Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Compatibilty Important in a Relationship? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What do you think? :holmes:

and how compatible?

personally i think yes and no?

why, because you've got to have some similar interests right?

and no because, if you agreed on everything and were perfectly compaitible- would you not get bored quickly, for example if you agreed on everything, there wouldn't be much conversation right?

I mean you've got to have some disagreements , different tastes, style, likes, dislikes ect.....no?

whats say? :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    obviously yes.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it is. You don't have to agree with everything your partner says/does, but you need to be on the same wave length for it to work.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by CleverSquirrel)
    What do you think? :holmes:

and how compatible?

personally i think yes and no?

why, because you've got to have some similar interests right?

and no because, if you agreed on everything and were perfectly compaitible- would you not get bored quickly, if you agreed on everything, there wouldn't be much conversation right?

I mean you've got to have some disagreements ect.....no?

whats say? :hmmm:
    The answer is obviously yes.

Compatibiliy doesnt mean you have to agree on everything.
    Incompatibility doesnt have to be the source of conversation.
    • Political Ambassador

I think that if you look for just one person to meet all your needs, you’re setting yourself up for disaster. There's no person you can be compatible with in every aspect.

Shared beliefs and interests can be valuable to achieving relationship compatibility, but separate ones are also to be expected. Couples should encourage each other to evolve and to engage in each other's interests.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Of course. It's the most important thing in my opinion.

Just because you have disagreements, doesn't mean you aren't compatible.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is very important if you want a lasting relationship.

ReputationRep:
    Yes
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Being compatible doesn't just mean you have a lot in common. Sometimes even polar opposite couples can still work. I think compatibility goes a lot deeper than what you have in common on the surface, I think it's more about you what you both feel, what you both want in life and what you are both willing to do to be together that makes you compatible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't think of anything better than being with someone with whom I agree on everything. Sounds like a nice harmonious relationship, I'm not looking for a partner to havedebates with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    I couldn't think of anything better than being with someone with whom I agree on everything. Sounds like a nice harmonious relationship, I'm not looking for a partner to havedebates with.
    only in your dreams :lol: surely it'll get annoying after a while?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    Yes. Being compatible doesn't just mean you have a lot in common. Sometimes even polar opposite couples can still work. I think compatibility goes a lot deeper than what you have in common on the surface, I think it's more about you what you both feel, what you both want in life and what you are both willing to do to be together that makes you compatible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    that was very well said :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Sounds like the perfect fairytale. Having a disagreement with someone doesn't necessarily lead to a debate. It's very unlikely to find another human being that has the exact same views as you do.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Personality traits and general philosophical beliefs are far more important than individual interests. I don't need need a girl to debate the merits of Thatcherism with but i do need one who is not a rabid feminazi and who i consider a worthy mother of my future children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phunky_fresh)
    Sounds like the perfect fairytale. Having a disagreement with someone doesn't necessarily lead to a debate. It's very unlikely to find another human being that has the exact same views as you do.
    Indeed, but OP said it'd get boring without disagreements and I was in a roundabout way pointing out that disagreement and debate aren't the same thing, I don't need debate from a partner to keep our conversations interesting, and also would love a life without any disagreement with my partner. Not that such a thing would ever be possible, we're only human after all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CleverSquirrel)
    only in your dreams :lol: surely it'll get annoying after a while?
    If it did get annoying then we'd have something to disagree over, so it'd all work out in the end anyhow
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yes as I'd like to think that's why I'd like them. You need to be compatible and have similar views. Having said that, I was dating someone for several years and we didn't have that many interests but then we've now split up so what does that say lol
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I have been on a date with someone where we had one interest in common. It was so boring. There was nothing to talk about really. I really could not imagine a relationship with him when there's nothing to really talk about.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 10, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.