Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

i don't have a phone and i'm 17 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fahmina)
    Yeah, that bit too...

I mean I can take pictures, I'm just out of memory

Ask your friends to email it to you - it's what I do, or WhatsApp - but I understand that you don't have that option.
    i've recently moved school for 6th form so my friends are limited and none are in my lessons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martaax)
    You need to have a serious conversation with your parents and tell them that you really need to buy a better phone. Explain the situation to them - you need a phone thats practical and actually helps you study. Make points about how it'd be more useful than the phone you have now: eg. you'd be able to take pictures of presentations like everybody else, it'd be easier to make important notes, you'd be able to download plenty of revision apps, it'd make communication with your peers easier (extremely useful when working on group projects or when you need help) and more.

Before the conversation, you should have a look online to see what's available. Considering you want an iPhone but are afraid of how much they cost, Gumtree is a great option as you can get one second hand. Older versions are also much cheaper so you could invest in an iPhone 4s or a 5 (which would be the better option). I reckon you could find one for around £50-100. A perk of this is that as well as seeing clear pictures online you'll also be able to see the phone in person to make sure it works and pay cash if you're happy with the product. As you don't have your own income, offering your parents more help around the house etc might be a little payback. It's all about negotiation! Just really try and think about how it can be useful for school and tell them about how you feel. Also - there'd be nothing to hide from them so there'd no guilt on your side.
    wow thanks i've already done that but the thing is they don't want me to talk to friends online . i don't really know why tho. they're probs just worried or something idk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    You want an iPhone :lol:

They're expensive and stupid and a waste of time. Hell just get a cheap Android phone when nobody's looking.

TSR is a website, dummkopf.
    it's really not that funny and i dont think it is.

(Original post by idontknow123123)
      it's really not that funny and i dont think it is.
      I don't think it's funny either, I was laughing in an 'aw bless' kind of way.

ReputationRep:
      i'm not a lame person or anything. i know it comes across like that but i'm not

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Tootles)
      I don't think it's funny either, I was laughing in an 'aw bless' kind of way.
      oh ok

I never had a smartphone until I was 16.

Before that, I had a Nokia Brick.

All I cam say is that I do feel you and it will get better because it did for me.

Btw, having an iPhone is not all that glamorous as people make it out to be, trust me.

ReputationRep:
        wow thanks i've already done that but the thing is they don't want me to talk to friends online . i don't really know why tho. they're probs just worried or something idk
        If talking to friends online is a problem then just don't mention it or try to negotiate- eg them checking on you. Over time it's very likely they'll slowly begin to get over it. I believe that on iPhones there's a feature which allows you to create restrictions etc, so if you mention that they might be happy with creating those so they limit what you do. It might not make you too happy, but it's better than nothing! I hope your situation gets sorted

ReputationRep:
        i've recently moved school for 6th form so my friends are limited and none are in my lessons
        Does your school not provide a school email address for all students?

Okay, not necessarily 'friends', but someone you work with/next to that can email you the images?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by martaax)
        If talking to friends online is a problem then just don't mention it or try to negotiate- eg them checking on you. Over time it's very likely they'll slowly begin to get over it. I believe that on iPhones there's a feature which allows you to create restrictions etc, so if you mention that they might be happy with creating those so they limit what you do. It might not make you too happy, but it's better than nothing! I hope your situation gets sorted
        thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by fahmina)
        Does your school not provide a school email address for all students?

Okay, not necessarily 'friends', but someone you work with/next to that can email you the images?
        yeah that's what ive been doing but lots dont use their school emails

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Useful resources
      Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.