Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

RAF: Weapons Systems officer? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok before any of you say, ive done a search and googled it and cant find an answer

Are the eyesight requirements for a navigator the same as pilots? I know that in the second world war this was the case, but is that still relevant today?

Cheers for the answers
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Why not ask the RAF?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Why not ask the RAF?
    What a ridiculous suggestion

You should should just give your local recruitment office (number will be in the yellow pages) a call and they will be more than happy to answer you're questions and you dont need to give them your name or anything so they want shout at you if you ask any stupid questions
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    They're not the same. And google harder and you'll find exactly what they are....!

ReputationRep:
    Your're killing me

Ive tried numerous search terms, tried searching with navigator in there...nothing. The closest i can get is finding the requirements for a wso...but in the RSAF, the royal singapore air force :rolleyes:

Care to spill the beans?

ReputationRep:
    bump
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    *sigh* WSOs need 6/24 uncorrected correctable to 6/6 without going over some power limit I temporarily forget.

ReputationRep:
    Wasnt too hard was it

Where you get your info from...is it on a site anywhere?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by towny)
    Ok before any of you say, ive done a search and googled it and cant find an answer

Are the eyesight requirements for a navigator the same as pilots? I know that in the second world war this was the case, but is that still relevant today?

Cheers for the answers
    Oh! This is my brothers trade. And he wears glasses.

Does that help

ReputationRep:
    Heya,

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but got a question regarding WSO.

I'm currently filling out my application form for the RAF; hoping to get a university bursary, and enter after university as an officer pilot. However, as many of you probably know, there is a 1st choice and 2nd preference to be made. Is it, as I think, better to make your second choice one that requires a generally lower aptitude test result, on average? So, it's almost like the insurance option you put on a UCAS university entry form?

Ideally, if I was to fail pilot, I'd like WSO - despite declining numbers of recruited WSO's. However, are the scores required practically the same? I guess I just assumed they are, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for any advice,

andy.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by towny)
    Wasnt too hard was it

Where you get your info from...is it on a site anywhere?

Thanks
    No, it's remembered from when I worked in recruiting, and therefore is potentially massively out of date or incorrect. Beware.

ReputationRep:
    just go to WWW.RAF.MOD.UK and go to carrees and find out where your nearest centre is and bobs your uncle problem souved, im in the RAF myself, im an aironortical engineer and its a breese to get in dont worry!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by convict9535)
    just go to WWW.RAF.MOD.UK and go to carrees and find out where your nearest centre is and bobs your uncle problem souved, im in the RAF myself, im an aironortical engineer and its a breese to get in dont worry!!!
    Same kind of spelling mistakes as Flyer 2K - what a surprise!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nikki J S)
    Same kind of spelling mistakes as Flyer 2K - what a surprise!!!
    lol i see what you mean in that other thread, how is he going for an interview to get in and in at the same time?

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps someone with Aeronautical Engineering knowledge/experience could ask him some technical questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by convict9535)

I'm surprised you're unable to spell your own job title!!!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    We don't recruit "aeronautical engineers."

On the officer side, you can work in aerosystems or communications & electronics; AS or CE. Airmen are split into different trades such as airframes, propulsion, avionics etc.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.