Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi just wondering if someone could explain this to me?

Finished the statics chapter just over a week ago and currently going through review exercise 2. Just wondered why they could resolve to find Mew (friction coefficient) separately for each ring? Is it because the friction coefficient is always the same for both rings?

If that is the case and they instead asked me to find Friction and gave me the friction coefficient could I resolve for one ring or would I have to do so for the whole system?

Teaching myself m1 so any explanation would be great thanks!!
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  490.5 KB
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AJA1994)

Finished the statics chapter just over a week ago and currently going through review exercise 2. Just wondered why they could resolve to find Mew (friction coefficient) separately for each ring? Is it because the friction coefficient is always the same for both rings?

If that is the case and they instead asked me to find Friction and gave me the friction coefficient could I resolve for one ring or would I have to do so for the whole system?

:five: I'm self-teaching the same thing and found trouble with the review exercise. When are your exams btw? January or June?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reshyna)
    :five: I'm self-teaching the same thing and found trouble with the review exercise. When are your exams btw? January or June?
    My exams are in June, have you tried UKMathsTeacher on YouTube? He was great help understanding before I started the exercises.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    My exams are in June, have you tried UKMathsTeacher on YouTube? He was great help understanding before I started the exercises.
    No I haven't but thanks. I'll try them.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:

I don't have time to help now. Please tag me if you haven't received a reply by the end of today and I'll take a look.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    I don't have time to help now. Please tag me if you haven't received a reply by the end of today and I'll take a look.
    Okay I'll quote you? Don't know how to tag I'm new. Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    Taking account of (a) symmetry, (b) the fact that the ring C is smooth, and (c) the whole system being in equilibrium, you can say that the string tension acting on ring A is the same as the string tension acting on ring B. In terms of forces, once you've worked out the string tension in part (a), you know everything you need to know about the forces acting on both the rings A and B. Therefore you can look at just one of them in isolation to work out the coefficient of friction. The question implies that there is just one coefficient of friction.

Pretty much the same applies if they had given the coefficient of friction and asked for the force due to friction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by old_engineer)
    Taking account of (a) symmetry, (b) the fact that the ring C is smooth, and (c) the whole system being in equilibrium, you can say that the string tension acting on ring A is the same as the string tension acting on ring B. In terms of forces, once you've worked out the string tension in part (a), you know everything you need to know about the forces acting on both the rings A and B. Therefore you can look at just one of them in isolation to work out the coefficient of friction. The question implies that there is just one coefficient of friction.

Pretty much the same applies if they had given the coefficient of friction and asked for the force due to friction.
    So under what circumstances can I look at a particle in isolation for future questions? When there is symmetry?
    I thought tension was equal due to the fact that the string was light? (UkMathsTeacher)

ReputationRep:
    So under what circumstances can I look at a particle in isolation for future questions? When there is symmetry?
    I thought tension was equal due to the fact that the string was light? (UkMathsTeacher)
    It's difficult to give a universal answer to that, but once you've reached the stage where you know all the forces acting on a particle (or all the forces bar one, when you already know the coefficient of friction), you can then focus on that particle to work out whatever is the remaining unknown.

Of course you will often have to refer to other parts of the overall system in determining all the forces acting on a particular particle.

Things will get more complicated with some systems, where you can end up equations for two points in the system and still have two unknowns. You then have to employ elimination or (more likely) substitution to get rid of one of the unknowns and then solve for the remaining one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by old_engineer)
    It's difficult to give a universal answer to that, but once you've reached the stage where you know all the forces acting on a particle (or all the forces bar one, when you already know the coefficient of friction), you can then focus on that particle to work out whatever is the remaining unknown.

Of course you will often have to refer to other parts of the overall system in determining all the forces acting on a particular particle.

Things will get more complicated with some systems, where you can end up equations for two points in the system and still have two unknowns. You then have to employ elimination or (more likely) substitution to get rid of one of the unknowns and then solve for the remaining one.
    I hear you mate, thanks a lot for the time and detailed answers!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.