Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Access to HE re-submission policy Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Today on my access course we had a maths test under exam conditions.

Now originally on the module, we were advised it was going to be a written assignment, then on the 4th week of the 5-week module we were told after faculty discussion it would need to be an exam the following week. We collectively as a class raised our concern that this would not allow us to be prepared in time given all of our previous preparations had been ready for an assignment so it was agreed we would sit the test today instead to give us chance to revise.

The test included two questions which were nothing like the material we had been taught and near enough no one was clear on how to do them. I know myself personally came to an answer that didn't seem right because it was so unfamiliar, and spent an hour of exam making multiple attempts to answer it becoming increasing stressed until eventually the time ran out and I hadn't fully answered the question.

It turns out my answer was correct but because I'd never seen an answer in the format I was getting I had convinced myself I was making an error in a very long winded equation.

We've been advised that being under exam conditions any re-submissions will be capped at a passing grade which I've challenged and still waiting to discuss with the faculty this week.

So does anyone have any experience with grades for an exam on an open awards access course and if my college is indeed correct that a pass is the best we can hope for? If so has anyone any experience in raising a grievance at the inadequate course material provided in tutorials in preparation for the exam?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.