Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone.

I'm struggling with this question.

I can calculate reactions fine but there is an upward force in the middle and I just can't get my head around it.

I'm not asking for the answers just how to calculate it.

Question,
    A beam AB is supported at the locations shown. Masses of 12, 8 and 6 tonnes are placed on the beam at the positions shown. If the length of the beam is 6 metre, find the reactions at the supports.

Diagram attached

Thanks in advance
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx reactions question.docx (11.4 KB, 26 views)

ReputationRep:
    Take moments about A, paying close attention to the sign of the moment. Don't forget that reactions can be negative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EwanWest)
    Take moments about A, paying close attention to the sign of the moment. Don't forget that reactions can be negative
    I'm still not getting my head around it sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by duckydarren00)
    I'm still not getting my head around it sorry
    What equations have you got so far?

You need to resolve forces vertically and then, as said above, take moments about one of the supports,

ReputationRep:
    The moment caused by the upwards force in the middle will be the opposite sign to the ones caused by downwards force. Then take moments about A, with anti-clockwise being positive. The equation should take the following form
    0 = |Moment caused by reaction at B| + |Moment caused by upward force| - |Moments caused by weights|

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.