Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Calling ALL ALEVEL MATH/FURTHERMATH students for help! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello Alevel Math/Furthermath friends on TSR,
    I work really hard every single day. I really don't have any social life apart some studying. However, my grades for furthermath and all my subjects are not that good. My moral is has gone so down! I just feel like punching the wall and roaring out my tears away. I really don't know what I am doing wrong.

My MAIN revision is basically doing all the exercises questions and examples in the edxcel book in detail.
    I really cant find time doing the past paper, as doing all the exercise takes long.

I humbly, request you to share how you plan/do your revision for math and furthermath!

May anyone please help! I desperately need help!

ReputationRep:
    This book: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Further-Pur.../dp/0199147353

+ Past Papers

and that is all there is to it in all honesty.

Also use:

examsolutions.net
    https://www.khanacademy.org/math

Anything in particular that you are stuck on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaleVip)
    I work really hard every single day. I really don't have any social life apart some studying. However, my grades for furthermath and all my subjects are not that good. My moral is has gone so down! I just feel like punching the wall and roaring out my tears away. I really don't know what I am doing wrong.

My MAIN revision is basically doing all the exercises questions and examples in the edxcel book in detail.
    I really cant find time doing the past paper, as doing all the exercise takes long.

I humbly, request you to share how you plan/do your revision for math and furthermath!

Don't do ALL the questions from the exercise book, just do it until you feel like you u derstand, then move on to harder questions and then exam questions (based on the topic you're revising).

Don't spend time doing the examples, but rather reading and trying to understand it.

Also plan out your revision session (make a flexible weekly report revision timetable), since it sounds like your main difficulty is time management.

ReputationRep:

Are you in y12 or y13?

ReputationRep:
    It sounds to me like you're spending too much time studying. You need time to relax and be social. Get your morale and motivation up by spending time doing things that you find fun before going back to studying.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    My advice would be to allow yourself a break. You shouldn't be working all the time. You'll just get stressed and unproductive.

ReputationRep:

What I like to do before i start a study session is to write down realistic objectives of what I want to achieve by the end of the day, and just tick them off as I go through. It really helps as it allows you to see clear progession.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raghad.)
    Are you in y12 or y13?
    Year 13, sir

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    Don't do ALL the questions from the exercise book, just do it until you feel like you u derstand, then move on to harder questions and then exam questions (based on the topic you're revising).

Don't spend time doing the examples, but rather reading and trying to understand it.

Also plan out your revision session (make a flexible weekly report revision timetable), since it sounds like your main difficulty is time management.

How do u plan ur revision sessions? I always try but then I want to start I feel tired and just keep procrastinating 😭😭

My predicteds are A*A*AB but I don't think I'll achieve them as I'm always wasting time 😭😭😭

ReputationRep:
    How do u plan ur revision sessions? I always try but then I want to start I feel tired and just keep procrastinating 😭😭

My predicteds are A*A*AB but I don't think I'll achieve them as I'm always wasting time 😭😭😭
    Just decide on what topics to cover for each revision session, and as mentioned by Mr. M, take breaks after awhile (sometimes I took the weekends off to relax, and even a week).

ReputationRep:
    Year 13, sir
    I think kkboyk answered your question. You don't need to do all the questions especially when u find them easy, however do all the mixed exercises!!!
    Also the review exercises are real exam questions from past papers, so don't do them if u want because but do past papaers instead.

And u don't need to say sir 😂

ReputationRep:

usually with the books I only do enough of the questions to ensure I actually can do them (ie the understanding is there), as someone said dont do all the questions if you dont want to, it would probably be too boring and youd grow to hate the module. I personally aim to do about 40% of them. If I was to sit a D2 exam right this second id probably get 50% as I dont remember any of the methods, I only know that I can apply them.

So in a few months time a day or two will cram all the methods into my head and hopefully ill get 85%+, I try work through books quite fast and spend more time on past papers.

the best revision is past papers imo, not the textbook questions (although dont get me wrong, textbook questions and the textbooks in general are v v good)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanJ42)
    usually with the books I only do enough of the questions to ensure I actually can do them (ie the understanding is there), as someone said dont do all the questions if you dont want to, it would probably be too boring and youd grow to hate the module. I personally aim to do about 40% of them. If I was to sit a D2 exam right this second id probably get 50% as I dont remember any of the methods, I only know that I can apply them.

So in a few months time a day or two will cram all the methods into my head and hopefully ill get 85%+, I try work through books quite fast and spend more time on past papers.

the best revision is past papers imo, not the textbook questions (although dont get me wrong, textbook questions and the textbooks in general are v v good)
    Everyone is like do past papers..but how can i do the past papers when I haven't even finished the module!

ReputationRep:
    I think kkboyk answered your question. You don't need to do all the questions especially when u find them easy, however do all the mixed exercises!!!
    Also the review exercises are real exam questions from past papers, so don't do them if u want because but do past papaers instead.

And u don't need to say sir 😂
    So say you wanted to practice 'complex number', do u open up each past paper and dig for questions on topic? Wouldn't that be anti-time-efficient?

ReputationRep:
    I tried making time table where I say " 2pm -4pm All exerices 4A question " but I I seldom complete the task that on the time table. So I thought it was useless and haven't used it since.
    How can improve on this?

Time management is one of my problem!
    My family and teachers are always telling me to study hard! But never in my life has given me any advice on this regard!
    I hope you can help!
    Take at least a 10mins+ breaks every hour, and rather than trying to do all of the exercises, if you feel that you fully understand just move on to past paper questions by topic. Then after an hour or so, change topic and repeat.

Study smarter rather than study hard. Studying harder is often inefficient, so change your revision methods, be strict with yourself and do lots of planning on what you will do throughout the week.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure if u get a question wrong you don't learn how to apply the concept to that question and you learn the actual concept and understand it so you can answer any question regarding it! Preventions better than cure lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welshstig)
    What I like to do before i start a study session is to write down realistic objectives of what I want to achieve by the end of the day, and just tick them off as I go through. It really helps as it allows you to see clear progession.
    Welshtig my friend, I really wish to know how do u handle situations if you do not mange to complete the task within the time interval? Do you just move on or...? For me if I dont know a question I am complete engulffed by it and the time doesn't exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cluster1)
    Make sure if u get a question wrong you don't learn how to apply the concept to that question and you learn the actual concept and understand it so you can answer any question regarding it! Preventions better than cure lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I really admire your last sentence!
    Thank You!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    Take at least a 10mins+ breaks every hour, and rather than trying to do all of the exercises, if you feel that you fully understand just move on to past paper questions by topic. Then after an hour or so, change topic and repeat.

Study smarter rather than study hard. Studying harder is often inefficient, so change your revision methods, be strict with yourself and do lots of planning on what you will do throughout the week.
    kkboyk,Thank You a million for your suggestions! I will pray for you kids, :P!
    Anyway, I will put it to use right away.
    However, when doing past paper questions, do I literally print one whole past paper and only do 2 relevant question and dig for another releavent question paper by paper? Is that a typical way of practicing past questions?.

ReputationRep:
    Welshtig my friend, I really wish to know how do u handle situations if you do not mange to complete the task within the time interval? Do you just move on or...? For me if I dont know a question I am complete engulffed by it and the time doesn't exist.
    There is no time interval, it takes as long as it will take (which is why i said realistic).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.