Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"We don't tip black people" Black waitress told. Watch

ReputationRep:
    In the international news-worthy incident, a black waitress in Virginia was allegedly left a note by customers saying they 'don't tip black people.'

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38561883

Due to previous incidents similar to this which have (all?) been revealed as hoaxes in recent months (homophobic/racist cakes, receipts...), the BBC has made doubly sure to mention this in th- ...Ah, never mind.

Who's taking bets?

ReputationRep:
    lmao racist cakes

people really do underestimate the stupidity of a human being so I vote that this happened, that people were daft enough to leave rude ass notes like that lol
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Bets at what?

ReputationRep:
    Why write "great service" if you're only going racially insult the waitress who provided you with it? I don't get it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    Bets at what?
    Over whether it's yet another hoax by a person out for their 15 minutes of fame.

Might not be, but call it a hunch...
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    Over whether it's yet another hoax by a person out for their 15 minutes of fame.

Might not be, but call it a hunch...
    Hmm, maybe.

ReputationRep:
    What I don't understand is why they were obliged to tell her? They could have just said thanks, but no, they told her 'we loved the service but we won't tip you cos you're black' basically. Are they proud to be identified and called racists? Like wtf.

ReputationRep:
    This seems... very.. odd? I think something's up - why would you put great service & that message?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    This seems... very.. odd? I think something's up - why would you put great service & that message?
    My thoughts exactly lol...

ReputationRep:
    This isn't even a surprise anymore, people love being racist to black people. It's always the black people.

ReputationRep:
    Her response in the article makes me think that this is probably true.

ReputationRep:
    A complete non-issue, it's only a couple of dollars.

ReputationRep:
    As always I'm sceptical something about it just doesn't feel right

ReputationRep:
    I don't tip anyone. It's the responsibility of there employer to provide a decent wage not me.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm bit odd but it could be legit. Obviously over there tipping is the norm, so if they left no tip without context she'd take it as a strong negative review of her waitressing ability. So they're saying it was her colour not her work....but especially being in their twenties, I'm surprised they'd think like that. But it does still happen.

ReputationRep:
    This isnt newsworthy, and it seems pretty odd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Len Goodman)
    A complete non-issue, it's only a couple of dollars.
    Its not the money thats the issue here. Its treating a person different because of colour. If we let people get away with here then it allows a dangerous precident as to how far it can go. I mean if they were a doctor, or teacher, and refused their service to a black person, im sure you would agree its wrong. If the service was bad, dont tip. If you dont tip cos youre tight, also fine. If you dont tip a waitress based on colour where if she was white you would is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Really? All hoaxes? Or have you found a few incidents that were hoaxes and are now trying to blow this out of proportion?

I know of plenty of incidents that happened in the recent years that were not hoaxes, such as the two French ladies who were refused service for wearing hijab which was caught on camera, and the Black serviceman who was treated like a criminal in Chili's, also caught on camera.

There is no evidence that she is lying so no need to assume that she is unless we get some. That's how innocent until proven guilty works.

ReputationRep:
    i call massive ******** on this.

the liberal part of society do not fail to surprise me. constant lies and hypocrisy.

OP; i'm placing 50£ bet that this **** is false.

(Original post by Guru Jason)
    Its not the money thats the issue here. Its treating a person different because of colour. If we let people get away with here then it allows a dangerous precident as to how far it can go. I mean if they were a doctor, or teacher, and refused their service to a black person, im sure you would agree its wrong. If the service was bad, dont tip. If you dont tip cos youre tight, also fine. If you dont tip a waitress based on colour where if she was white you would is wrong.
    surely even you can see that this is just a means of creating racial tensions caused by donald trumps election? a means of liberals to belittle the elections' effectiveness by trying (and failing) to create more divide by pining it on white people? i mean, lets play devil advocate. say you're a racist; or what-have-you and you utterly detest black people. why on earth would you even bother going to a restaurnt with black waitresses in the first place? why would you want to look at them? eat the food they bring you? even attempt to be in the same room as them? surely your fears of being poisoned or killed by black witchery would be more prevalent than acting in such a backward, liberal-esque manner?? (there are several sources that have dispelled All if not 95% of hate crimes that occured after/during the election as paid jobs sanctioned by the liberal elite directly or indirectly. google 'election hate hoaxes' and click on any of the links there). this is utter ****.

(Original post by emerald7770)
    This isn't even a surprise anymore, people love being racist to black people. It's always the black people.
    oh **** out of here with your defeatist attitude. grow up and realize that not every single race on earth is out to get you all of the time. when on earth will you realize that matters of the past (re: slavery/racial tensions) are best left in their origins? grow a ****ing pair mate. besides, people love being racist to anyone! in any country! even in america! i mean, wasn't it just last week wherein CNN refused to sanction a hit on a disabled individual as what it was; a hate crime?? four individuals walked up to this dude and tortured him! yet CNN refuse to call them what it was; an attack on a poor individual; who's only crime in life was being white.

this story is just another fad/fake-news that the msm will most doubtly pick up on in order to portray white people as racists; whereas black people aren't exactly saints (but no one wants to talk about that. not even the 'white' news agencies; who are supposed to be on 'whites' side).

the hypocrisy.

(Original post by theDanIdentity)
      i call massive ******** on this.

the liberal part of society do not fail to surprise me. constant lies and hypocrisy.

OP; i'm placing 50£ bet that this **** is false.

surely even you can see that this is just a means of creating racial tensions caused by donald trumps election? a means of liberals to belittle the elections' effectiveness by trying (and failing) to create more divide by pining it on white people? i mean, lets play devil advocate. say you're a racist; or what-have-you and you utterly detest black people. why on earth would you even bother going to a restaurnt with black waitresses in the first place? why would you want to look at them? eat the food they bring you? even attempt to be in the same room as them? surely your fears of being poisoned or killed by black witchery would be more prevalent than acting in such a backward, liberal-esque manner?? (there are several sources that have dispelled All if not 95% of hate crimes that occured after/during the election as paid jobs sanctioned by the liberal elite directly or indirectly. google 'election hate hoaxes' and click on any of the links there). this is utter ****.

oh **** out of here with your defeatist attitude. grow up and realize that not every single race on earth is out to get you all of the time. when on earth will you realize that matters of the past (re: slavery/racial tensions) are best left in their origins? grow a ****ing pair mate. besides, people love being racist to anyone! in any country! even in america! i mean, wasn't it just last week wherein CNN refused to sanction a hit on a disabled individual as what it was; a hate crime?? four individuals walked up to this dude and tortured him! yet CNN refuse to call them what it was; an attack on a poor individual; who's only crime in life was being white.

this story is just another fad/fake-news that the msm will most doubtly pick up on in order to portray white people as racists; whereas black people aren't exactly saints (but no one wants to talk about that. not even the 'white' news agencies; who are supposed to be on 'whites' side).

the hypocrisy.
      Sigh. Realise that both sides are doing the same thing.

1. When those four people kidnapped and tortured that white guy people everywhere got their pitchforks ready without knowing whether it was a fake story or not because like this it also seemed really odd.
      2. What do you mean no one wants to talk about it when black people do unsavoury things? There were about three threads about the kidnapping incident on here, it was picked up by most msm outlets and the perpetrators went to jail immediately.

Also how come white on ethnic minorty hate crime is always fake/false but ethnic minority on white hate crim is never ever false/fake?

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 12, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.