Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I don't know what to do with this question! I've tried to do it but the approaches I tried don't get me any of these answers. The closest I got was 167,772,160 which is 10 x B so I may be on the right track but I can't get any of A-E.
    Any help would be much appreciated!

In a SAGE (serial analysis of gene expression) experiment, 12 bp of sequence are used to identify cDNAs that have been prepared from RNA from the lung tissue of a mouse with cystic fibrosis. The mouse genome is 2,716,965,481 bp in length. If the GC content of the mouse genome is 50 %, what is the likelihood of detecting the sequence ACGTACGTACGT in the genome at random?

A. once every 20,736 bp
    B. once every 16,777,216 bp
    C. once every 226,413,990 bp
    D. once every 2,716,965,481 bp
    E. you will never find this sequence
    1. Thank you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.