Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hello, so my current situation is that i am in my second year in college studying BTEC Extended Diploma Medical Science and I am 18 years old, turning 19 in August. I did a year of AS levels and did not do well, only had a grade C in Biology and B in Psychology. I want to go to a good uni in London or somewhere close to London and study medical/biology or chemistry based course and my predicted grades are DDD (but im aiming for D*D*D*) and i have achieved a D in the first year, however I did not have great GCSE results from June 2014.
    English literature- C
    English language- C
    Maths- B
    Biology - B
    Chemistry- C
    Physics- C
    I am also taking a gap year and applying to uni this September after i have my results for 2nd year, do you think it would be worth to retake english language to a higher grade as most unis require at least a grade B in english? and any other GCSE or A level? Also heard this June is the last chance to retake GCSE/A level so i am considering taking it in June.
    Thank you for your time! I really need advice

    I would say that if you think you can do it, and it won't take away a lot of your time, it is worth retaking english language and perhaps even maths to get a B/A. As you say a lot of unis do require a B or A in English Language and Maths
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Study tools


Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.


Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.


Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.


Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.