Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I'm only in year 12, studying ICT, Maths & Physics all at A-Level. I want to go on to teach physics AND maths at high school when I'm older as these two subjects really interest me. Is there a degree that will allow me to teach both at GCSE level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oethan)
    So I'm only in year 12, studying ICT, Maths & Physics all at A-Level. I want to go on to teach physics AND maths at high school when I'm older as these two subjects really interest me. Is there a degree that will allow me to teach both at GCSE level?
    The head of maths at my college has a degree in Physics and is now teaching A level maths because he wanted a change from physics for a while xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wightsnowolf)
    The head of maths at my college has a degree in Physics and is now teaching A level maths because he wanted a change from physics for a while xD
    Thank you - I thought it was possible the only reason I don't want to be a strict maths based teacher is because physics is just as fun and there's so many scenarios you can apply the problems too! I think it's the application side of physics that I love.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you - I thought it was possible the only reason I don't want to be a strict maths based teacher is because physics is just as fun and there's so many scenarios you can apply the problems too! I think it's the application side of physics that I love.
    To be honest a nice balance of maths and physics that might work for you could be teaching A level physics. There's a decent amount of maths in the A2 specification now.

I think that if you want to possibly teach physics then I'd definitely go for a physics degree myself, since it's a lot easier to teach maths with a physics degree than physics with a maths degree.

Have you considered doing a joint honours such as Maths and Physics together?

ReputationRep:
    I think you'd have to do Physics rather than maths... even though uni maths is very different from physics you would easily be able to teach A-level maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wightsnowolf)
    To be honest a nice balance of maths and physics that might work for you could be teaching A level physics. There's a decent amount of maths in the A2 specification now.

I think that if you want to possibly teach physics then I'd definitely go for a physics degree myself, since it's a lot easier to teach maths with a physics degree than physics with a maths degree.

Have you considered doing a joint honours such as Maths and Physics together?
    I was reading about it a few days ago actually and I'm still not sure though, I have a year to decide still. The only problem is with physics, most schools you'll have to teach Chemistry and Biology - I only got Bs at GCSE in these two subjects and didn't continue with them for A-Level. That's why I'm thinking maths is a better path to take. Thank you for your time <3

ReputationRep:
    Theoretical Physics, Maths with/and Physics (joint honour course). You can also do a normal Maths degree, and choose all the Physics optional modules (this is what I'm doing, although I'm not interested in being a teacher).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 10, 2017
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.