Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"We don't tip black people" Black waitress told. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Not everyone is able to brush it off. I dont see why you feel the need to belittle what i find is unnaceptable. You might ignore it ince , but what about the next time and the time after that? Racism, especially on those more vulnerable can have a traumatic effect.
    If you can't ignore someone's speech, that's on you. Not the person speaking.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by jape)
    If you can't ignore someone's speech, that's on you. Not the person speaking.
    Not really. You shouldn't have to put up with racial abuse in the first place. You seem to be excusing it.

ReputationRep:
    Not really. You shouldn't have to put up with racial abuse in the first place. You seem to be excusing it.
    A waitress didn't get tipped a few dollars.

When toddlers in Syria are shooting people in the head, in a world where millions starve to death every year, with people drowning in boats trying to escape war torn lands on our doorsteps, can you not so how deeply deeply trivial this episode was?

How unworthy of the attention of the global news media?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by astutehirstute)
    A waitress didn't get tipped a few dollars.

When toddlers in Syria are shooting people in the head, in a world where millions starve to death every year, with people drowning in boats trying to escape war torn lands on our doorsteps, can you not so how deeply deeply trivial this episode was?

How unworthy of the attention of the global news media?
    Different issue, but the media is entitled to pick the stories it thinks its readers/ viewers might be interested in, especially where they are local. Race relations are important in the US. They have been reporting on Syria and drowining immigrants for years. It doesnt mean you cant report on other issues.

Why do some people hold backward views in 2017?

ReputationRep:
      Different issue, but the media is entitled to pick the stories it thinks its readers/ viewers might be interested in, especially where they are local. Race relations are important in the US. They have been reporting on Syria and drowining immigrants for years. It doesnt mean you cant report on other issues.
      It was a non story.

Still she did well out of it. The original bill was $30.52, so even a generous and colour blind tip wouldn't have been more than five bucks. As it is, well wishers have contributed $3000 (and counting) to assuage her dreadful pain and torment over the incident. She can stroke all that dough to soothe her poor, racially broken heart.

Hard to begrudge her it, I suppose, I doubt she gets paid much, but there are certainly much more deserving causes, all the same. :rolleyes:

The United States is completely mad. Stark raving, stone cold, bonkers. But then we knew that already...
      • Very Important Poster

It was a non story.

Still she did well out of it. The original bill was $30.52, so even a generous and colour blind tip wouldn't have been more than five bucks. As it is, well wishers have contributed $3000 (and counting) to assuage her dreadful pain and torment over the incident. She can stroke all that dough to soothe her poor, racially broken heart.

Hard to begrudge her it, I suppose, I doubt she gets paid much, but there are certainly much more deserving causes, all the same. :rolleyes:

The United States is completely mad. Stark raving, stone cold, bonkers. But then we knew that already...
      It was what it was. If it wasnt a fraud , then it was unusual enough for her to put on her social media and papers like the DM are all over stoprues like that. There isnt a filter on what will go viral these days. On its own its a small incident, but the US does have a hostory and ongoing issues with race relations. This event might be small, but race relations is ratehr a big topic.

If you gace people the choice then Im sure they would sau they ratehr not have to put up with racism at all more than a few $, so i dont think fact some people made up the tip is neither here nor there. Not being precious about it, just why should people have to put up with it?

ReputationRep:
      Presumably they are. If thats what they believe and you feel safe having those views, then its hardly surpising they would come to the surface. Wait to see how it pans out.
      I bet they're happy with their racist views until someone says anything they perceive as 'anti-white'.

Then out rolls hypocrisy.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Dandaman1)
      There have been lots stories over the past year of people being left anonymous racist/homophobic/anti-Semitic messages which turned out to be bogus. Something like this is too easy to fake. And honestly, who would go to the press over a note like this? It just seems like an overblown reaction, which again leads me to suspect this is another one of those instances where a person just wants some attention.

You mention innocent until proven guilty. So why believe her story without something more substantial than an anonymous, easily fabricated note?

But whether or not this is another hoax, my main gripe is that there has been no skepticism at all from the media, despite it being warranted.
      And there are lots of incidents of racism/homophobia/anti-Semitism which are documented and proven true, many with video evidence. So to say that all have been hoaxes is very dishonest.

