Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Living with 3 men .... two of them are 10 years older than me. Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I will be starting my semester abroad in Hamburg in March and I found a nice flat from a website made for students but it turned out to be part of a big apartment leasing company and now I'm with three guys and two of them are 10 years older than me .... now as a girl and a girl who gets nervous a lot this kinda unsettles me. I'm sure they will end up being nice but it makes me a bit uncomfortable tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps talk to the company and cite reasons such as religion? Perhaps you're a nun when inside!

ReputationRep:
    I can understand your perspective and how that would make you feel uncomfortable - I would feel the same, especially being in a foreign country. Are there not any alternative places within the company that you could swap to?
    • Political Ambassador

If you can't swap you'll just have to get used to the fact that they are going to be your flat mates, sometimes you have to accept these things.

I don't think it's going to be a problem, tho. Think of it as an advantage, maybe they're more mature considering their age so the house will be in good hands.

ReputationRep:
    I have messaged the person who I applied with and we will see what happens. They could turn out to be super nice people or If not I will just spend 5 months locked in my room

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diamonds1997)
    I have messaged the person who I applied with and we will see what happens. They could turn out to be super nice people or If not I will just spend 5 months locked in my room
    Also they may not know any english at all, it's gonna be an experience and a half to say the least
    • Political Ambassador

Also they may not know any english at all, it's gonna be an experience and a half to say the least
    That will be fun. Maybe they'll learn English, if not, you'll interact to each other through sign language. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    I can already hear a fret-slap bass riff and wahwah pedal.

ReputationRep:
    TBH in Germany you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't have basic English skills

I've lived with 3 guys before (I'm a girl too!) and honestly while a few people I knew found it weird (especially given I didn't know them) it was the best living situation I ever had in shared accommodation we got on great, the atmosphere was more chilled out than in female only flats and we generally just had fun. You're just as likely to live with a female who's a weirdo/creepy as a guy who is (I know someone whose flatmate set fire to their room...) so try not to be judgemental.

Also - enjoy Germany I'm living not too far from Hamburg at the moment and it's great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    TBH in Germany you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't have basic English skills

I've lived with 3 guys before (I'm a girl too!) and honestly while a few people I knew found it weird (especially given I didn't know them) it was the best living situation I ever had in shared accommodation we got on great, the atmosphere was more chilled out than in female only flats and we generally just had fun. You're just as likely to live with a female who's a weirdo/creepy as a guy who is (I know someone whose flatmate set fire to their room...) so try not to be judgemental.

Also - enjoy Germany I'm living not too far from Hamburg at the moment and it's great!
    Thanks! I am hoping it should all go great and fine, but if it doesn't I have two weeks to be able to terminate the contract then that after three months i can terminate the contract so if I really don't get a long with them I can instantly just leave and find somewhere else.
    Where abouts around hamburg do you live?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I am hoping it should all go great and fine, but if it doesn't I have two weeks to be able to terminate the contract then that after three months i can terminate the contract so if I really don't get a long with them I can instantly just leave and find somewhere else.
    Where abouts around hamburg do you live?
    Kiel, so I'm about an hour and a half away

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.