Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Please can someone help me break this down as simple as possible? i just dont know where to start.

Evaluate both the reliability and validity of the research method being used. In your answer make sure that you relate to the piece of research abelow.

In a study 100 homes were fitted with video cameras to record the interaction between the child and parent to investigate the effect of adult speech on the language development of their child.
    Before the data was analysed from the study a response chart was devised which allowed recording of the interaction. For example: Did the parent initiate conversations? What was the response when the chid made a sound?
    After the recordings were made 2 researchers both watched each homes video footage and used the response chart to record what they had seen and heard.

thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    Well the first thing you have to talk about is where the study took place. The study took place in their homes which is the natural place this would occur-putting the adults and children in a lab environment would not be the same. Therefore, it gives the experiment a high external validity because the results were obtained through a natural environment which means they could be generalised.

However, you could say that it is very likely that the people knew that the cameras were put in their homes (they were being watched) so demand characteristics would be a problem. For example, social desirability may take as place as the parents will want to present the way society tells them they should. This means the results may lack reliability as the parents may act differently how they naturally would.

So, basically just talk about the experimental design, the sampling method an demand characteristics and how that effects the validity and reliability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chinya01)
    Please can someone help me break this down as simple as possible? i just dont know where to start.

Evaluate both the reliability and validity of the research method being used. In your answer make sure that you relate to the piece of research abelow.

In a study 100 homes were fitted with video cameras to record the interaction between the child and parent to investigate the effect of adult speech on the language development of their child.
    Before the data was analysed from the study a response chart was devised which allowed recording of the interaction. For example: Did the parent initiate conversations? What was the response when the chid made a sound?
    After the recordings were made 2 researchers both watched each homes video footage and used the response chart to record what they had seen and heard.

thank you in advance
    Do you know what the difference is between reliability and validity? Reliability& reliability is a property of something you measure. Use the simple example of taking someone's temperature - you test reliability by taking the temperature twice for each participant, and examining whether you get the same results. You test if your instrument is valid by comparing it with another method of assessing temperature (e.g. with an electronic themometer).

In this case your measuring adult speech (and child language development), but the same principles apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iammichealjackson)
    Do you know what the difference is between reliability and validity? Reliability& reliability is a property of something you measure. Use the simple example of taking someone's temperature - you test reliability by taking the temperature twice for each participant, and examining whether you get the same results. You test if your instrument is valid by comparing it with another method of assessing temperature (e.g. with an electronic themometer).

In this case your measuring adult speech (and child language development), but the same principles apply.

yes i understand that the reliability of any method of measurement (e.g. interview, questionnaire) refers to how consistently it measures and the different types external etc and a valid test, tool method will measure what it is supposed to measure.

I am just struggling where to start with the scenario, I don’t know if I’m over thinking it or just not getting it and i've already failed one exam

ReputationRep:
    Good starting points in post 2. Some more things to think about:

(Original post by chinya01)
    So they are making a causal hypothesis. Does this design allow testing for causality?

What is a potential problem if only 1 person records what happens? Why is 2 better? What checks should be done across the 2 people?

Also, the question is about development. How long was each home observed for?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.