Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you think of workplace relationships? Watch

ReputationRep:
    With workplace relationships being quite common, I'm curious to know what people think of workplace relationships.

In my opinion, I think junior dating junior is okay, but I think when a senior is dating a senior or a junior and a senior are dating then things can get a bit sticky and don't particularly agree with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bad idea, but everyone's up to it. Unless there is a reporting relationship it's generally accepted.

ReputationRep:
    It happens a lot. If its two people that work in the same team it is awkward for everyone involved but when its people at the same workplace but not directly working together its fine.

My pet hate is when interns/placement students start going out with someone full-time. There's an element of taking advantage as an impressionable young intern is often impressed by the confidence and status of someone employed in an area they want to get in to and you can see some hunters around looking for it. But it leads to the interns getting distracted as when you're young you are more likely to be in the mode of thinking about relationship type stuff 24/7 and always on their phone messaging and so on.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be alive without them. My dad was my mums boss, plus a few months before they started dating he fired her previous boyfriend. They're still together now.

I think they're alright as long as the people involved check its allowed and don't risk their careers over it. If you're working 40 hours a week work is going to be a likely place to meet someone.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    If you know your boundaries then sure, it can work. However, the people I know who have gotten into this don't keep things professional in the workplace and that's when things can go wrong. For that very reason, it is frowned upon in the workplace. Know where you both stand and perhaps it can but i personally wouldn't do it.

ReputationRep:
    Don't screw the crew

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'd do it.

ReputationRep:
    it can lead to much awkwardness if one of the participants is sacked by the other...
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Unprofessional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    it can lead to much awkwardness if one of the participants is sacked by the other...
    RIP The Usherette™

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    RIP The Usherette™
    :five:

The Usherette™ is a valued and respected employee. Any scurrilous suggestions about her behaviour in the Cave™ will be met with the full force of the :spank:

ReputationRep:
    I've been in a relationship with my colleague for the last 5 months and so far so good. We don't do anything relationshipy at work, we interact with each other the same as we did beforehand. Of course we will have a little flirt from time to time but we are very careful about when and where. We are both on the same level (management), so it's all good. I would recommend to everyone lol.

I worked at an investment bank and there was a high profile couple who were both MDs shagging it out for more than 2 years until one decided to leave and start his own gig.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    It happens a lot. If its two people that work in the same team it is awkward for everyone involved but when its people at the same workplace but not directly working together its fine.

My pet hate is when interns/placement students start going out with someone full-time. There's an element of taking advantage as an impressionable young intern is often impressed by the confidence and status of someone employed in an area they want to get in to and you can see some hunters around looking for it. But it leads to the interns getting distracted as when you're young you are more likely to be in the mode of thinking about relationship type stuff 24/7 and always on their phone messaging and so on.
    yeah well the the young have not had their human souls totally growned into the cogs of capitalism yet so still value things like love over career.

Personally I would avoid dating someone in charge of me like the plague. I just couldn't do it. That kind of hierarchy is so at odds with relationships to me. But then these kind of man made hierarchies in society seem so totally alienating to me.

ReputationRep:
    Such relationships are hit and miss, and there's a lot of variables to consider especially considering it's a professional setting.

I'm not for or against, I just think caution is advisable, especially if things go wrong and you still end up having to work with one another.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.