Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What if university says I have to self-teach myself modules? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I took some time away from university for medical reasons. Now I am returning, the university says there are no classes for my core modules and I will have to self-study. This is not even distance study but literally teaching myself the modules.
    Is this allowed? If so, why am I paying tuition fees?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherieF)
    I took some time away from university for medical reasons. Now I am returning, the university says there are no classes for my core modules and I will have to self-study. This is not even distance study but literally teaching myself the modules.
    Is this allowed? If so, why am I paying tuition fees?
    They should still be able to provide you with the course materials, access to any core texts in the library and assistance on request from the module leader. Have you spoken to other students who have completed the course to ask if they can provide you with lecture notes? Are the lecture slides or recordings available to you?

It might be worth speaking to your student rep/student union about the situation but they aren't likely to put on lectures for a single student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    They should still be able to provide you with the course materials, access to any core texts in the library and assistance on request from the module leader. Have you spoken to other students who have completed the course to ask if they can provide you with lecture notes? Are the lecture slides or recordings available to you?

It might be worth speaking to your student rep/student union about the situation but they aren't likely to put on lectures for a single student.
    Hey thanks for your response. I was wondering if having access to core texts, recorded lectures and materials etc would be classed as a distance learning course, and if it's likely my university would change my tuition fees to distance learning.

I feel it would be strange if I was paying for tutorial classes but not receiving any. I guess I'll just have to find out what is classed as distance learning.

But yes, I'll definitely speak to the student union as you suggested. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherieF)
    Hey thanks for your response. I was wondering if having access to core texts, recorded lectures and materials etc would be classed as a distance learning course, and if it's likely my university would change my tuition fees to distance learning.

I feel it would be strange if I was paying for tutorial classes but not receiving any. I guess I'll just have to find out what is classed as distance learning.

But yes, I'll definitely speak to the student union as you suggested. Thanks
    Be aware that if you formally switch to "distance learning" status, you will no longer be eligible for a Maintenance Loan. It's a major decision.

If your uni teaches in "fat modules" as mine does, then each module will only be run once a year, either in the first or second term. If you missed the ones in the first term, then they won't run again until winter term 2017, which is why you now need to self-teach in order to catch up. It may be worth looking into abandoning this year and asking the uni if you can to effectively retake from next September so that you can get a full year's teaching.

ReputationRep:
    From what I can tell that's pretty much what most students end up doing anyway, even if they have classes. As long as they've offered you some kind of office hours I don't think there's anything you can do.

You pay tuition fees for the university to set a syllabus that they think is of interest and then verify your knowledge of that syllabus, you don't pay for the teaching.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.