Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have just been looking through Uni rankings and noticed that Leicester used to be always nearly be in the top 15 (like 2008 to 2015ish) and now some tables have it lower for '17 (such as the guardian put it as 47). Also looking at their law ranking which has dropped to around 30/40 from top 20 (guardian even has it at 57). Forgive me but, is this truly representative of the situation or is Lei still actually a decent uni?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe this is just a one off? Bet they'll be top 15 again come 2019
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hey there,

Thank you for your comment. I appreciate that you may have some concerns, but I can reassure you that Law at University of Leicester is still very respected.

In terms of our teaching Leicester has been rated as 'excellent' in the last Higher Education funding assessment. For graduate prospects our Law department has been ranked 7th in England for graduate prospects in the Complete University Guide 2016. With more of our students qualify as solicitors than any other Law School outside of the Russel Group (Chambers Student).In 2015 98% of our graduates are in employment or further study 6 months after graduating.

I would also say that League table positions do fluctuate year on year and our long-standing reputation amongst employers as a leading Law School which produces high calibre students may be a more reliable measure of us as institution. Also, law firms are unlikely to look at the University’s league table position when making a decision on a graduate’s application and will more likely consider the reputation of the University, and so a Law degree from a well-respected institution like Leicester will stand then in good stead when you enter the graduate employment market.

I hope this helps.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to quote me.

Antonia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University of Leicester)
    Hey there,

Thank you for your comment. I appreciate that you may have some concerns, but I can reassure you that Law at University of Leicester is still very respected.

In terms of our teaching Leicester has been rated as 'excellent' in the last Higher Education funding assessment. For graduate prospects our Law department has been ranked 7th in England for graduate prospects in the Complete University Guide 2016. With more of our students qualify as solicitors than any other Law School outside of the Russel Group (Chambers Student).In 2015 98% of our graduates are in employment or further study 6 months after graduating.

I would also say that League table positions do fluctuate year on year and our long-standing reputation amongst employers as a leading Law School which produces high calibre students may be a more reliable measure of us as institution. Also, law firms are unlikely to look at the University’s league table position when making a decision on a graduate’s application and will more likely consider the reputation of the University, and so a Law degree from a well-respected institution like Leicester will stand then in good stead when you enter the graduate employment market.

I hope this helps.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to quote me.

Antonia
    True, I have heard that Lei are the best non-RG for law. Also looked at Lancaster's law dept but it is not as dedicated as Lei's. Kent's is a large one and nearly on par with Lei, but Lei just comes out on top I think. Also The Times have you lot as a top 30 uni and higher rated than Manchester and Lpool. But I'll visit your law open day to get a better feel. One more question, when yall gonna get RG? Next year? Couple a years?...
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A9M4D)
    True, I have heard that Lei are the best non-RG for law. Also looked at Lancaster's law dept but it is not as dedicated as Lei's. Kent's is a large one and nearly on par with Lei, but Lei just comes out on top I think. Also The Times have you lot as a top 30 uni and higher rated than Manchester and Lpool. But I'll visit your law open day to get a better feel. One more question, when yall gonna get RG? Next year? Couple a years?...
    Yeah I would definitely suggest visiting the university and seeing the Law department for yourself.

The University of Leicester was invited to be a part of the Russel group, however Leicester rejected the offer as the Vice Chancellor at the time decided that being a part of the group didn't fit with Leicester's goal of being an inclusive university. So Leicester will not be joining the Russell group. Although as you can see, not being part of the Russell group has not affected our dedication to our students.

I hope this helps you.

if you have any more questions, please feel free to message me.

Antonia

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.