Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Swiss win EU case - Muslim girls must swim with boys Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joe cooley)
    You did?

Ok, i'll take your word for it.

Well, i referred to SJW because they're the first to defend the backward cult of Islam and are prepared to jettison beliefs they claim to hold oh so dear.

Women's and gay rights are trumped by Islam in SJW world, just think gender segregated Labour party rally.

Pandering to Islam is a foolish,dangerous game, look at the results of such pandering in Rotherham.
    I still do.

It's not do with Islam. It's about religious freedom more generally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nutz99)
    I said nothing of the sort! Have you just had a mindf**k or something. The point I was making was that in most schools in most years there will be kids who are excused from swimming so it will be necessary to provide supervision for them. What has that got to do with religious privilege?
    It is the reason for allowing exception, not that the exception exist.

The fact that some pupils are allowed to miss swimming because they have a physical disability does not mean that others can miss it because they don't like getting their hair wet, even if a supervised alternative class is already provided because of the pupils with disability.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Len Goodman)
    Good. If they don't like it they can go back home. The Western world should have zero tolerance for barbaric Islamic practices.
    I can't help but wonder if len would agree with all the stuff you come out with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedManc)
    If they don't want to follow Swiss laws why don't they leave.
    All the free stuff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joe cooley)
    All the free stuff?
    They should get deported

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charzhino)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38569428

To sum it up the European Court of Human Rights have backed up Swirzerland in a case where Muslim parents refused to send their young daughters to swimmimg classes which were mixed with other boys due to religious sentiments. The parents where fined, took the case to law and have now lost again.

Is this a straight forward ruling or is there a debate to be had whether the parents freedom of religious beliefs were impinged on and essentially told they were being bad parents?
    Everyone repeat after me: the ECHR and the EU are two seperate entities. The ECHR predates the EU and was established by a UN resolution and spearheaded by Churchill, its influence was compounded by Blair's human rights act that meant all U.K. law has to abide by the ECHR, we'll still be in the ECHR after Brexit.

OP's an idiot with his clickbait titles...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charzhino)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38569428

To sum it up the European Court of Human Rights have backed up Swirzerland in a case where Muslim parents refused to send their young daughters to swimmimg classes which were mixed with other boys due to religious sentiments. The parents where fined, took the case to law and have now lost again.

Is this a straight forward ruling or is there a debate to be had whether the parents freedom of religious beliefs were impinged on and essentially told they were being bad parents?
    On this occasion, I agree with the way the court has ruled. It's part of school curriculum and is one of many important ways in which will help them integrate into Swiss society.

While in an ideal world the parents might have preferred to have non-mixed swimming lessons, as is 'the norm' in many Western countries, both male and females are taught together. I feel that while, of course, it's important to respect their personal beliefs, they should also accept the cultures and traditions of Switzerland.

It is natural to have beliefs and/or traditions which have been picked up from your country of origin, but if you choose to move to another country which has different beliefs and traditions, you should do your best to respect these. If I felt that I couldn't meet them then I may look at another country which might be better suited.

I really believe that in most cases 'immigration' isn't the problem, 'integration' is and their should be a greater focus on how to improve integration of immigrants. This is to try to ensure that the native population and immigrant population can get along well together and mix freely with each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I can't help but wonder if len would agree with all the stuff you come out with.
    Len's definitely sound as a pound.

A UKIP voter, no doubt about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainbowMan)
    I don't know who these people were. You assume they are not integrated and that they're not Swiss. The link mentioned Swiss nationals of Turkish origin, nothing else.
    They are unlikely to be Swiss. I have distant relatives who spent their entire childhoods in Switzerland who had to pass a stringent test before they became Swiss. It is very hard for immigrants to become naturalised.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_nationality_law

ReputationRep:
    Switzerland proves once again, it's the only sane country left in Europe. keep up the good work by not bowing down to a religious minority and letting it have some sort of special treatment it demands everywhere.

If the family don't like it, they can leave Switzerland - simple.

ReputationRep:
    I think the ruling is fair.

