Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Looking for a low end smartphone, would prefer Linux but had a lot of issues performance wise with Android, and tbh Google apps kind of suck (gmail anyone?). I have no objection to using a Windows phone if it proves beneficial. Obviously can't get an IPhone.

How do these low end phones compare?

ReputationRep:
    If you don't care about having a cheap phone and looking outcast to your friends with their iphone6s's then they are the same yes

ReputationRep:
    I've had a Lumia 520 for three years; it's outdated and gone cheap now but it doesn't even have any scratches, which is why I haven't replaced it.

App wise: inferior to Apple/Android.

Everything else is comparable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheYearNiner)
    If you don't care about having a cheap phone and looking outcast to your friends with their iphone6s's then they are the same yes
    My friends aren't dumb so that should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdukazam)
    Looking for a low end smartphone, would prefer Linux but had a lot of issues performance wise with Android, and tbh Google apps kind of suck (gmail anyone?). I have no objection to using a Windows phone if it proves beneficial. Obviously can't get an IPhone.

How do these low end phones compare?
    Windows Phone is much worse for apps, most developers don't see the point of making their products for the platform.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jameswhughes)
    Windows Phone is much worse for apps, most developers don't see the point of making their products for the platform.
    Agreed although Visual Studio is amazing

Nevermind anyway, I picked up a cheap Android 6 smartphone earlier for 40 pound, which surprisingly seems to run even better than my Xperia did which was three times the price!
    Bargain.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Had a Nokia Lumia 520 which was about £50 at the time I purchased it. Absolute trash, it was never responsive when using the web browser, the touch mechanism barely worked and you can't even download any decent applications. The only good thing about the phone is that its indestructible. If you want a phone just to call and message, then this phone is just right for you.

ReputationRep:
    I had a Lumia 520 for 2 years and have had a 640 for nearly 2 years now. I'll probably be switching to Android when all the new phones are announced at MWC. Microsoft have killed the Lumia range and whilst rumours have confirmed it, Microsoft haven't actually annouced a Surface Phone (their new range) yet. Despite being the butt of a joke when people are showing off their smartphones, I didn't mind Windows but Microsoft aren't doing anything with it now.

They were worth having a couple of years ago when the market share was slightly higher. Now it's in the 'other' category of the market share, so a lot of developers have discontinued their apps. Windows 10 Mobile has some good features, and it's great having a dark screen (i.e. white font on black background), and the way contacts are stored (like business cards, linking all their social network profiles and contact details) is great.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.