Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For medicine I'm prepared for all the subjects! I've picked Chem, Bio and maths in s3 and I'm positive for getting A's for higher ! In sha Allah .. im allowed 5 max Highers but I'm confused what to do ?! I want to keep my options open to just in case .. is there any subject medical schools/unis look for ? I'm thinking of doing Maths, Chem, Bio, Geoghraphy and either English or Business Management as my Highers ? Is it a good choice ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ali$hah)
    For medicine I'm prepared for all the subjects! I've picked Chem, Bio and maths in s3 and I'm positive for getting A's for higher ! In sha Allah .. im allowed 5 max Highers but I'm confused what to do ?! I want to keep my options open to just in case .. is there any subject medical schools/unis look for ? I'm thinking of doing Maths, Chem, Bio, Geoghraphy and either English or Business Management as my Highers ? Is it a good choice ?
    That choice would be fine, as long as you are good at those subjects and have a good chance of getting an A in them! You need biology, maths (or physics) and chemistry, so definitely keep those, but out of the other 3, you can choose the ones you will enjoy most/be best at. Only other thing to remember is that you will need to take some of these subjects to advanced higher and that you need at least a B in Nat 5 English (for Glasgow anyway- check other individual uni requirements). Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Labrador99)
    That choice would be fine, as long as you are good at those subjects and have a good chance of getting an A in them! You need biology, maths (or physics) and chemistry, so definitely keep those, but out of the other 3, you can choose the ones you will enjoy most/be best at. Only other thing to remember is that you will need to take some of these subjects to advanced higher and that you need at least a B in Nat 5 English (for Glasgow anyway- check other individual uni requirements). Hope this helps
    I might actually do English as a higher since some ppl say that itll give preference over other candidates for medicine .. im so confused .. lolz and for Adv Higher I might do chemistry and biology or maths ..

ReputationRep:
    I might actually do English as a higher since some ppl say that itll give preference over other candidates for medicine .. im so confused .. lolz and for Adv Higher I might do chemistry and biology or maths ..
    Doing higher English will not mean that you are preferred by universities, unless they say you need it in their entry requirements, which I'm 99% sure they don't for medicine. My advice would be that if you are good at and/or enjoy English, pick it for higher, otherwise don't bother. It would be far more valuable to get a better grade in another subject that you enjoy more (e.g. you mentioned business management), rather than having a stress of a subject you don't like and are worried about doing well in. English is compulsory in S5 in my school, so I had to do it for higher last year, but I wouldn't have if I wasn't made to (I hated it!)! There are a couple of people on the Scottish qualifications forum who didn't do English- I can't remember their usernames, but if you made a thread specifically asking whether or not you should pick English, I'm sure they would share their experiences...However, from seeing such discussions previously, I think they will say pretty much the same as I have.

Those subjects for advanced higher would be fine, providing you check the entry requirements on uni websites for the places you want to apply to, as the subject and/or grades required may have changed by then!

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Labrador99)
    Doing higher English will not mean that you are preferred by universities, unless they say you need it in their entry requirements, which I'm 99% sure they don't for medicine. My advice would be that if you are good at and/or enjoy English, pick it for higher, otherwise don't bother. It would be far more valuable to get a better grade in another subject that you enjoy more (e.g. you mentioned business management), rather than having a stress of a subject you don't like and are worried about doing well in. English is compulsory in S5 in my school, so I had to do it for higher last year, but I wouldn't have if I wasn't made to (I hated it!)! There are a couple of people on the Scottish qualifications forum who didn't do English- I can't remember their usernames, but if you made a thread specifically asking whether or not you should pick English, I'm sure they would share their experiences...However, from seeing such discussions previously, I think they will say pretty much the same as I have.

Those subjects for advanced higher would be fine, providing you check the entry requirements on uni websites for the places you want to apply to, as the subject and/or grades required may have changed by then!

Hope this helps
    Thank you tons ! For making my doubts clear ! Last favour then promise I won't bother you ! Can u send me a link plz of the thread(s) that you mentioned or of the Scottish Qualifications bit then Id Be very obliged ! Thank you ! ))

ReputationRep:
    Thank you tons ! For making my doubts clear ! Last favour then promise I won't bother you ! Can u send me a link plz of the thread(s) that you mentioned or of the Scottish Qualifications bit then Id Be very obliged ! Thank you ! ))
    I'm not sure which thread within Scottish qualifications the other people were on (sorry- really bad memory!). You can just go to the Scottish qualifications page (the one where the other thread you posted on was) and click on 'start new discussion' to make a new thread on the Scottish qualifications page and I'm sure the people I was talking about that didn't do English will respond when they see it! You have plenty of time to decide your highers anyway, so don't feel that you have to decide with 100% certainty at this stage! Hope this makes sense- let me know if it doesn't!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.