Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"We don't tip black people" Black waitress told. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Her response in the article makes me think that this is probably true.
    Was thinking this, the fact she was so calm and willing to forgive the people who wrote that makes me think it's genuine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WBZ144)
    Really? All hoaxes? Or have you found a few incidents that were hoaxes and are now trying to blow this out of proportion?

I know of plenty of incidents that happened in the recent years that were not hoaxes, such as the two French ladies who were refused service for wearing hijab which was caught on camera, and the Black serviceman who was treated like a criminal in Chili's, also caught on camera.

There is no evidence that she is lying so no need to assume that she is unless we get some. That's how innocent until proven guilty works.
    Honestly, it's not a big deal. A tip is not much, considering that she's actually benefitted heavily from posting this on the internet and getting donations

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theDanIdentity)
    "ignorant B.S"? once again i see big words, but no debating to make me see Your point of view.

"misled opinion"? "why i'm so wrong"? so. if you're Not going to debate me despite my asking to do so; why did you bother quoting me in the first place? i'm not going to listen to what you have to say after all (according to you); i won't bother to debate you and i will just out-right dismiss you (according to you). so why are you quoting me? quoting me to tell me to shut-up doesn't fly fyi. i'm pretty sure i'm allowed my opinions just as you're allowed to tell me to shut-up and i'm allowed to question the necessity for it, request you debate me on my principles and failing that; out-right ignore you for your lack of communication skills. i'm not a liberal. i talk **** out and try to reason with people. this is not twitter/your safe space.
    btw, before you start with "you havn't experienced what i'm talking about"; i call ******** on that; as a quick google search will refute any claims that people of differing/varying races do not experience racism (as the most recent attack on that disabled white guy shows). everyone experiences racism; it isn't limited to/subjected to one race.
    furthermore your stance on the topic is mildly confusing; "if people havn't experienced it they can't speak"? if that were the case, are you advocating that in a court of law with a victim of rape and mental trauma; the judge that is presiding (and all judges/juries afterwards) are automatically disqualified from speaking on any and all matters pertaining to the case Unless they had been through the same trauma as well? how on earth does that help matters? can you not see how pedantic you're being? it's the same as saying: "if you havn't been a victim of mass murder; don't speak"; which is an out-right disgusting way of viewing things as it only serves to act as an echo-chamber of ones' viewpoints but doesn't in anyway entertain the opposing one.
    Regardless, how would you feel if the person has Gone through the repulsive manner with which they were subjected (re: racism/sexism/what-have-you) and still abruptly decide on a position contrary to yours and the manner you'd expect them to view all similar matters? what, would you shut them down as well for not toeing the line and being a subjective echo-chamber for your needs to be validated (like the manner in which black people coons for not seeing the world the way the liberal blacks would like them to. which is just disgusting)?
    frankly, i feel like such a viewpoint is not only discriminatory; but outright insulting as well. it only serves to perpetuate the notion that anyone that hasn't been made to feel a certain way; is at once considered irrelevant in all dealings to society; and surely contradicts your viewpoint in a hypocritical manner as with a viewpoint like that you're effectively telling people what to do (re:shut-up) whilst telling them they can't tell You what to do (re:shut-up).
    Can I get a tl:dr?

(Original post by Harold98)
      Honestly, it's not a big deal. A tip is not much, considering that she's actually benefitted heavily from posting this on the internet and getting donations
      Experiencing racism is a big deal
      Maybe you've never experienced it but being made to feel inferior, in this case so inferior you don't even deserve a measly tip, because of your skin is a big knock to ones confidence.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by StrawbAri)
      Experiencing racism is a big deal
      Maybe you've never experienced it but being made to feel inferior, in this case so inferior you don't even deserve a measly tip, because of your skin is a big knock to ones confidence.
      Haters gonna hate, you shouldn't let stuff like this get to your head. There will always be racists and hateful people. It's not a big deal.

