Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"We don't tip black people" Black waitress told. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WBZ144)
    Refer to my previous point. What are you basing your claim on that they were all fake? Do you have evidence to support that? It's dishonest and very misleading, considering that some of them have video evidence and have resulted in arrests.
    All the ones since early November (the ones the media have bothered to pick up enough for most people to have heard about, I'm not omnescient) have been admitted by the people making the allegations to be fake or the law enforcement have found them to be so after investigating. With the exception of the chap tortured in Chicago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WBZ144)
    That's extremely inaccurate. Racism is rampant in Gulf Middle Eastern countries, yet racists over there have no problem with races they deem inferior serving their meals. Racists in America used to own slaves who they viewed as inferior. Those slaves would regularly cook and serve their food.
    I know nothing about Gulf Eastern countries. I can only speak about the U.S..
    What you're saying makes sense and is quite true. In fact it wasn't unusual for black women to nurse the babies of their white owners. However, anyone who today is a true racist knows blacks are not inferior. In fact they are aware that any given individual that is black may make more money than them and may come from a higher social class than them. That's not what fuels todays' racist attitudes in my opinion. Today it's more like a, "separate but equal", type attitude as can be seen in current KKK literature. That's why I said those diners would probably have chosen another place to eat.
    Regarding racism in general in the U.S. today .There is one institution in the U.S. where racism is institutionalized. That's in the prison system. In prison you are forced to choose sides according to color. The races do not mix. So many blacks and whites are effected by the penal system that it's no wonder to me that this prison mentality is not brought with them when they'er released. Millions of Americans are not effected by the prison system and this may be the reason for the apparent disconnect between those who see racism in almost everything and those who say they see almost no racism in society.

ReputationRep:
    Dumb question: is tipping not the norm in the U.K.?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldercon1953)
    Dumb question: is tipping not the norm in the U.K.?
    No, it's an option.

In the UK, we'll tip if it's a good service.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    All the ones since early November (the ones the media have bothered to pick up enough for most people to have heard about, I'm not omnescient) have been admitted by the people making the allegations to be fake or the law enforcement have found them to be so after investigating. With the exception of the chap tortured in Chicago.
    There have been hundreds, if not thousands since early November. Can you prove that they were all admitted to be fake? I can think of at least a few that were caught on camera (the Black veteran at Chilli's, the Iranian trans woman, the Arab man who was sworn at and harassed continuously as he tried to drive in peace, etc).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    In the international news-worthy incident, a black waitress in Virginia was allegedly left a note by customers saying they 'don't tip black people.'

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38561883

Due to previous incidents similar to this which have (all?) been revealed as hoaxes in recent months (homophobic/racist cakes, receipts...), the BBC has made doubly sure to mention this in th- ...Ah, never mind.

Who's taking bets?
    lmao at all the people just dropping by to give her a hug. What is she 11?

ReputationRep:
    Two thoughts:

The people who have questioned whether this is genuine have all questioned whether the waitress made it up. The other possibility is that the customers "made it up" i.e. It didn't represent their views but was done simply to provoke a reaction. You wouldn't have to write this on many receipts before someone noticed and took it to the media.

Were the customers also in the hospitality industry? There is an issue in the USA about black customers and tipping.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...=.a8c180a9d2e3

Was the note a reaction to this issue from someone in the same industry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.