my nokia and take the picture which is like miles away and all i will see is the back of someones head-barely that
    Yeah, that bit too...

I mean I can take pictures, I'm just out of memory

Ask your friends to email it to you - it's what I do, or WhatsApp - but I understand that you don't have that option.

ReputationRep:
    You need to have a serious conversation with your parents and tell them that you really need to buy a better phone. Explain the situation to them - you need a phone thats practical and actually helps you study. Make points about how it'd be more useful than the phone you have now: eg. you'd be able to take pictures of presentations like everybody else, it'd be easier to make important notes, you'd be able to download plenty of revision apps, it'd make communication with your peers easier (extremely useful when working on group projects or when you need help) and more.

Before the conversation, you should have a look online to see what's available. Considering you want an iPhone but are afraid of how much they cost, Gumtree is a great option as you can get one second hand. Older versions are also much cheaper so you could invest in an iPhone 4s or a 5 (which would be the better option). I reckon you could find one for around £50-100. A perk of this is that as well as seeing clear pictures online you'll also be able to see the phone in person to make sure it works and pay cash if you're happy with the product. As you don't have your own income, offering your parents more help around the house etc might be a little payback. It's all about negotiation! Just really try and think about how it can be useful for school and tell them about how you feel. Also - there'd be nothing to hide from them so there'd no guilt on your side.

ReputationRep:
    i really want one
    i would love an iphone but i think they are too expensive
    my parents won't let me
    i have a phone but i rather wish i didn't - it's a nokia brick so u cant do naything with it
    i have no social media accounts as im not allowed
    i think i'll get a phone when i go to uni but it's be crap not good at taking photoes
    everyone at school is always using their phone so i feel left out
    help??advice??
    will your parents not let you have a phone cos of your studies or what exactly?

i really want one
      i would love an iphone but i think they are too expensive
      my parents won't let me
      i have a phone but i rather wish i didn't - it's a nokia brick so u cant do naything with it
      i have no social media accounts as im not allowed
      i think i'll get a phone when i go to uni but it's be crap not good at taking photoes
      everyone at school is always using their phone so i feel left out
      help??advice??
      You want an iPhone :lol:

They're expensive and stupid and a waste of time. Hell just get a cheap Android phone when nobody's looking.

(Original post by That'sGreat)
      How'd you post this then?
      TSR is a website, dummkopf.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Notch)
      I'm 18 and still don't have a phone (I used to have a Nokia brick too, but that broke), and I still play Pokemon emerald on my Game Boy advance. I find lots of the features on smartphones unnecessary, and I'd rather use my PC/laptop for communicating. Nokia bricks ftw, they have everything you need m8.
      SAME, I HAVE A FLIP PHONE I GOT IT THIS YR COS I GOT DISTRACTED BY MY PHONE FROM AS-levels

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.