Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm the only student in his class! Watch

(Original post by DrAdrenaline)
    I don't think being the only person in class with a teacher from opposite sex is something to really worry about because of points mentioned by Ash; it's unlikely that the teacher will do anything to you or will other people find it awkward/suspicious. However, I think It's perfectly fine and normal that you are worrying. It may be because of past bad experiences or the certain thoughts that you have in the class, but it is how you feel, and you do not own anyone any explanation to why you are feeling this way.

I am not an expert or in a position to give any advices, but what may help is to question your thoughts and realise that the thoughts that you are having are either simply not true or just silly. More normal lessons with him and time may reinforce the absurdity of your thoughts and you will hopefully be alright with it after a while. Good luck.
    Thank you, I hope you are right!
    • Very Important Poster

I think its an awesome opportunity to make sure you get taught well and you get a really good grade.

ReputationRep:
    I was the only one who turned up to physics GCSE revision sessions for months & it wasn't a problem. He never has his lights on in his room (his own words: "what, do you need to photosynthesise?!") but none of the teachers thought it was 'creepy' - if anything, the teachers just think that you're willing to learn. It'll feel less awkward with time, don't worry

ReputationRep:
    I used to have 1-1 sessions for further maths in year 12 with a male teacher after school and I found it kinda awkward cause I really fancied him as well and he used to chat to me about odd topic things like ask me what I thought about other teachers or he'd start telling me about his day . It was great but I couldn't help feel awkward and not because I thought he would do anything bad but I just kept wondering whether he knew I fancied him. He only taught me for a few months tho and then went off to a different school but I kept seeing him at the supermarket where I worked and I ended chatting to him on a few occasions and felt a lot less awkward then when he was in the classroom
    Shame the guy is married

ReputationRep:
    I've had loads of 1 to 1 sessions, many teachers walk in. Nothing happens really, they'll probably just apologise.

ReputationRep:
    My male teacher is really wary of this kind of thing/making people uncomfortable. Once I went to his room after school for a little meeting and we had already sat down, then he quickly got up and said "oh is it okay if the door's closed?" to which I said "yeah, it's fine" but he ignored me and proceeded to open the back fire exit door lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatswrong.)
    It's people like you who think all men are out to molest you who end up ruining mens' lives by slandering and making false accusations. If you escalate this paranoia you're going end up tainting his reputation. Please don't do anything like that.
    This was the main plot in a book I read once. The guy's (teacher) life was entirely ruined and it was extremely difficult for him to find a job after he left prison. The whole town was scared of him and protected their girls from going anywhere near him. In court he was forced to lie and say that he was guilty, despite the accusation being completely wrong. In prison he was bullied by other inmates and was forced to do degrading things and they also did other nasty things to him...well, they tried but he managed to dodge the situation.

...And that was all because of a false accusation.

Spoiler:
    Show

Forgot what the book was called..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatswrong.)
    It's people like you who think all men are out to molest you who end up ruining mens' lives by slandering and making false accusations. If you escalate this paranoia you're going end up tainting his reputation. Please don't do anything like that.
    That would be horrible thing to do!! However, I don't think OP has any strong, repulsing view that all mens are creepy almost in an arrogant, egocentric way. She just can't help feel slightly scared and worried for whatever reason and was just asking for advice to calm down (I think/hope).

We all get worried about things that are irrational sometimes don't we? And isn't that just normal and fine as long as we don't do something crazy from it?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.