Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A LEVEL CHOICES SOON - 2 Modern Languages too much? PLEASE HELP! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello, TSR! I would really appreciate any advice, opinions and general tips about how best to manage two languages at A Level, if you are in a similar situation.

Basically, my aim is to study Modern Languages at uni, so that would be one post A Level (either French or Italian) and one ab initio (probably Russian or something like that). I am not fluent in either French or Italian, but I do both for GCSE, and I would really like to know just how difficult it is to manage two languages at A Level and how to manage all the vocabulary learning and grammar etc, or if it is a very bad idea to take on two and should be avoided altogether! I am incredibly passionate and devoted to languages, and I feel this is where my aptitude lies, so it seems to make sense to tailor my A Level choices towards them.

My options are very limited in terms of what I would do if I drop one of my languages. If I do end up doing the two languages, they will be studied alongside History and Economics. Also, can anyone give me some insights into how languages differ from GCSE to A Level, particularly in terms of content?

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!! Time is running out to make these choices.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it would be a problem. I would imagine it's quite common for people to be taking two foreign languages at A Level who are planning to do a Modern language degree. Especially considering that they are two latin-script languages, I don't think you should have a big problem. If you're passionate about languages, go for it.

The main difference between A Level and GCSE is that A Levels require you to really have a good, confident grip on all grammar principles of the language. You're also required to be very confident using the language spontaneously and still keeping the grammar somewhat intact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobBobson)
    I don't think it would be a problem. I would imagine it's quite common for people to be taking two foreign languages at A Level who are planning to do a Modern language degree. Especially considering that they are two latin-script languages, I don't think you should have a big problem. If you're passionate about languages, go for it.

The main difference between A Level and GCSE is that A Levels require you to really have a good, confident grip on all grammar principles of the language. You're also required to be very confident using the language spontaneously and still keeping the grammar somewhat intact.

Hey! Thanks so much for that; I really appreciate it. I will revise the grammar thoroughly over the summer, and try to read some newspapers/watch some films in those languages.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.