Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Demand for White philosophers to be banned Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Calm down mein fuhrer.
    You're next

(Original post by 0xFFFFail)
    "UK media quotes students from the University of London’s School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) as saying that “the majority of philosophers on our courses” should be from Africa and Asia."

Is this not a reasonable request coming from SOAS? It's kind of in the name isn't it?
    Demanding for the majority to be X based on completely arbitrary information is not a reasonable request in any universe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    Yes, but no-one is listening.

There are dozens of institutions at which a person can study American Literature. These as well exclude some of the greats - 'a literature degree without Shakespeare!' - and that on the defensible criterion that they are not American. Cervantes typically gets very short shrift on degrees in French.

(Original post by Mactotaur)
    Aristotle was Greek, so was Plato, Voltaire was French, and Kant was German. Yes, you should absolutely get a range of cultures in World Philosophy, but what's so bad about having some European philosophers? Europe, after all, is a place in the world and occupies a place in world philosophical history.
    I'm not sure what the department is smoking but it should definitely be majority Asian/African. There's absolutely nothing wrong with honourable mentions and of course a few legendary philosophers who should be studied by everyone anyway (coincidentally a lot of them are European).
    That all being said, I know very little of philosophy outside of the very famous stuff and perhaps I am wrong here?

(Original post by Inexorably)
    Demanding for the majority to be X based on completely arbitrary information is not a reasonable request in any universe.
    So if these students had wanted to study a more balanced range of philosophers then surely they would consider a different school?

ReputationRep:
    "UK media quotes students from the University of London’s School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) as saying that “the majority of philosophers on our courses” should be from Africa and Asia."

Is this not a reasonable request coming from SOAS? It's kind of in the name isn't it?
    Yeah, bit of a non-story spun to make it look worse than it is really (unsurprising given it's RT), any other university it would be an absolute embarrassment for sure, but for the school of Oriental and African Studies, it's perhaps not an entirely absurd proposal. Not saying I agree with it though, I don't see why white philosophers can't have useful material on O&A studies, there's certainly some social justicy crap going on here.

ReputationRep:
    You're next

I suppose the biggest irony is if they did their work they'd realise the Greeks are unavoidable given their conquest of India and Persia...
    • Very Important Poster

https://www.rt.com/uk/373042-white-p...udents-demand/

Oh my God I want to bang my head against a brick wall these people literally deserve involuntary euthanasia.
    So it came from the Daily Mail and the people in actual charge have said its ridiculous. Its only a proposal by some students and not the wishes of all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    Aristotle was Greek, so was Plato, Voltaire was French, and Kant was German. Yes, you should absolutely get a range of cultures in World Philosophy, but what's so bad about having some European philosophers? Europe, after all, is a place in the world and occupies a place in world philosophical history.
    'World this-or-that' can sensibly be parsed as extra-European this or that, and more obviously in the context of degrees taught at SOAS. If I go to a world foods festival, I don't anticipate spagbol and cottage pie, for all that the places of origin for these foods are inarguably 'places in the world'.

If a person wants to study Plato and Kant, though, that want is already amply catered for. I have degrees in philosophy from two British universities and can't remember having been given a tilt at e.g. Indian or Chinese thinkers, even as an option course. I wouldn't then have wanted it, mind.

For as long as UCL isn't obliging its philosophy students to study Confucius - has "abolished Confucius"? - I don't know why SOAS need be requiring its world philosophy students to read Descartes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdukazam)
    I suppose the biggest irony is if they did their work they'd realise the Greeks are unavoidable given their conquest of India and Persia...
    Any attempt to avoid the Greeks would indeed be completely unavoidable, it's all very futile what they're proposing.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure what the department is smoking but it should definitely be majority Asian/African. There's absolutely nothing wrong with honourable mentions and of course a few legendary philosophers who should be studied by everyone anyway (coincidentally a lot of them are European).
    That all being said, I know very little of philosophy outside of the very famous stuff and perhaps I am wrong here?

So if these students had wanted to study a more balanced range of philosophers then surely they would consider a different school?
    I can't think of many tbh, China has quite a few interesting philosophers and The Five Classics are well known as great works. India has quite a lot of literature, Persia has a bit, there's quite a bit of Buddhist as well around the continent. No idea about Japan, South of China or Central Asia. I think they were still dominated by oral tribes? Though some has been preserved.

Yeah I agree you could probably have several courses that would need virtually no actual study of say, Plato.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.