Haters gonna hate, you shouldn't let stuff like this get to your head. There will always be racists and hateful people. It's not a big deal.
        When does it then become a big deal?
        When people are being led to concentration camps over their skin? You've got to address things like this before they snowball.
        Sure there will always be racists but then there will always be people willing to stand up for themselves and you can't tell people they're not allowed to do that.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by StrawbAri)
        When does it then become a big deal?
        When people are being led to concentration camps over their skin? You've got to address things like this before they snowball.
        Sure there will always be racists but then there will always be willing to stand up for themselves and you can't tell people they're not allowed to do that.
        Yeah but stuff like not tipping black people is just ignorance, not racial violence or aggravated racism. Technically it's not really illegal to not tip a black waitress.
        • Very Important Poster

Why should people have to put up with racism, instead of pointing it out for what it is? There a difference between ignoring the odd incident and starting to believe its accpetable by doing nothing. What level of racism do you find acceptable? What if its directed at your family? Is it still no big deal ?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Dodgypirate)
        Why write "great service" if you're only going racially insult the waitress who provided you with it? I don't get it.
        *Politically correct dogs.*

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by l'etranger)
        Was thinking this, the fact she was so calm and willing to forgive the people who wrote that makes me think it's genuine.
        I would have my doubts if she had used it to make a point about Trump or his supporters.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Dandaman1)
        In the international news-worthy incident, a black waitress in Virginia was allegedly left a note by customers saying they 'don't tip black people.'

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38561883

Due to previous incidents similar to this which have (all?) been revealed as hoaxes in recent months (homophobic/racist cakes, receipts...), the BBC has made doubly sure to mention this in th- ...Ah, never mind.

Who's taking bets?
        Welcome to DRUMPF'S AMERIKKKA!

Nah, I'm just kidding. I doubt this happened.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by 999tigger)
        Why should people have to put up with racism, instead of pointing it out for what it is? There a difference between ignoring the odd incident and starting to believe its accpetable by doing nothing. What level of racism do you find acceptable? What if its directed at your family? Is it still no big deal ?
        Racism is scummy, but if it's just words then it isn't a big deal no matter who its directed at.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
        The door to this kind of overt racism is opened by those politicians of the Right who have repeatedly targeted 'PC correctness' as some kind of burden on the privileged, whereas in fact it's about common sense decency and politeness. Here's what we have as a result and it's not just the US - there has been a wave of racist incidents and behaviour in the UK following the Brexit result. Farage's politics are also aimed at denigrating a decent society and stirring up hate.

It's wonderful to see the people of Virginia rallying around and sticking up for this waitress. We should all be watchful for things like this here, many people think that Farage and his supporters in the government have given them permission to behave in publicly racist ways. We need to fight back against it.
        Look, I know Nigel Farage is the devil incarnate and all, but blaming him for a black waitress in the US not getting a tip is a BIT of a stretch, even for the extreme left.

As for this being the result of the "overt racism" of anti PC politicos, you do realise that Richmond, Virginia was the the capital of the whole Confederacy and the State was where most of the battles of the US Civil War were fought, right?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by MathsAndCoffee)
        I don't tip anyone. It's the responsibility of there employer to provide a decent wage not me.
        And now I will follow you :adore:
        • Very Important Poster

(Original post by jape)
        Racism is scummy, but if it's just words then it isn't a big deal no matter who its directed at.
        Speak for yourself, but not everyone finds it acceptable or feel it should be tolerated. Many people will find it deeply offensive and upsetting.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by 999tigger)
        Speak for yourself, but not everyone finds it acceptable or feel it should be tolerated. Many people will find it deeply offensive and upsetting.
        At the end of the day, it's just words. They can't hurt you. You can ignore them. The manifestation of racism in behavior is different, but that's not what you're talking about.

ReputationRep:
        this!

As long as you can go to school and work like everyone else and get health care, other civil rights, etc nothing else matters. The social banter people have a go about like this is a right pisstake on the actual civil rights movement. If this actually happened, write it off as cowardice and keep it moving, why did this even make the news? Who actually went down to the police or the papers with the little note demanding justice? Does my head in seriously.

ReputationRep:
        There's $1.73 Tax Charge on that receipt, but the county of Loudoun VA (where this restaurant is) doesn't impose a meals tax.

Maybe the State of Virginia does, I don't know. But something to think about.

ReputationRep:

Yes the comment may have been from a racist point of view, but the media shall report this simply to start fights and divisions between communities after-all they live off the pain and suffering of humans.
        I wasn't particularly keen on Donald Trump becoming a president, however I am beginning to notice they only report when Donald trump screws up, because they want the world to be full of violence.
        Just stop talking about Racism in such a way, The matter does need to be stopped, however such reports only fuel these racist outbreaks.
        • Very Important Poster

(Original post by jape)
        At the end of the day, it's just words. They can't hurt you. You can ignore them. The manifestation of racism in behavior is different, but that's not what you're talking about.
        Not everyone is able to brush it off. I dont see why you feel the need to belittle what i find is unnaceptable. You might ignore it ince , but what about the next time and the time after that? Racism, especially on those more vulnerable can have a traumatic effect.

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 12, 2017
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Useful resources
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.