Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    "Solve the equation 2*z = |z| + 2*i , for any complex number z "

My working out thus far consists of writing out z in terms of its imaginary/real parts(A + B*i) and |z| as sqrt(A^2 + B^2) and then equating the real and imaginary parts of both sides. Although, I think this is the entirely wrong direction anyway.

Any help would be appreciated .
    • Study Helper

(Original post by Mr.bob)

My working out thus far consists of writing out z in terms of its imaginary/real parts(A + B*i) and |z| as sqrt(A^2 + B^2) and then equating the real and imaginary parts of both sides. Although, I think this is the entirely wrong direction anyway.

Equating imaginary parts is sufficient to get you B, since |z| is real.

What have you got, thus far?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    Equating imaginary parts is sufficient to get you B, since |z| is real.

What have you got, thus far?
    yeah i found B to be 1, then substituted this into the expression "2*A = sqrt(A*2 + B*2)" to find A(which i found to be sqrt(1/3)).
    The problem is i dont really understand what the question is looking for :dontknow:
    • Study Helper

yeah i found B to be 1, then substituted this into the expression "2*A = sqrt(A*2 + B*2)" to find A(which i found to be sqrt(1/3)).
    The problem is i dont really understand what the question is looking for :dontknow:
    You're looking for the value of z, and since you have z=A+iB, and you know what A,B are, ...

ReputationRep:
    You're looking for the value of z, and since you have z=A+iB, and you know what A,B are, ...
    so Z = +/-sqrt(1/3) + i
    This is what i had for my answer but im just uncertain how this satisfies what the question was asking
    • Study Helper

so Z = +/-sqrt(1/3) + i
    This is what i had for my answer but im just uncertain how this satisfies what the question was asking
    You initially said A=sqrt(1/3), but now you've put +/- that.

I presume that at one point in your working you squared an equation. This can introduce additional solutuions that don't satisfy the original equation. So, you need to check each solution to make sure it does.

The original question is poorly worded, IMO. If it had just said "solve the equation ..." and left it at that, it would have made more sense.

ReputationRep:
    You initially said A=sqrt(1/3), but now you've put +/- that.

I presume that at one point in your working you squared an equation. This can introduce additional solutuions that don't satisfy the original equation. So, you need to check each solution to make sure it does.

The original question is poorly worded, IMO. If it had just said "solve the equation ..." and left it at that, it would have made more sense.
    i know such as stupidly phrased question..cheers for the help though!

ReputationRep:

One approach is to note that 2z=|z| +2i \Rightarrow |z| = 2(z-i) so that 2(z-i) is a real number since it is equal to |z|, which is a real number.

Edit: easier: note that z=\frac{|z|}{2}+i allows you to write down a quadratic equation for |z|, which then immediately gives you the solutions for z

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atsruser)
    One approach is to note that 2z=|z| +2i \Rightarrow |z| = 2(z-i) so that 2(z-i) is a real number since it is equal to |z|, which is a real number.

Edit: easier: note that z=\frac{|z|}{2}+i allows you to write down a quadratic equation for |z|, which then immediately gives you the solutions for z
    yeah, the approach i used results in the same imaginary part being found as this method(that being equal to 1). What about the real part though?

ReputationRep:
    yeah, the approach i used results in the same imaginary part being found as this method(that being equal to 1). What about the real part though?
    Since z=\frac{|z|}{2}+i} then the real part is |z|/2. So, find |z|, and you're done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atsruser)
    Since z=\frac{|z|}{2}+i} then the real part is |z|/2. So, find |z|, and you're done.
    but how do i find |z|

ReputationRep:
    but how do i find |z|
    You know that z=\frac{|z|}{2}+i} but since |z| is real, z is already in the form a+ib

So we have z=\frac{|z|}{2}+i = a+ib with a=\frac{|z|}{2}, b=1

Now write down |z| in terms of a and b, and hence in terms of what they equal. You will then have an equation in |z| to solve.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.