Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Swiss win EU case - Muslim girls must swim with boys Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Care to explain with words or is it too difficult for you?

(Also try to avoid using insults).
    You're also comparing me insulting a person vs him insulting Muslims as a whole

lol I can't stop laughing rn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zezno)
    So you're blaming me for insulting someone who is insulting a particular group of people. Lol just think about that.
    Exactly. You can't criticise others for doing something that you also do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Exactly. You can't criticise others for doing something that you also do.
    So when did I insult a whole religion? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zezno)
    So when did I insult a whole religion? Thanks
    I give up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I am the storm)
    I suggest you try reading my posts properly. I have not once mentioned islamophobia here. What exactly are you reading?

He never mentioned it was aimed at 'those taking the literally all the through', whatever that means. You're putting words into his mouth.

I suggest you get back and let the boy defend himself. Are you his mum? I'm sure he can handle the pressure and you're not doing him any favors at this moment by making up things.

The fact my posts are getting reporting is just counting as proof against him. He's desperate to hide his real face right now. So much for freedom of speech!
    The final sentence was also referring to the other user I quoted.

No, I'm not. The 'some Muslims' part gives it away. I'm referring to this particular quote and not generally.

Am, considering YOU quoted me first, it's funny you should say that.

No it isn't. He has a right to report your posts. Freedom of speech is convenient I suppose when it serves your purpose, but not when it is being used against you. So much for the right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    I give up.
    Don't even know why you commented, some flawed logic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zezno)
    Don't even know why you commented, some flawed logic
    Yeah, my "flawed logic".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    You must have a very sheltered life. I've encountered many people that were much ruder than this.
    You expect it from the people whose lives are so bad they have nothing to gain from acting civilised and mature, you don't expect it on a student forum.

ReputationRep:
    Its a simple answer. If the muslim girls do not want to be in mixed sex swimming classes why should they be forced to? It isn't a "special religion privilege" as there are even non religious arguments meaning even non religious parents may want their children in same sex classes. But I guess their is both sides to the argument both very strong

ReputationRep:
    If you want to make a point to him then put it directly in your reply to him. There is no reason whatsoever to refer it to me.
    Only there is. It was a generalised point, notwithstanding that I just repeated his usage of the word.

You're not reading properly again. He never said 'some Muslims'.
    He said 'many Muslims', not ALL Muslims. Me paraphrasing it doesn't change anything.

I quoted the conservation from start to where I left off. Naturally that meant including you. You've already made your 'extreme perceptions' excuse. Now let Plantagenet to defend himself.
    No. I'm sure if he wishes to reply, whatever I'm saying won't stop him.

That's a rather pitiful defense of his attempts to curb criticism of his actions.
    You're not criticising him here. You're insulting him. You haven't given any basis as to whatever you're saying other than 'he has insulted Muslims'.

Can you show me an example which proves I only use freedom of speech when it serves my purpose? It's good and dandy that you can put accusations out there but can you prove those accusations?
    You mocked him for criticising Muslims - focusing on just that without any underlying explanation. Essentially you're trying to humiliate him so he can stop talking.

Easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charzhino)
    To me its very similar to the burkini ban fiasco we had a few months ago in France. I can see both sides but im not sure which one is the better option.
    I think that although it could be considered an infringement on religious freedom, it is a straightforward ruling and it's good to see a European nation sticking to their constitution and values rather than bending the rules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tammie123)
    I wish I could rep you more. I couldn't agree more, and not just any religion, as soon as islam is mentioned it doesn't matter what is being argued everyone will be against islam no matter how stupid it sounds
    Ahh thank you so much! And yesss people only care about a certain situation when its about islam. They start bashing a religion just because they have nothing better to do with their lives.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I could rep you more. I couldn't agree more, and not just any religion, as soon as islam is mentioned it doesn't matter what is being argued everyone will be against islam no matter how stupid it sounds
    It also works the other way around. As soon a someone dares to criticise the doctrine of Islam. Theyre called a racist or islamophobic. No matter if it actaully racist or not. Criticising Islam as a docterine isnt racist as a set of believes isnt a race.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    And our "rules" support freedom of religion. It could be argued that this infringes on that principle.
    That argument was made and debated by the Swiss judges (which you'd know if you'd read the ruling instead of making comments from a position of ignorance).

The ECHR said that it amounted to an “interference [read: not a violation] with religious freedom” but that it was justified by the need to maintain “social integration and cohesion”. Which seems perfectly sensible to me.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sirlancelot5)
    That argument was made and debated by the Swiss judges (which you'd know if you'd read the ruling instead of making comments from a position of ignorance).

The ECHR said that it amounted to an “interference [read: not a violation] with religious freedom” but that it was justified by the need to maintain “social integration and cohesion”. Which seems perfectly sensible to me.
    And that argument can still be made. I did in fact read it.

Interference/Violation mean basically the same thing in this context. I really don't understand why A) Swimming Lessons are mandatory in the first place, and B) Why they have to swim with boys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeYou2Night)
    It also works the other way around. As soon a someone dares to criticise the doctrine of Islam. Theyre called a racist or islamophobic. No matter if it actaully racist or not. Criticising Islam as a docterine isnt racist as a set of believes isnt a race.
    People shouldn't do that that's not right, having opinions on a religion isn't a bad thing as long as people don't generalise groups of people I don't have a problem with it.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't understand why A) Swimming Lessons are mandatory in the first place, and B) Why they have to swim with boys.
    I can help you with those questions:

(a) Teaching all children to swim is essential for any sensible country as it (i) saves lives; (ii) facilitates outlets for healthy recreation and non-impact exercise; (iii) provides a base for recruitment to some careers.

(b) Boys and girls learn together because (i) swimming pools are expensive and getting sufficient time for two classes is not always either possible or cost-effective; (ii) it causes less disruption to the rest of the timetable; (iii) it helps to foster familiarity between the sexes and a cohesive society comfortable with local mores.

I can actually vouch for planta here though. He's not an islamophobe nor is he a Muslim hater/racist/bad person.
      There's a difference between criticising Islam and actually hating Muslims.

People shouldn't do that that's not right, having opinions on a religion isn't a bad thing as long as people don't generalise groups of people I don't have a problem with it.
      A lot of the people on here don't actually hate Muslims.
      It might seem like it bc of the language they use but they're actually really nice people with very strong opinions and I say this bc I'm friends with/friendly with some of them. That being said though there are a few that are actually deplorable but they're usually always getting banned/somehow avoid getting banned.
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Good bloke)
      I can help you with those questions:

(a) Teaching all children to swim is essential for any sensible country as it (i) saves lives; (ii) facilitates outlets for healthy recreation and non-impact exercise; (iii) provides a base for recruitment to some careers.

(b) Boys and girls learn together because (i) swimming pools are expensive and getting sufficient time for two classes is not always either possible or cost-effective; (ii) it causes less disruption to the rest of the timetable; (iii) it helps to foster familiarity between the sexes and a cohesive society comfortable with local mores.
      So the UK isn't a sensible country then? I wasn't taught to swim at school, but I can still do it.

ReputationRep:
      So the UK isn't a sensible country then? I wasn't taught to swim at school, but I can still do it.
      Many schools do have swimming lessons. Not all have easy access to a pool. I don't suppose all Swiss schools do either. That some schools cannot do it is not a good reason for those that can not to do it.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.