Swimming is a lesson for life and in some cases can save your life yet the parents are more concerned about other boys seeing them.

Imo that is very short sighted. Like what can the boys even think about doing when there will be supervisors and quite frankly, everyone is more concerned about managing to swim that first length.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Moon Man)
    Good, it's them who have to follow our rules, not the the other way round.
    That ****ing us and them mentality that wrecked Europe for centuries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oShahpo)
    That ****ing us and them mentality that wrecked Europe for centuries.
    Muslims are turning this into a us and them by refusing to assimilate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Moon Man)
    Muslims are turning this into a us and them by refusing to assimilate
    Yea it's true that a lot of Muslims also have this mentality, I am not blaming just one side. But it's just that when you say "they" taints the whole group with the actions of the isolationists, making you no better than them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainbowMan)
    Can you please be even mildly coherent and answer my question?

If you force people to participate in an event they think is wrong to participate, it is YOU who's forcing your views on them.

If they do not participate in that event, they are not forcing their religious beliefs on anyone.
    The children have a right to attend education, which includes swimming classes. The state enforces people's rights, so it fines parents who interfere. This is right and by the book.

The fact that children also may not wish to attend has no relevance, because as the liberal Mill said, the state can't force citizens to do what is best for them, except for underage citizens and "underage", uncivilised, barbaric races. In this case, we have both, since not only are they dealing with minors, but also bigoted and ignorant parents (but here I'm being purposely provocative, I don't share ideas that refer to "races", Mill was a great man of his times, in the same way as remarkable Latin authors agreed on slavery).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    Everyone repeat after me: the ECHR and the EU are two seperate entities. The ECHR predates the EU and was established by a UN resolution and spearheaded by Churchill, its influence was compounded by Blair's human rights act that meant all U.K. law has to abide by the ECHR, we'll still be in the ECHR after Brexit.

OP's an idiot with his clickbait titles...
    It was a mistake, I cant change the title now. And even so how is it clickbait? Because whether its the EU or the ECHR, thats not the main point of the thread.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am just going to interject here and state my opinion as a female Muslim living in Scotland.
    I haven't read everything but i got the gist of what the conversation is about. My opinion on the matter is that I do feel that it is unnecessary for the parents to remove their pre-pubescent daughters from a co gender swimming lesson. As some people have stated, it honestly doesn't matter if they swim with the opposite gender at a pre-pubescent age due to that nothing concerning would happen at that age. I feel that the parent's are wrong in this case. If they are concerned about their daughter showing skin then can their daughters not just wear a wetsuit? I would understand the parent's if it was in an Islamic country and if their daughter was of pubescent age, however it is unnecessary in a liberal, western society.

I do feel that Muslims are not integrating with the western society as we should be, in my opinion. Though in Scotland, the majority of Muslims are integrated well within the rest of society. I do feel as Muslims we do need to work on our integration in the West and that is something that we are trying to promote to Muslims as many Mosques, in Scotland, are trying to stop Muslims from secluding themselves from the rest of society. This is something that we are trying to fix within the Muslim community so do not think that we do not want to integrate, we are trying!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usualsuspects)
    The children have a right to attend education, which includes swimming classes. The state enforces people's rights, so it fines parents who interfere. This is right and by the book.

The fact that children also may not wish to attend has no relevance, because as the liberal Mill said, the state can't force citizens to do what is best for them, except for underage citizens and "underage", uncivilised, barbaric races. In this case, we have both, since not only are they dealing with minors, but also bigoted and ignorant parents (but here I'm being purposely provocative, I don't share ideas that refer to "races", Mill was a great man of his times, in the same way as remarkable Latin authors agreed on slavery).
    You have a right to remain silent, does this mean you must remain silent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Len Goodman)
    Good. If they don't like it they can go back home. The Western world should have zero tolerance for barbaric Islamic practices.
    Kass there's nothing barbaric about not swimming with boys.

ReputationRep:
    Muslims are just not integrating, I honestly dont know why theyre making such a big issue and becoming an inconvenience to society. Yes, theyre entitled to freedom of religion but this doesnt constitute to freedom of religion.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.