Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a 2016 fresher and since the beginning I have had doubts about my course and the uni itself... I am not really enjoying the course, finding it extremely difficult, haven't really made any decent friends, etc., and I'm just having a miserable time of it. I love living in London however..

I worked my BUTT off during a levels to get here and it feels like such a waste to throw away my time here, both of the opportunity and my own effort getting here (it has been my absolute dream for the past two years)... I mean, neither of these are great reasons to stay, but nevertheless, I'm still here. And the job prospects for my uni are really good, so I just feel like I'm throwing a lot away...

I am unsure if I will withdraw, probably will do if I fail my January exams... But if not who knows

Sorry for the long winded route to get here, but my question is

Is it possible to apply on UCAS for a university course while still at university, or do you need to withdraw first?
    The deadline is fast approaching and I haven't made my mind up yet - don't want to rush into a hasty decision either. (I'm specifically looking at Manchester uni, if that helps)

I've also heard it's possible to make informal applications after the UCAS deadline - is that true and if so, is it something Manchester partake in?

& While we're at it general advice: I'm currently studying chemistry and finding it too much like physics or a maths course. I'm thinking of either reapplying for chemistry at Manchester (though unlikely as I'm actually really hating labs), or going somewhere different like geology/geochemistry/environmental science. I know these aren't as traditional subjects as chemistry and I'm less sure about the job prospects or how respected the degree is? Any advice would be great thank you.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1010marina)
    I'm a 2016 fresher and since the beginning I have had doubts about my course and the uni itself... I am not really enjoying the course, finding it extremely difficult, haven't really made any decent friends, etc., and I'm just having a miserable time of it. I love living in London however..

I worked my BUTT off during a levels to get here and it feels like such a waste to throw away my time here, both of the opportunity and my own effort getting here (it has been my absolute dream for the past two years)... I mean, neither of these are great reasons to stay, but nevertheless, I'm still here. And the job prospects for my uni are really good, so I just feel like I'm throwing a lot away...

I am unsure if I will withdraw, probably will do if I fail my January exams... But if not who knows

Sorry for the long winded route to get here, but my question is

Is it possible to apply on UCAS for a university course while still at university, or do you need to withdraw first?
    The deadline is fast approaching and I haven't made my mind up yet - don't want to rush into a hasty decision either. (I'm specifically looking at Manchester uni, if that helps)

I've also heard it's possible to make informal applications after the UCAS deadline - is that true and if so, is it something Manchester partake in?

& While we're at it general advice: I'm currently studying chemistry and finding it too much like physics or a maths course. I'm thinking of either reapplying for chemistry at Manchester (though unlikely as I'm actually really hating labs), or going somewhere different like geology/geochemistry/environmental science. I know these aren't as traditional subjects as chemistry and I'm less sure about the job prospects or how respected the degree is? Any advice would be great thank you.
    Applying through UCAS is completely separate from any withdrawal process.

Ring Manchester this morning first thing to ask about whether they'll accept applications for transfer into year 2 (if you think you can finish the year and don't want to change course) or into year 1 after the January 15 deadline.

There's usually more flexibility for year 2 applications but it varies.

Most universities will expect you to have a reference from your current university so if Manchester are encouraging then approach someone at your current university for a reference ASAP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Applying through UCAS is completely separate from any withdrawal process.

Ring Manchester this morning first thing to ask about whether they'll accept applications for transfer into year 2 (if you think you can finish the year and don't want to change course) or into year 1 after the January 15 deadline.

There's usually more flexibility for year 2 applications but it varies.

Most universities will expect you to have a reference from your current university so if Manchester are encouraging then approach someone at your current university for a reference ASAP.
    Ok thank you --
    I am not really thinking of transferring onto Manchester's equivalent chemistry course as I don't think I will achieve a 2:1 this year, or pass for that matter... But thank you
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1010marina)
    Ok thank you --
    I am not really thinking of transferring onto Manchester's equivalent chemistry course as I don't think I will achieve a 2:1 this year, or pass for that matter... But thank you
    If you're not planning to transfer into Yr 2 then it's even more important to contact Manchester today to find out if they'll accept applications for year 1 entry after the deadline.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.