Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I just received my Sociology mock paper back after the Christmas break and I have to make improvements to my answers. The question I am struggling with is 'Evaluate the view that being labelled a criminal makes an individual more likely to commit a crime' and it is worth 20 marks.

I achieved ten marks on this question and discussed self-fulfilling prophecies and related it to crime as well as education. I also discussed moral panics using Hall et al's study on the generation of moral panics with ethnic minorities. But I am finding it difficult to develop my answer.
    I have started by talking about labelling theory with the concept of primary and secondary deviance (Lemert) as well as Becker's idea of the master status and how this creates more deviance, while linking it in to the self-fulfilling prophecy.

The problem is I am finding it difficult to come up with other theories I could discuss/evaluate for this question.
    I was hoping someone would be able to provide me with some advice or direction I would appreciate it a lot.

(I'm studying the new AQA spec if it helps and this is my first post! )

ReputationRep:
    Hi Aaron998,

So a few things you could put in...

1) Howard Becker argues that 96% of the prison population is working class as they are labelled as deviants or criminals.

2) The British Crime Survey have proven that when the police stop and search they look for stereotypical indicators e.g. black, youths. Evidence
    for this is that Blacks are 7x more likely to be stopped an searched by the police despite the fact that they only make up 1.8% of the population.

3) 90% of judges are white and from upper middle class backgrounds. Lead to bias and discrimination from the judges towards the defendant who were from opposing backgrounds.

Sorry, I know its not much but hope you can include some of these.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou! I will try and incorporate these

(Original post by Bri98)
    Hi Aaron998,

So a few things you could put in...

1) Howard Becker argues that 96% of the prison population is working class as they are labelled as deviants or criminals.

2) The British Crime Survey have proven that when the police stop and search they look for stereotypical indicators e.g. black, youths. Evidence
    for this is that Blacks are 7x more likely to be stopped an searched by the police despite the fact that they only make up 1.8% of the population.

3) 90% of judges are white and from upper middle class backgrounds. Lead to bias and discrimination from the judges towards the defendant who were from opposing backgrounds.

Sorry, I know its not much but hope you can include some of these.

ReputationRep:
    20 mark for crime? I only thought they had 10's and 30's?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You are correct the Crime and Deviance section only has a 4, 6, 10 and 30 marker. However our teacher gave us a 20 marker and a 30 marker in our mock as it had no theory and methods on it. Hope that clears up the confusion.

(Original post by Foji)
    20 mark for crime? I only thought they had 10's and 30's?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    anybody know what was on the 2016 crime and deviance paper?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.