Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing BTEC ICT and I'm using my friend's assignment to get more information. I basically reworded what he typed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dvaxter989)
    I'm currently doing BTEC ICT and I'm using my friend's assignment to get more information. I basically re-worded what he typed. For example, he typed

" ".

and I typed " ..."

I know my one sounds a bit awkward but would this count as plagiarism? I also re-word a lot of stuff on the internet.
    Please don't post coursework on here. You need to reference any sources you have used - check with your teacher how to do this.

ReputationRep:
    No, it's not. Having the same concept and idea doesn't mean plagiarisng.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    Please don't post coursework on here. You need to reference any sources you have used - check with your teacher how to do this.
    I thought you only needed sources if you had directly copied it from a website word for word. It sounds similar but these are still my own words.

ReputationRep:
    I thought you only needed sources if you had directly copied it from a website word for word. It sounds similar but it still my own words.
    There is a difference between references and bibliography; talk to your teacher and remove the quotes - I'll take them out of mine.

ReputationRep:
    I thought you only needed sources if you had directly copied it from a website word for word. It sounds similar but it still my own words.
    Directly copying from anywhere is plagiarism and references do not somehow change that (except for the use of minor quotations that are generally used to illustrate a point).

You use references to show where you got an idea or concept from and you then describe that concept in your own words. You should not blindly copy the words of the originating author.

ReputationRep:
    No, it is not plagiarism. Plagiarism is when you copy without giving credit to the original and thus try to pass the work off as you own. You have not copied. Reading information online and then interpreting it in your own words is how online research works. As they say, once you've read the dictionary, everything else is just a remix.

That said what you are doing is not clever. You cannot add sources because it is your friends work. If someone asks you how you found this out you'd have no legitimate answer. Might not be an issue for you now but it will be later. By posting both your own and someone else's work online you opened both of you up to plagiarism checkers. Software will trawl the web, looking for text that is the same as yours. It could look like you just copied from TSR. The software isn't smart enough to realise you posted it yourself. It's unlikely to cause a problem but don't put coursework, personal statements and so on online. Thirdly how do you know your friend is even correct? For example, it's a small thing but the application is called Activity Monitor. Not Mac Activity Monitor. Since you've both made the same mistake, a teacher would be dubious about whether the work was entirely your own. When you copy more serious mistakes you end up losing marks and looking like you copied.

So just do your own work, without help from other people.
    • Very Important Poster

I'm currently doing BTEC ICT and I'm using my friend's assignment to get more information. I basically re-worded what he typed. I also re-word a lot of stuff on the internet.
    Imo it would, because all you are doing is by your own admission is shuffling around the words, but it is still his work/ intellectual effort and you are failing to acknowledge it. If it wasnt important, then why are you using it?
    If you want to use it as a source then reference it, but as it is you are largely just copying his essay. The more you copy like this the greater tendency it will be to count it as plagiarism. Someone would have to read the whole essay to see what you have done and assess how likely you are to be caught.

Name:  plagiarism definition.PNG
Views: 79
Size:  8.0 KB

I would just add if a person were ever caught for doing this, then the person who lent them their work woyld also be in trouble and liable to sanction. The checks are much less rigorous at BTEC than they would be for undergraduate level, so the risk is small. In the example you gave then you would fall foul of the rules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Imo it would, because all you are doing is by your own admission is shuffling around the words, but it is still his work/ intellectual effort and you are failing to acknowledge it. If it wasnt important, then why are you using it?
    If you want to use it as a source then reference it, but as it is you are largely just copying his essay. The more you copy like this the greater tendency it will be to count it as plagiarism. Someone would have to read the whole essay to see what you have done and assess how likely you are to be caught.

Name:  plagiarism definition.PNG
Views: 79
Size:  8.0 KB
    Hi 999tiger, would it be possible if you could delete your post? It isn't personal.Or alternatively, can you get rid of the quote where I stated mine and my friend's work and seeing that I was a massive idiot for posting this and not realising the consequences, I deleted mine and my his paragraph on my original post but that paragraph seems to be wide open here in your comment. Also, I haven't actually submitted the assignment so I still have time to change it and will definitely take your criticism on board. My intention for posting this was not out of animosity towards my peers (obviously) but rather to be informed about plagiarism and ironically, the idiot that I am, thought it would be a good idea to post my own coursework online where everyone could copy while failing to fathom the issue of examiners/moderators using plagiarism checker. For this reason, you would be doing me a huge favour if you delete the quote or your entire post. Like I said, it is nothing personal and I apologise for this inconvenience.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    No, it is not plagiarism. Plagiarism is when you copy without giving credit to the original and thus try to pass the work off as you own. You have not copied. Reading information online and then interpreting it in your own words is how online research works. As they say, once you've read the dictionary, everything else is just a remix.

That said what you are doing is not clever. You cannot add sources because it is your friends work. If someone asks you how you found this out you'd have no legitimate answer. Might not be an issue for you now but it will be later. By posting both your own and someone else's work online you opened both of you up to plagiarism checkers. Software will trawl the web, looking for text that is the same as yours. It could look like you just copied from TSR. The software isn't smart enough to realise you posted it yourself. It's unlikely to cause a problem but don't put coursework, personal statements and so on online. Thirdly how do you know your friend is even correct? For example, it's a small thing but the application is called Activity Monitor. Not Mac Activity Monitor. Since you've both made the same mistake, a teacher would be dubious about whether the work was entirely your own. When you copy more serious mistakes you end up losing marks and looking like you copied.

So just do your own work, without help from other people.

thank you for your correction, I've made sure that I deleted mine and his work on my original post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    Thank you for letting my know

ReputationRep:
    I recommend that, instead of copying ideas straight from your friend's work, you ask for the sources where he got the ideas, and then use those and attribute them accordingly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.