Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a SIM-only contract with free 30gb of personal hotspot/tethering per month and have had it for about 6 months.

I have used it quite a lot tethering via usb to my laptop and watching tv/movies/downloading movies and the most I have used is about 25gb/month.

A few weeks ago I bought a different phone and put the SIM in it and all is working fine. However, I have noticed that when I check my account balance (both on phone and on the company website) my monthly allowance has not gone down at all despite using at least 5gb.

I have thought it might be a Xmas bonus type thing but have not read anything about that. What should I do? If this is some sort of 'loophole' then it seems I could be getting unlimited service. I love a freebie but don't like the idea of being dishonest.....

.....what do you think has happened, what would you do and what do you suggest I do?

Thanks in advance..
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Drez999)
    I have a SIM-only contract with free 30gb of personal hotspot/tethering per month and have had it for about 6 months.

I have used it quite a lot tethering via usb to my laptop and watching tv/movies/downloading movies and the most I have used is about 25gb/month.

A few weeks ago I bought a different phone and put the SIM in it and all is working fine. However, I have noticed that when I check my account balance (both on phone and on the company website) my monthly allowance has not gone down at all despite using at least 5gb.

I have thought it might be a Xmas bonus type thing but have not read anything about that. What should I do? If this is some sort of 'loophole' then it seems I could be getting unlimited service. I love a freebie but don't like the idea of being dishonest.....

.....what do you think has happened, what would you do and what do you suggest I do?

Thanks in advance..
    Is the hotspot/tethering allowance separate from your data allowance for on the phone? For example, the 30GB may be solely the amount you can use when tethered, but you may have a set amount of GB you can use directly through the phone...
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    It might be a firmware thing, some older phones don't make the distinction between tethered data and regular data. I would wait until you get your monthly bill before you jump to any conclusions though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Is the hotspot/tethering allowance separate from your data allowance for on the phone? For example, the 30GB may be solely the amount you can use when tethered, but you may have a set amount of GB you can use directly through the phone...
    Hi, thanks for reply.

I have all you can eat data and a separate 30gb hotspot/tethering allowance - are you thinking that with the new phone somehow my laptop is using the phone all you can eat data even though it recognises that I am tethered via usb?

(Original post by Dez)
    It might be a firmware thing, some older phones don't make the distinction between tethered data and regular data. I would wait until you get your monthly bill before you jump to any conclusions though.
    I can track my bill online and on phone and it is defo not using hotspot/tethering allowance.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Drez999)
    Hi, thanks for reply.

I have all you can eat data and a separate 30gb hotspot/tethering allowance - are you thinking that with the new phone somehow my laptop is using the phone all you can eat data even though it recognises that I am tethered via usb?

I can track my bill online and on phone and it is defo not using hotspot/tethering allowance.
    Yeh possibly - as Dez has said, it may not be making the distinction.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 10, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.