Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

World Cup 2026 Expansion - Its An Elite Tournament Not A School Sports Day Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bammy jastard 27)
    Spain dominating with possession football had a lot to do with it. That being said euro 2012 has been the best international tournament this decade that ive watched.
    Personally I think a world cup winning Italian team with classic 90's Serie A anti-football tactics would have been the team to beat them.

Spain did not really have any solid opposition. I mean their world cup win was against a very average Dutch side. I mean with the exception of Portugal and Germany, Spain didn't really have a tough road to the final.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darwinion)
    It will be really watered down with that many involved. And 16 groups of three??!!

That means one teams sits out while the others play. So the last game will mean those two sides know EXACTLY what is required to get through. They could easily oust the team not playing as Austria and Germany did in Spain 1982 to oust Algeria who had played their last match earlier.

That incident meant that all group games had to be played simultaneously ever since (in both Euros and World Cups) but that's out of the window with groups of three. What a load of crap it will be.
    I hadn't thought of that. Yeah that's a disaster waiting to happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James.Carnell)
    Well, not always. It used to be good until the 90s.
    '98
    '06
    '14

All great tournaments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    '98
    '06
    '14

All great tournaments.
    Didn't really enjoy any of them.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't really enjoy any of them.
    How is this possible?

'98 was full of great games, legendary players and goals and didn't have a boring final relative to other recent finals. '06 same again, only complaint was Brazil being so bad.

'14 started off really well then got cagey toward the end but overall it was one of the better tournaments. 7-1, Suarez biting Chiellini, USA vs Belgium, Rooney's corner vs Italy... So many exciting moments.

Euro 2008 & WC 2010 were the bad ones imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    How is this possible?

'98 was full of great games, legendary players and goals and didn't have a boring final relative to other recent finals. '06 same again, only complaint was Brazil being so bad.

'14 started off really well then got cagey toward the end but overall it was one of the better tournaments. 7-1, Suarez biting Chiellini, USA vs Belgium, Rooney's corner vs Italy... So many exciting moments.

Euro 2008 & WC 2010 were the bad ones imo.
    2002 was a terible tournament. All the quality players were injured it seemed. 3 o fthe 4 teams in the semis were utterly mediocre.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think a world cup winning Italian team with classic 90's Serie A anti-football tactics would have been the team to beat them.

Spain did not really have any solid opposition. I mean their world cup win was against a very average Dutch side. I mean with the exception of Portugal and Germany, Spain didn't really have a tough road to the final.
    With the exception of two teams? One being a great German team. That and the Dutch kicking lumps out of them without punsihment in the final. You don't win 3 competitions in a row without being exceptional.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.