Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Family accused of assisting suicide of paraplegic Watch

An unnamed family have been accused of assisting the suicide of a paraplegic woman, after a video emerged of them throwing the sufferer from a bridge.

The woman was found dead in the ravine over a month ago, and the investigation into her death initially concluded that it was a suicide, after a suicide note was found.

However, a video emerged of her family assisting her suicide, by throwing her off of a bridge over the ravine. Assisted suicide is illegal in Michigan, and is regarded as either manslaughter or even murder, with a maximum penalty of life imprisonment.

Video (Not Safe For Life)

ReputationRep:
    You're not allowed to help but They are allowed to commit If They are ill? What are the chances of being filmed doing that...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I wonder why they chose to do it in such a painful way.

Shame that was the paraplegic's only chance to pass if that's what they wantd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)

I thought this as well. No guarantee they didn't lay there in agony before dying. I don't know how I feel about allowing euthanasia, I can't decide if the risks are worth the benefits, but no one should be at the point where they're forced into a painful and terrifying death and no family should be prosecuted for doing the compassionate thing.

Its a shame that we make it so difficult for people to choose to end their lives in a dignified manner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Its a shame that we make it so difficult for people to choose to end their lives in a dignified manner.
    Courtesy of an episode of QI I watched the other night

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthan...hanasia_device

If that is indeed the same device they were talking about on the show, it asks you three questions that contain little to no ambiguity concerning the results of what using the device will be (basically, "if you use this device you will die. Is that what you want?", "If you click 'proceed' on the next page, you will die. Is that what you want?", and "u sure fam?". I've paraphrased out of an inability to remember the exact questions), though as one guest on the show pointed out "I'm assuming Amazon aren't stocking them?".

There are ways and means, but I'm with you on this: why the government(s) of the world are making it so difficult for people who consciously want to die achieve their goal instead of living their lives in misery, I have no idea. I'd argue that it's actually more immoral to prevent someone in that situation from ending their lives than it is from making sure that they endure their suffering by keeping them alive.

ReputationRep:
    That poor fam just tried to give her what she wanted
    Video (Not Safe For Life)
    hecc I didn't expect the audience to that big wtf

(Original post by Retired_Messiah)

It was big enough for them not to notice someone filming them.

Actually, its possible that they wanted to be filmed - if I had to guess, I'd say that this is part of a longer video, where the suicidee gave her consent for the 'suicide' before this clip, in case the family were taken to court over her assisted suicide.

Ironic, since the video is how they were caught.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anfanny)
    You're not allowed to help but They are allowed to commit If They are ill? What are the chances of being filmed doing that...

(Original post by doodle_333)
    I thought this as well. No guarantee they didn't lay there in agony before dying. I don't know how I feel about allowing euthanasia, I can't decide if the risks are worth the benefits, but no one should be at the point where they're forced into a painful and terrifying death and no family should be prosecuted for doing the compassionate thing.
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    Courtesy of an episode of QI I watched the other night

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthan...hanasia_device

If that is indeed the same device they were talking about on the show, it asks you three questions that contain little to no ambiguity concerning the results of what using the device will be (basically, "if you use this device you will die. Is that what you want?", "If you click 'proceed' on the next page, you will die. Is that what you want?", and "u sure fam?". I've paraphrased out of an inability to remember the exact questions), though as one guest on the show pointed out "I'm assuming Amazon aren't stocking them?".

There are ways and means, but I'm with you on this: why the government(s) of the world are making it so difficult for people who consciously want to die achieve their goal instead of living their lives in misery, I have no idea. I'd argue that it's actually more immoral to prevent someone in that situation from ending their lives than it is from making sure that they endure their suffering by keeping them alive.

Guys he's trolling you. It has been edited to look like that, the story is completely false. The person was bungee jumping. Watch this video:

(Original post by AshEntropy)
    Guys he's trolling you. It has been edited to look like that, the story is completely false. The person was bungee jumping. Watch this video:

Spoilsport :mad:

There is a reason I posted this to Chat... and at night. 'Twas put into pre-moderation because I had a video in the OP, and then it was moved here.

Honestly surprised it took this long for you guys to call it out.

ReputationRep:
    Spoilsport :mad:

There is a reason I posted this to Chat...

Honestly surprised it took this long for you guys to call it out.
    God how did I not notice lmao fml

You started a really stimulating debate tho good job

God how did I not notice lmao fml

You started a really stimulating debate tho good job
    Its such a ridiculous story I made up :rofl:

I should have at least said it was in Russia, not the US. This kind of stuff probably does go on in Russia, although there aren't nearly enough vodka bottles in the video.

But if you think that was a stimulating debate, check out this animal rights debate:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4480414

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshEntropy)

Haha, if I'd actually watched the video I'd have realised that >.< That vid's years old.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.