Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Weird to change your name via deedpoll? Watch

• View Poll Results: Weird to change your first name officially via deedpoll?
    Yes
    25.00%
    No
    75.00%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    Thank you.
    Hahaha :rofl: maybe it's the 'common-ness' of it.
    I know what you mean, my old name was common as dirt and I hated it :rofl:
    I don't think it's a super common one though? Maybe it is wherever you are.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SkyRees)
    I know what you mean, my old name was common as dirt and I hated it :rofl:
    I don't think it's a super common one though? Maybe it is wherever you are.
    Jacob's not so bad haha.
    Maybe, I always hear some disgruntled parent shouting for 'Olivia' to come back. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Jacob's not so bad haha.
    Maybe, I always hear some disgruntled parent shouting for 'Olivia' to come back. :rofl:
    I can hear the exact same even now! Probably cause mum still calls me Jacob to be fair
    I hate it so so much I'm glad it's gone :lol:
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I can hear the exact same even now! Probably cause mum still calls me Jacob to be fair
    I hate it so so much I'm glad it's gone :lol:
    Purposefully?
    :rofl::rofl:

(Original post by littlenorthernlass)
      I've wanted to change my first name for a very long time due to a life-long dislike of it.

Do you think this is weird?

My best friend sulks whenever I mention it - he says it's weird to change your name and that it would affect our friendship because he won't be able to take me seriously anymore.
      I've never thought changing your name was a big deal - if you've got a good reason to do it, then why not? My parents are very supportive about it because from a young age I have complained about my name. They say do it now, officially, whilst I'm still young.

So, do you think it's weird to change your name via deedpoll?
      Knowing your actual name, I don't get what's wrong with it. It's a good, strong name, and seems well-suited to a young woman - or a woman of any age. You could have a much worse name.

That said, if you do do it, do it with real sincerity of purpose, with complete conviction, and with a total desire to use that name and only that name for the rest of your life.

Offtopic: one of my friends once got really pissed, woke up the following morning to find out he'd got a Deed Poll and changed his name to Big Crazy Lester before going to bed.

ReputationRep:
      Purposefully?
      :rofl::rofl:
      Maybe, she never approved of me changing it :rofl::rofl:
      • Political Ambassador
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      Maybe, she never approved of me changing it :rofl::rofl:
      Aw. :rofl::rofl:
      I guess my parents wouldn't be too pleased if I changed my name.

My middle name's even worse tbh.

ReputationRep:
      My name isn't one of the best. It's prone to ridicule. It's often misspelled, mispronounced and misprinted. Despite all these downers it's an awesome, yet awkward, means to "break the ice". It has its upsides depending on your vantage point.

I will change it over my dead body.

ReputationRep:
      Aw. :rofl::rofl:
      I guess my parents wouldn't be too pleased if I changed my name.

My middle name's even worse tbh.
      If you want to though, it's not rly their choice. They might be sad but they'd get over it with time I think.
      Do tell? Mine are Lucis Byron, which tbh I actually really like (and didn't change)
      • Political Ambassador
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      If you want to though, it's not rly their choice. They might be sad but they'd get over it with time I think.
      Do tell? Mine are Lucis Byron, which tbh I actually really like (and didn't change)
      True, but I'm kind of lazy haha.

Yours is cool, mine's stupid; Grace, eww.
      • Very Important Poster
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      Nah, I like my name. I don't think any other name suits me tbh...

I definitely don't look like a Raj or a Rafael anyway so those names are out of the question. I guess I'd go for Thor though, since why not :cool:

ReputationRep:
      True, but I'm kind of lazy haha.

Yours is cool, mine's stupid; Grace, eww.
      Well...this is awkward. That's like one of my absolute favourite names. ^^'

ReputationRep:
      I think it shouldn't be seen as weird. I've enrolled mine recently and depending on your age, it shouldn't be such a hassle to do once everything is sorted. Maybe you do get the odd funny joke about it.

It should be a nice experience to go through.
      • Political Ambassador
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      Well...this is awkward. That's like one of my absolute favourite names. ^^'
      Name:  Untitled 11.png
Views: 25
Size:  265.8 KB

ReputationRep:
      Name:  Untitled 11.png
Views: 25
Size:  265.8 KB
      Name:  OBAMAWTF.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  9.4 KB
      idk
      • Political Ambassador
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      Name:  OBAMAWTF.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  9.4 KB
      idk

(Original post by Inexorably)
      Not at all, there is nothing wrong with changing something you're not happy about I encourage you wholeheartedly to go for it, regardless of what others think about it.

It's your life and your name, not theirs.

The only problem is that your family not might approve at all, in which case you'll just have to tell them it's not their choice.
      My parents approve, my mum actually suggested the new name (we'd discussed it years ago, actually). She also said that if she'd heard of the new name when I was born, she would have called me it rather than my current name. :eek:

(Original post by Tootles)
      Knowing your actual name, I don't get what's wrong with it. It's a good, strong name, and seems well-suited to a young woman - or a woman of any age. You could have a much worse name.

That said, if you do do it, do it with real sincerity of purpose, with complete conviction, and with a total desire to use that name and only that name for the rest of your life.

Offtopic: one of my friends once got really pissed, woke up the following morning to find out he'd got a Deed Poll and changed his name to Big Crazy Lester before going to bed.
      I don't think you know my real real name... I actually go by my middle name usually, which is what I've told everyone I'm called for the last several years.:lol:
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      A friend of mine changed his name shortly before he got married. He only changed his surname, and I *think* the surname he took up was one that came from somewhere in his mother's family rather than his father's name that he'd had since birth. He didn't have a good relationship with his (now dead) alcoholic father, so I strongly suspect this was one of the reasons he changed it.

(Original post by littlenorthernlass)
        I don't think you know my real real name... I actually go by my middle name usually, which is what I've told everyone I'm called for the last several years.:lol:
        Well in that case I'd be tempted to just use your middle name :lol: it's a perfectly good name, and it saves you fifty quid- it's just a case of introducing yourself with that name and not your first. My dad and his mother were like that - they are/were always called by their middle names. On occasion I've used my middle name (Francis, or Frankie, as opposed to Mark) as well.

I still say it could be worse

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 10, 2017
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources
      AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.