Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thinking of travelling Europe Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm thinking of inter railing through Europe in June and was looking for cheap accommodation, I came across a programme called angloTEFL that offers free hotel accommodation in return for me speaking English.

My question is has anybody ever heard of this programme? It all seems a bit too good to be true.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesinginglark)
    Hi all,

I'm thinking of inter railing through Europe in June and was looking for cheap accommodation, I came across a programme called angloTEFL that offers free hotel accommodation in return for me speaking English.

My question is has anybody ever heard of this programme? It all seems a bit too good to be true.
    Never heard of it, but sounds like they're taking advantage of you - TEFL teachers should be able to earn a proper salary rather than just some free accommodation... That being said, if you haven't got a TEFL qualification and they'll let you join the program for just a short period of time (e.g. a few weeks while you're travelling, rather than a 6 month contract) it could be a cheap way to stay in an expensive city. Make sure you check out the full details of the contract though - how many hours of teaching and at what times of day (i.e. will you actually have time to explore the city when the main attractions are still open)? Do you have to commit to a minimum length of time? Are there penalties if you leave earlier? Is food included too? Are there any other duties expected of you (e.g. lesson planning, setting homework, working in the hotel, etc.)? What age are most students? Are they expecting full on lessons (i.e. do you need to do lesson planning, homework marking, test setting, etc.), conversational english practice, or basically just babysitting younger kids? Do they offer any training (if not, avoid unless you already have loads of TEFL experience...)? Do they require you to have a TEFL certificate, and at what level? Will they sponsor you to do a TEFL certificate?

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

i heard of it .

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I think it means you teaching English

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    If it seems like TEFL will take up a lot of your time during your travels, think about how much it would cost otherwise to stay in that city. If you can get cheap hostel accommodation for £10 a night (or less in many places!) that essentially is what they are paying you - £10 a day... You would probably be better off working in the UK for a month or two (e.g. working in a local shop, doing private tutoring, etc.) to save up the money to go travelling independently without being tied down to a TEFL contract
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Also, I've had several friends who've gone inter railing and you generally only spend a few days, max a week, in each city - you really don't want to be tied down to one place too long...

TEFL is a really good option for people who want to stay in one city for a reasonable length of time, experience the culture, and earn a good salary - so this program probably isn't the best for you if you just want to do it while inter railing...

ReputationRep:
    The company offer a free sponsored TEFL course with the programme. I just booked up for two weeks one in Poland the other in Hungary. I'll let you all know how I get on. Thanks for all of the advice I really appreciate it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.