In many of these cases someone will put the picture of the note on social media or would write a status describing in, then the press will swarm over it like vultures. And even if she was the one who went to the press, why is that an issue? Why should she just shut up and allow herself to be treated like that? This post sums it up quite well:

(Original post by StrawbAri)
      Experiencing racism is a big deal
      Maybe you've never experienced it but being made to feel inferior, in this case so inferior you don't even deserve a measly tip, because of your skin is a big knock to ones confidence.
      There is no evidence that she is lying, so she is not a liar until proven to be one. What you described there would be a case of "guilty until proven innocent". If the couple had been identified and had denied that they left the note, I would also deem them innocent until proven guilty and reserve judgement.

A while back there was a case of a German girl who was proven to have lied about being sexually assaulted by a migrant. That does not suddenly make the misogyny in certain migrant communities which may lead to sexual assault a non-issue. And I am sure that if another German girl came forward with a similar accusation and somebody automatically accused her of lying, we would all agree that he/she is quite despicable and is victim blaming.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by MathsAndCoffee)
      I don't tip anyone. It's the responsibility of there employer to provide a decent wage not me.
      I don't think the purpose of tipping is supposed to be that you feel sorry for a person because of how low their wages are and give them extra money to compensate for it.

The idea is that if the server knows the amount of money they're going to get is variable depending on the quality of service they provide, it will incentivise them to provide better, faster, more efficient service.

I think that's why the standards of customer service in countries with a tipping culture has always seemed a lot higher to me.

It was a non story.

So I suppose you also feel the same way about the time that Rhodes must fall agitator refused to tip a white waitress and made her cry? It made it onto many msm outlets so defineitly you think that was a non issue as well?

Also I would emplore you to be a bit more empathetic. As someone that has received a lot of maltreatment based on my skin I can tell you it hurts a lot because you never asked to look the way you do.

ReputationRep:
        So I suppose you also feel the same way about the time that Rhodes must fall agitator refused to tip a white waitress and made her cry? It made it onto many msm outlets so defineitly you think that was a non issue as well?

Also I would emplore you to be a bit more empathetic. As someone that has received a lot of maltreatment based on my skin I can tell you it hurts a lot because you never asked to look the way you do.
        The Rhodes must Fall waitress incident was newsworthy, (in a relatively minor way) but only because of the notoriety of the perpetrator.

If a random black guy had insulted a white waitress it would not have been, but because he had recently been much in the news it then became so. In the same way as if any public figure behaved like that. An ANC politician say.

It wasn't a news story about the waitress and her feelings! It was about his behaviour.

I feel some empathy for the waitress on a human level, but it is limited. Life is tough, we all get insulted like this, or far worse, from time to time. We don't expect it to make global news, it fact it would be absurd for it to become so.

ReputationRep:
        My guess is it never happened. f someone is that racist they wouldn't want her to touch there plates so they wouldn't be eating there.

ReputationRep:
        Next time they come in.

We don't serve monkeys.

ReputationRep:
        1. Need to raise some money.
        2. Write your own offensive note
        3. Post it and get it to go viral
        4. People will start sending you money
        5. Profit

(Original post by Trinculo)
          1. Need to raise some money.
          2. Write your own offensive note
          3. Post it and get it to go viral
          4. People will start sending you money
          5. Profit
          Have you got proof it's fake?

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by oldercon1953)
          My guess is it never happened. f someone is that racist they wouldn't want her to touch there plates so they wouldn't be eating there.
          That's extremely inaccurate. Racism is rampant in Gulf Middle Eastern countries, yet racists over there have no problem with races they deem inferior serving their meals. Racists in America used to own slaves who they viewed as inferior. Those slaves would regularly cook and serve their food.

ReputationRep:
          Have you got proof it's fake?
          Balance of probability. The area the restaurant is in has no meals tax, it is incredibly unlikely that a genuine racist would actually write that, and ALL of the recent hate crime fiascos have all been fake.

(Original post by jape)
            Balance of probability. The area the restaurant is in has no meals tax, it is incredibly unlikely that a genuine racist would actually write that, and ALL of the recent hate crime fiascos have all been fake.
            So it is probable that it is fake and not 100% fake like some people are saying? If yes why do people play off speculation as fact?
            All? quite a few yes but all nope. The hanger rape incident wasn't fake, the kidnapping incident wasn't fake.
            In these times it's easy for people to pretend their group experienced hate for sympathy and it's healthy to be skeptical but it's not right to come to conclusions before sufficient proof is available. That goes for both lefties and righties .

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by jape)
            Refer to my previous point. What are you basing your claim on that they were all fake? Do you have evidence to support that? It's dishonest and very misleading, considering that some of them have video evidence and have resulted in arrests.

Submit reply
          TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 12, 2017
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
          Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
          Useful resources
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.