Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've recently dropped out of uni after realising that I was chasing the idea of money instead of what I actually ever enjoyed doing. Aside from worrying about debt over this next year I'd like to start studying the A-levels I never got in the first place. As I am nearly 20 there is no funding in place for me to study at a college so I'm thinking of teaching myself around part time work. I would ideally like to study Biology, Physics and Maths.

Is this practical? Where would I find resources?

Input from people who have been in a similar situation would be greatly appreciated and if any additional clarification is needed just ask. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I have been home-educated all my life (for GCSEs/IGCSEs; in my first year of A levels) so should know most of the ins and outs.

We get tutors for different subjects, once every fortnight, tops. You may not wish to be spending money on private tutoring (though I'd advise it for exam technique and marking papers), in which case you'd have to study the mark schemes and download practice papers yourself.

There are lots of online resources; I'm sure you could find a free online study course somewhere that might help, and YouTube usually has a lot of educational videos to GCSE/A level standard. University dissertations, scientific reports, etc. are usually available somewhere if you want to push your study that bit higher, and teaching resources abound. There's lots of websites dedicated to particular subjects - I can't remember any specific ones atm but I've been on quite a few. You'd probably need the coursebooks; there are student websites that sell secondhand coursebooks for (I assume) a lower price.

The main thing is you've got to be so pro-active with your education compared to school students. You'd have to literally teach yourself using the coursebook. Another possibility would be if you knew anyone who would be able and willing to give you some help, which would be useful if you didn't want to get tutors in.

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    That's helped ease things in my mind a little, thanks for replying.

ReputationRep:
    Use CGP books for maths. And do Edexcel if you can it will give you a best starting point for Maths if you are good at A level I think university is not much more of a jump.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.