Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will libraries go the way of the dinosaur? Watch

ReputationRep:
    As much as I love a beautiful looking library, do you think that libraries in the future will mainly be of historical interest?

Google play right now has millions of books available. Your local library? Depends where you live I suppose.

I feel sad some really interesting culture might get destroyed, there's some really lovely looking buildings and communities going around but how will they compete?

If you're a local council investing in education, why spend millions building a library when you could improve wireless access and kill two birds with one stone?

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it, e-books need to be purchased whereas library cards are free and you can take books for free. So there's a good reason to keep them.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mistletoe)
    I doubt it, e-books need to be purchased whereas library cards are free and you can take books for free. So there's a good reason to keep them.
    Libraries lend e-books too. For free, online, without visiting the physical library.

ReputationRep:
    Aesthetically, you can't beat picking up and reading a good book. You can't replicate that feeling with a piece of technology. Honestly I love smelling the pages of old books

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gwaggy)
    Aesthetically, you can't beat picking up and reading a good book. You can't replicate that feeling with a piece of technology. Honestly I love smelling the pages of old books
    Agreed with hardbacks, paperbacks though? What a pain. A lot of our history will be preserved in book form one presumes, as the books and their materials themselves are of historical curiosity, not just the text.
    • Very Important Poster

Nope they have still managed to stay relevant. Lubraries are also local community centres where people get to meet, go to study, have internet facilities etc. I was a fan when younger and remain one. Not everyone likes ebooks either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdukazam)
    As much as I love a beautiful looking library, do you think that libraries in the future will mainly be of historical interest?

Google play right now has millions of books available. Your local library? Depends where you live I suppose.

I feel sad some really interesting culture might get destroyed, there's some really lovely looking buildings and communities going around but how will they compete?

If you're a local council investing in education, why spend millions building a library when you could improve wireless access and kill two birds with one stone?
    Well I'm currently at my university library, so for me, it's not just a place to get books, but a focused, calm place.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Although as I'm typing this some sort of drilling has started

It also has started encouraging the use of e-books, including textbooks through their website, but I personally find that having a physical copy of the book is a lot nicer, for those times where either my phone/laptop is out of battery or want to be completely cut off from distractions.

ReputationRep:
    Turn them into revision areas for a level,gcse students because mine gets so damn full near exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaylaB)
    Well I'm currently at my university library, so for me, it's not just a place to get books, but a focused, calm place.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Although as I'm typing this some sort of drilling has started

It also has started encouraging the use of e-books, including textbooks through their website, but I personally find that having a physical copy of the book is a lot nicer, for those times where either my phone/laptop is out of battery or want to be completely cut off from distractions.
    Last minute revision? :p:

I used to love going uni library at half 4 in morning haha, the howling wind kept me awake so I just walked up

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty sad - young millennials are rejecting more intelligent pastimes such are reading and instead are spending every waking hour glued to a screen playing mind-numbing games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdukazam)
    Last minute revision? :p:

I used to love going uni library at half 4 in morning haha, the howling wind kept me awake so I just walked up
    More like trying to learn whole units in the space of a day :flute::flute:

Yeah I got here yesterday at 3am (I haven't stayed here the whole time don't worry :laugh:) and it was quieter than usual, but I still surprised at the number of people :eek:

Guess that's what exam season does to you

ReputationRep:
    Libraries should be changing to suit the needs of the surrounding populace. If they can't adapt and prove to be less and less relevant overtime then what real need do we have for them?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think libraries will go extinct
    • Political Ambassador

People aren't ready to get rid of books yet, but that doesn't mean it can't happen in the future. Considering that everything is changing and more and more people are going to buy eReaders in the future, there is a good chance books won't be around anymore. Innovation replaces them by more convenient forms, it's much easier to get a PDF than to go to the library to borrow a physical book. The coming generations will prefer audiobooks and ebooks instead of old books.

I can't say the same about libraries, they do more than giving people the opportunity to borrow books. Libraries are study places and a lot of meetings happen there and they offer free internet for people who can't afford it so they are clearly beneficial to society. I don't see them being replaced with something else, tbh, but I see them evolving in the future.

ReputationRep:
    It's important that libraries stay open. Without them where will all the odd people with no concept of personal space go during the day?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.