Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AS Level Results lower than preliminary exam results Watch

ReputationRep:
    I just got my AS results back. Needless to say I was both disappointed and upset. My preliminary results for business and GP was supposed to be an A, but I got a B borderline A for business and a low B for GP. My Chinese A Level result plummeted from an A* to a B. I am confused, students who usually under perform in business studies and GP in my grade suddenly got high As whereas those who usually perform well just suddenly dropped. No, we did not get arrogant and stop studying, we studied even harder for these exams. Are there anyone else facing the same problem or did my marks plummet because of myself? I've never gotten such grades in my 2 years of studying A-Level.

P.S.: Most of my teachers think I can score higher on the said subjects. Should I re-check or retake them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruriin)
    I just got my AS results back. Needless to say I was both disappointed and upset. My preliminary results for business and GP was supposed to be an A, but I got a B borderline A for business and a low B for GP. My Chinese A Level result plummeted from an A* to a B. I am confused, students who usually under perform in business studies and GP in my grade suddenly got high As whereas those who usually perform well just suddenly dropped. No, we did not get arrogant and stop studying, we studied even harder for these exams. Are there anyone else facing the same problem or did my marks plummet because of myself? I've never gotten such grades in my 2 years of studying A-Level.

P.S.: Most of my teachers think I can score higher on the said subjects. Should I re-check or retake them?
    I would say first send them off to a remark (after my best friend scored D in English and had it remarked to an A I don't trust these things lol) and if the result doesn't please you, probably retake if these are modular courses? Just a suggestion good luck, hope it works out for you in the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnaRainbows)
    I would say first send them off to a remark (after my best friend scored D in English and had it remarked to an A I don't trust these things lol) and if the result doesn't please you, probably retake if these are modular courses? Just a suggestion good luck, hope it works out for you in the end.
    Wow, that's a really big jump. Have you encountered any instances where someone's scores were deducted when they were sent for a re-check? This is my first time doing so and I am quite worried. A friend of mine got a D in English A-Level as well, and she sent it for a re-check. She only got comments from the marking scheme. No comments on why she got a D, her grade did not even change. The weird thing is, when my school made the preliminary examination for her, they modeled it after past year papers and she was 4 marks short from getting full marks. I'm really worried that it may happen to me too.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that's a really big jump. Have you encountered any instances where someone's scores were deducted when they were sent for a re-check? This is my first time doing so and I am quite worried. A friend of mine got a D in English A-Level as well, and she sent it for a re-check. She only got comments from the marking scheme. No comments on why she got a D, her grade did not even change. The weird thing is, when my school made the preliminary examination for her, they modeled it after past year papers and she was 4 marks short from getting full marks. I'm really worried that it may happen to me too.
    Well, you never know until you actually do send it off. I personally have never sent my exams off to get them remarked (my college only gave me my results after the remarking deadline passed lol).

But then again it's your choice, I mean, if you really think you've done better than what's said on paper, you won't lose anything from it. It seems like these exams you've done were somewhat school-based? So perhaps you could speak with your teachers about it, they'll surely know better than what I can assume

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnaRainbows)
    Well, you never know until you actually do send it off. I personally have never sent my exams off to get them remarked (my college only gave me my results after the remarking deadline passed lol).

But then again it's your choice, I mean, if you really think you've done better than what's said on paper, you won't lose anything from it. It seems like these exams you've done were somewhat school-based? So perhaps you could speak with your teachers about it, they'll surely know better than what I can assume
    My school takes questions from A-Level exercise textbooks, international olympiads, past year papers, specimen papers (they occasionally change the wordings or points for these PYPs). I think that my school exams are really Cambridge exam styled. I'm gonna try having them re-checked. Here's to hoping that my grades will improve, although I have lost a huge chunk of my confidence already lol.

ReputationRep:
    My school takes questions from A-Level exercise textbooks, international olympiads, past year papers, specimen papers (they occasionally change the wordings or points for these PYPs). I think that my school exams are really Cambridge exam styled. I'm gonna try having them re-checked. Here's to hoping that my grades will improve, although I have lost a huge chunk of my confidence already lol.
    This is one of those things where you have to face head-on.

However, you've achieved well, maybe not the best in your class but definitely better than a lot of people would've done in your place. I understand where the frustration comes from, you've set high goals for yourself and that's absolutely fine. Now the only thing you can do to progress from this is to get some answers and start a plan on how to improve even further. You're doing great, and I see no reason why you shouldn't feel confident. Give yourself some credit!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.