Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is geaography gcse worth taking? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My school offers AQA Geography and although I'd like to take it, I don't know whether I should take history (edexcel) instead because of the controlled assessments geography has...

Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucreziag)
    My school offers AQA Geography and although I'd like to take it, I don't know whether I should take history (edexcel) instead because of the controlled assessments geography has...

Any ideas?
    I did both at GCSE and I personally preferred Geography

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshEntropy)
    I did both at GCSE and I personally preferred Geography
    Could I ask why?

ReputationRep:
    Could I ask why?
    I enjoyed the variety in Geography, one minute you'd be learning about human populations and the next you'd be learning about the science of global warming and biodiversity. It was always very interesting and discussing hot-topics in class and debating was very fun. GCSE History was still good, but I felt that too much of it was just learning loads and loads of boring facts and then dumping it onto a piece of paper in a way that the examiner likes.

ReputationRep:
    I took both and I personally preferred history haha. I would say that history is definitely harder but is so much more interesting!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carolinehj)
    I took both and I personally preferred history haha. I would say that history is definitely harder but is so much more interesting!
    Yeah I'd like to go with what's easier .. does history have a bigger work load? More to learn?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'd like to go with what's easier .. does history have a bigger work load? More to learn?
    yeah a much bigger work load, the biggest work load of any of my gcses, definitely go with geography if you want an easier ride although I'm not saying geography was easy either! I absolutely loved history though and learnt an insane amount of stuff, which often crops up in conversation unlike the geography I learnt. But then if you didn't love history before, then you probably wont love it for gcse.

ReputationRep:
    Take history, written skills far superior and respected in comparison to GCSE colouring.

I don't do gcse history but I do do gcse geography but my exam board is not AQA, it's CCEA so course content may be different but similar to AQA geography. I done my controlled assessment last year and you only have to do one from a choice of six tasks which the teacher choose's for ccea's course, I think there are 3 tasks for physical geography then the other 3 are for human.

So, yes, I can't compare geography to history as I don't do it but what I can say is I throughly enjoy gcse geography, it does involve a lot of revision but what gcse doesn't, it's really interesting as I've been interested in geography since a young age. I will admit, I would say I prefer physical geography to human as I find it more interesting whereas I find human quite boring.

On the other hand, from what I've heard, history requires a lot of writing.

It's up to you but yes it is worth taking.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Chichaldo)
      Take history, written skills far superior and respected in comparison to GCSE colouring.
      Lol? Seriously? I did both GCSE Geography and GCSE History and history is literally just learning facts and dumping it onto the exam paper in a boring, formulated response each time. I got an A in both GCSE Geography and History and I can say that Geography was far more mentally stimulating.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by AshEntropy)
      Lol? Seriously? I did both GCSE Geography and GCSE History and history is literally just learning facts and dumping it onto the exam paper in a boring, formulated response each time. I got an A in both GCSE Geography and History and I can say that Geography was far more mentally stimulating.

Which one was easiest/less work load/ less to learn in your opinion?

ReputationRep:
      I took Geography at GCSE and found it by far my easiest. No long essay questions and well-made textbooks (CGP was fantastic). I'm now in my second year of it at A-level and although it's not my favourite, I still find it relatively easy, revision can take a formulaic approach and learning case studies is nice to make notes on.
      My friends that did History either hated it or loved it but all found it hard I think, to me it seemed like Geography without the interesting bits about the present and future. :P.

ReputationRep:
      Which one was easiest/less work load/ less to learn in your opinion?
      That's a good question. I'd say at GCSE it all depends on what you are actually interested in.. if you hate learning loads of pointless facts and shoe-horning them into a answer, you won't like History and will find it a lot harder to revise for. If you find learning about days long gone that has barely any relevance to the 21st century, you'll also hate history. Geography has the same issue with shoe-horning facts into an answer, but you'll feel like the fact you're learning are relevant and interesting to the modern day. It's all about preference. I would say that History is harder in terms of writing essays and Geography is harder in terms of scientific concepts.

ReputationRep:
      Yes, easiest thing you will take

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Callummmm-13768)

ReputationRep:
      Which is the easiest sorry?

ReputationRep:
      Which is the easiest sorry?
      AQA Geography

ReputationRep:
      AQA Geography
      So you'd suggest I go for that? Why may I ask?

ReputationRep:
      Choosing my options this is what I've got so far- geography, Spanish, triple science, pe. Should i do hisory or business studies if I don't get into pe?? I'm crap at geography but I enjoy it and im great at history but hate it. Helpppp

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Lucy//)
      Choosing my options this is what I've got so far- geography, Spanish, triple science, pe. Should i do hisory or business studies if I don't get into pe?? I'm crap at geography but I enjoy it and im great at history but hate it. Helpppp
      Hey at my school they keep telling us "think about the grades as well as what you enjoy" because, at the end of the day, even if you really like something but are going to get a C in it whilst you could do something you don't really like and get an A in it, it's worth taking the one you'll do better at just to benefit yourself in the future when you apply to uni and to jobs. At the same time, if you don't like something you might not do great in the subject but this isn't always the case; for example I chose Spanish even though I find it so so so boring and still get top grades in it and even though I could've taken something I enjoyed more, I might not get as good a grade which is essentially what's important at the end of the day.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.