Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a few questions about student loans, thanks for any helpful replies!

My understanding with the tuition loans is that I will never see the money, the university is paid directly. Is this true?

How often are maintenance loans paid, and are they paid over a 12-month period or a 9/10-month period?.

Do people pay for their accommodation through their maintenance loan? I've been looking at Swansea's accommodation payment plan and it looks like the payments are made in lump sums half way through the terms. Terms 2 and 3 could be paid with the maintenance loan but I don't think I could pay the first term as I wouldn't have enough paid out yet to comfortably cover the entire term's payment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoryR)
    My understanding with the tuition loans is that I will never see the money, the university is paid directly. Is this true?
    Yes.

How often are maintenance loans paid, and are they paid over a 12-month period or a 9/10-month period?.
    Student Finance England pay in three installments, at the start of each term.

]Do people pay for their accommodation through their maintenance loan?
    Yes, that's usually where most/all of a student Maintenance Loan will go.

I've been looking at Swansea's accommodation payment plan and it looks like the payments are made in lump sums half way through the terms. Terms 2 and 3 could be paid with the maintenance loan but I don't think I could pay the first term as I wouldn't have enough paid out yet to comfortably cover the entire term's payment.
    If you're with SFE, then you should get an installment at the start of your first term which can be used for rent. Uni-owned accommodation is usually sympathetic to delays caused when waiting for SF money to arrive. However you will need to pay a deposit in advance, so that's an expense due before your student loan.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoryR)
    I have a few questions about student loans, thanks for any helpful replies!

Do people pay for their accommodation through their maintenance loan? I've been looking at Swansea's accommodation payment plan and it looks like the payments are made in lump sums half way through the terms. Terms 2 and 3 could be paid with the maintenance loan but I don't think I could pay the first term as I wouldn't have enough paid out yet to comfortably cover the entire term's payment.

Hello,

Student Finance loans are paid in 3 instalments at the start of every term. For information about our accommodation please get in touch with us: [email protected]

For money advice please follow the link below:

http://www.swansea.ac.uk/money-campuslife/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.