Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

World Cup 2026 Expansion - Its An Elite Tournament Not A School Sports Day Watch

ReputationRep:
    FIFA can hide behind the inclusivity meme all they want, we all know this is about profit.

Even Blatter didn't manage to ruin the World Cup, although he had a damn good try giving it to Qatar.

So let's all strap in and look forward to weeks of Chad Vs Taiwan, in a tournament where everyone gets a medal and there are no losers, for weeks on end.

http://bit.ly/2iehQzQ
    • TSR Support Team

TSR Support Team
    Clearly they are doing it to get more money.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Damien96)
    FIFA can hide behind the inclusivity meme all they want, we all know this is about profit.

Even Blatter didn't manage to ruin the World Cup, although he had a damn good try giving it to Qatar.

So let's all strap in and look forward to weeks of Chad Vs Taiwan, in a tournament where everyone gets a medal and there are no losers, for weeks on end.

http://bit.ly/2iehQzQ
    Tbh, as a person from Taiwan (Football team is called Chinese Taipei actually) I would love to see us in the World Cup, but concedes that it will probably be ugly to watch.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    Clearly they are doing it to get more money.
    Absolutely and hiding behind the "Inclusivity" meme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    Tbh, as a person from Taiwan (Football team is called Chinese Taipei actually) I would love to see us in the World Cup, but concedes that it will probably be ugly to watch.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah apologies for my ignorance.

Wouldn't it mean a hell of a lot more to qualify for the tournament with a sense of acheivement and not be one of many mediocre teams?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Ah apologies for my ignorance.

Wouldn't it mean a hell of a lot more to qualify for the tournament with a sense of acheivement and not be one of many mediocre teams?
    Honestly I completely agree and think this expansion is a dumb idea

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    Honestly I completely agree and think this expansion is a dumb idea

Posted from TSR Mobile
    One of the examples used as to why it's a good idea was Euro 2016, where small sides did well. But if a third of the tournament is made of of poor sides then of course some will do well. Added to that, Iceland and N Ireland would have qualified anyway as they won their group and Wales would have had a play off and likely won that.

The expansion there gave us Ukraine, Albania, Turkey, Sweden, Ireland and Hungary, with some extra from the play offs, None went past the second round, most went out in the group stage.

Also it was weeks of football to eliminate 8 sides and the knock out stage was so skewered with one side of the draw cointaining nearly all the quality.

ReputationRep:
    Safe spaces for rich countries with crap players(china looking at you).

ReputationRep:
    Money and politics are the motivating factor for Infantino. The expansion of the World Cup will mean more income for the organisation plus Fox TV, who had an unobstructed route for the rights, get more games.

Politics as Infantino can promise spaces for smaller countries in returns for votes and embed himself in long-term like his predecessor did. I know he was Platini's ally but I, and many others, hoped he would be different but it's the status quo at the top controlling the agenda yet again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bammy jastard 27)
    And for advertisers, TV companies and all the other parasites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    Money and politics are the motivating factor for Infantino. The expansion of the World Cup will mean more income for the organisation plus Fox TV, who had an unobstructed route for the rights, get more games.

Politics as Infantino can promise spaces for smaller countries in returns for votes and embed himself in long-term like his predecessor did. I know he was Platini's ally but I, and many others, hoped he would be different but it's the status quo at the top controlling the agenda yet again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It doesn't bode well.

It's short sighted as well, as they are looking to expand into the US, it might be a good thing to offer a World Cup that is worth watching, let alone for everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    Might as well make it 64 and have a properly fomatted competition

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bammy jastard 27)

You cheeky devil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Might as well make it 64 and have a properly fomatted competition
    Exactly and get rid of qualification for top sides, which is fast becoming a farce.

ReputationRep:
    The WC has always been a crap tournament.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l'etranger)
    So let's make it worse?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l'etranger)
    Well, not always. It used to be good until the 90s. Before then the tactical battles between Italy and Brazil used to be very interesting to watch. Two completely different footballing philosophies. I guess the beautiful football of the Dutch getting stifled by German pragmatism was also pretty fun to watch in international football.

Nowadays I am totally bored by the international football I see, they really lack any sort of footballing identity.

ReputationRep:
    So let's make it worse?
    The nature of international football means that the standard of play will always been poor. It's not a big event. I would be more happy if my club won the Champions League (again :smug:) than if England win the WC. Frankly I'd hate to see Rooney's fat ugly smile and the chavvy England fans celebrating if England were ever to win anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James.Carnell)
    Well, not always. It used to be good until the 90s. Before then the tactical battles between Italy and Brazil used to be very interesting to watch. Two completely different footballing philosophies. I guess the beautiful football of the Dutch getting stifled by German pragmatism was also pretty fun to watch in international football.

Nowadays I am totally bored by the international football I see, they really lack any sort of footballing identity.
    Spain dominating with possession football had a lot to do with it. That being said euro 2012 has been the best international tournament this decade that ive watched.

ReputationRep:
    It will be really watered down with that many involved. And 16 groups of three??!!

That means one teams sits out while the others play. So the last game will mean those two sides know EXACTLY what is required to get through. They could easily oust the team not playing as Austria and Germany did in Spain 1982 to oust Algeria who had played their last match earlier.

That incident meant that all group games had to be played simultaneously ever since (in both Euros and World Cups) but that's out of the window with groups of three. What a load of crap it will be.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.