TSR George
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Is geaography gcse worth taking? Or should I take history?
Last edited by RK; 3 months ago
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did both at GCSE and I personally preferred Geography
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I enjoyed the variety in Geography, one minute you'd be learning about human populations and the next you'd be learning about the science of global warming and biodiversity. It was always very interesting and discussing hot-topics in class and debating was very fun. GCSE History was still good, but I felt that too much of it was just learning loads and loads of boring facts and then dumping it onto a piece of paper in a way that the examiner likes.
carolinehj
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I took both and I personally preferred history haha. I would say that history is definitely harder but is so much more interesting!
carolinehj
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
yeah a much bigger work load, the biggest work load of any of my gcses, definitely go with geography if you want an easier ride although I'm not saying geography was easy either! I absolutely loved history though and learnt an insane amount of stuff, which often crops up in conversation unlike the geography I learnt. But then if you didn't love history before, then you probably wont love it for gcse.
Chichaldo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Take history, written skills far superior and respected in comparison to GCSE colouring.
adz234
Badges: 7
Report 4 years ago
I don't do gcse history but I do do gcse geography but my exam board is not AQA, it's CCEA so course content may be different but similar to AQA geography. I done my controlled assessment last year and you only have to do one from a choice of six tasks which the teacher choose's for ccea's course, I think there are 3 tasks for physical geography then the other 3 are for human.

So, yes, I can't compare geography to history as I don't do it but what I can say is I throughly enjoy gcse geography, it does involve a lot of revision but what gcse doesn't, it's really interesting as I've been interested in geography since a young age. I will admit, I would say I prefer physical geography to human as I find it more interesting whereas I find human quite boring.

On the other hand, from what I've heard, history requires a lot of writing.

It's up to you but yes it is worth taking.
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Chichaldo)
Take history, written skills far superior and respected in comparison to GCSE colouring.
Lol? Seriously? I did both GCSE Geography and GCSE History and history is literally just learning facts and dumping it onto the exam paper in a boring, formulated response each time. I got an A in both GCSE Geography and History and I can say that Geography was far more mentally stimulating.
fairlyemily
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I took Geography at GCSE and found it by far my easiest. No long essay questions and well-made textbooks (CGP was fantastic). I'm now in my second year of it at A-level and although it's not my favourite, I still find it relatively easy, revision can take a formulaic approach and learning case studies is nice to make notes on.
My friends that did History either hated it or loved it but all found it hard I think, to me it seemed like Geography without the interesting bits about the present and future. :P.
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's a good question. I'd say at GCSE it all depends on what you are actually interested in.. if you hate learning loads of pointless facts and shoe-horning them into a answer, you won't like History and will find it a lot harder to revise for. If you find learning about days long gone that has barely any relevance to the 21st century, you'll also hate history. Geography has the same issue with shoe-horning facts into an answer, but you'll feel like the fact you're learning are relevant and interesting to the modern day. It's all about preference. I would say that History is harder in terms of writing essays and Geography is harder in terms of scientific concepts.
Callummmm-13768
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, easiest thing you will take
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Callummmm-13768)
Yes, easiest thing you will take
Callummmm-13768
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
AQA Geography
Atizz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I do geography and I really enjoy it but it's what suits you that really matters. If you enjoy the subject at the moment I would take it because I doesn't change to much.
S_Allison15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by carolinehj)
I took both and I personally preferred history haha. I would say that history is definitely harder but is so much more interesting!
I took both as a GCSE.
My school does:

EDEXCEL - History
AQA - Geography
username3024116
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
to be honest I regret picking geography
carolinehj
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just take geography, it's much easier lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.83%
Uncertainty around my education (84)
11.4%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
10.72%
Lack of purpose or motivation (94)
12.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.29%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (41)
5.56%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (79)
10.72%
Financial worries (50)
6.78%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.34%
Exposure to negative news/social media (45)
6.11%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.26%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (70)
9.5%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.73%

Watched Threads