Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Swiss win EU case - Muslim girls must swim with boys watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    So what is the relevance of free study periods?
    They can have free periods. It's a class a week or something. It'd be so easily catered for I'm not sure what's the problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainbowMan)
    They can have free periods. It's a class a week or something. It'd be so easily catered for I'm not sure what's the problem.
    So you are saying the school should make special supervision for these girls (earlier you said you had no idea what that word even means)?

Also, are you suggesting the school cater to outside demands?

Why should they not also cater to other demands?

ReputationRep:
    So you are saying the school should make special supervision for these girls (earlier you said you had no idea what that word even means)?

What do you mean "special"? you make it sound like it's unheard of to have free periods in whatever grade those kids were in.

ReputationRep:
    Well if they don't like it, I know a great swimming pool in Saudi Arabia they may want to live near!

ReputationRep:
    Good.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean "special"? you make it sound like it's unheard of to have free periods in whatever grade those kids were in.
    You are just getting embarrassing.

Even assuming free periods are a standard thing for pre-teens, you would still argue that a free period coerced by parents that has to be especially set up for the two girls while the rest of their peers are in class, is not special?

There is merit to having an opinion that one believes is based on good values and arguing for it. But then there is grasping at straws because one is unwilling to admit one was wrong.

ReputationRep:
    You are just getting embarrassing.

Even assuming free periods are a standard thing for pre-teens, you would still argue that a free period coerced by parents that has to be especially set up for the two girls while the rest of their peers are in class, is not special?

There is merit to having an opinion that one believes is based on good values and arguing for it. But then there is grasping at straws because one is unwilling to admit one was wrong.
    I'm getting embarrassing? or you who suggests that it is not "socially acceptable" and "easy" to have Muslim kids have a swimming class on Monday and non-Muslim kids (or Muslim kids whose parents are ok mixed swimming classes) have a class on Tuesday.

Enough with deluded morons.

ReputationRep:

I think you will find that in most schools there are kids who will not be able to go swimming either through disability, illness or allergies. They are excused and have to be supervised elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting embarrassing? or you who suggests that it is not "socially acceptable" and "easy" to have Muslim kids have a swimming class on Monday and non-Muslim kids (or Muslim kids whose parents are ok mixed swimming classes) have a class on Tuesday.

Yes you are. You ignored all points and keep basing your argument off of belief rather than reasoning.

You have now also brought us back to the beginning of our argument where you said it's easy and ok and I said it's not, and you concluded I am wrong and you are right because I am a deluded moron.

I usually hate ad hominem accusations, but man, that is a classic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nutz99)
    I think you will find that in most schools there are kids who will not be able to go swimming either through disability, illness or allergies. They are excused and have to be supervised elsewhere.
    And so they may. Those are all legitimate reasons that make them unable to partake.

A superstition is not.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you are. You ignored all points and keep basing your argument off of belief rather than reasoning.

You have now also brought us back to the beginning of our argument where you said it's easy and ok and I said it's not, and you concluded I am wrong and you are right because I am a deluded moron.

I usually hate ad hominem accusations, but man, that is a classic.
    I ignored nothing, I argued that A) it's self-evidently easy to cater to such kids and B) that it is in fact socially acceptable because it happens in other ways (meals, disabilities, etc)

It's you who said I'm getting"embarassing" btw. Now you get butthurt 'cos I bite back.

Sorry.

And learn what an ad hominem is before you use the term btw. I didn't reject your arguments because you're a moron. Although you are a moron, I presented reasons for rejecting your arguments. Sorry "arguments".

ReputationRep:
    Yes there clearly is. Just like if a parent was raising its child to be vegetarian, it would be unjust to force it to eat meat in the cafeteria. Just like if a parent was raising its child to be atheist, it would be unjust to force it to proclaim and pronounce that there's only one God and his name is Allah.
    Hypothetically, say the parents of a child were part of a new religion which, for whatever bizarre reason, interpreted a religious text to mean that white people should not associate with black people. By your logic, would you feel it would be unjust for white parents to be forced to have their children associate with black people when it fundamentally contradicts their religious beliefs?

ReputationRep:
    I ignored nothing, I argued that A) it's self-evidently easy to cater to such kids and B) that it is in fact socially acceptable because it happens in other ways (meals, disabilities, etc)

It's you who said I'm getting"embarassing" btw. Now you get butthurt 'cos I bite back.

Sorry.

And learn what an ad hominem is before you use the term btw. I didn't reject your arguments because you're a moron. Although you are a moron, I presented reasons for rejecting your arguments. Sorry "arguments".
    In the post you called me a moron, you presented no arguments. You stated the issue again and concluded I was wrong because I am a moron. Maybe you are a moron if you are so incapable?

A) I argued it is not and B) those are legitimate reasons. Motives matter in life...

ReputationRep:
    In the post you called me a moron, you presented no arguments. You stated the issue again and concluded I was wrong because I am a moron. Maybe you are a moron if you are so incapable?

A) I argued it is not and B) those are legitimate reasons. Motives matter in life...
    I have posted a shitload of posts and presented arguments so yeah I even summarised them for you. They're there for all to see. Maybe you think I'm "embarrassing" because you're a moron. Who knows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    Really not sure how I feel about this as it is probably an infringement on religious freedom. They shouldn't be forced to swim with boys, but they certainly shouldn't be allocated their own separate pool either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iridocyclitis)
    Hypothetically, say the parents of a child were part of a new religion which, for whatever bizarre reason, interpreted a religious text to mean that white people should not associate with black people. By your logic, would you feel it would be unjust for white parents to be forced to have their children associate with black people when it fundamentally contradicts their religious beliefs?
    Yes that would be a problem because this means that they couldn't co-exist in society.

Why's that relevant here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charzhino)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38569428

To sum it up the European Court of Human Rights have backed up Swirzerland in a case where Muslim parents refused to send their young daughters to swimmimg classes which were mixed with other boys due to religious sentiments. The parents where fined, took the case to law and have now lost again.

Is this a straight forward ruling or is there a debate to be had whether the parents freedom of religious beliefs were impinged on and essentially told they were being bad parents?
    Of course the right of freedom of belief is a right that people should have, however I don't believe that after migrating to a country you should expect things to change to accommodate your beliefs. They need to integrate and that's a vital part of successful immigration.

ReputationRep:
    I would be fine with this law as long as they allow Muslims to choose whether they want to attend these classes in the first place. They shouldn't be forced to do this if they don't want to.

ReputationRep:
    I have posted a shitload of posts and presented arguments so yeah I even summarised them for you. They're there for all to see. Maybe you think I'm "embarrassing" because you're a moron. Who knows.
    Keep ranting it's not gonna make you right. Nor is me not accepting your "arguments" making me wrong. If all you can do is resort to moron then maybe you should stop debating.

ReputationRep:
    You can always tell who is losing the argument when the gratuitous personal insults start flying.

Have you ever known 12 year olds have free periods in state schools? I haven't.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 21, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.